1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

OT - Boxing Hagler v Minter 1980

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by TootingExcess, Oct 8, 2013.

1. TootingExcess

TootingExcess Well-Known Member

2. Busy Being Headhunted

Busy Being Headhunted Well-Known Member

Minter was expected to win but was totally outclassed by a legend in boxing

3. danishqp

danishqp Well-Known Member

Wasn't there but listened to it on the radio - How times have changed heh! -
    The dissapointment in the commentatos voices that night at the end was palpable - One of the biggest disgraces that an all time great like Hagler was unable to celebrate reaching his life's dream.

4. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

The whole scenario was stoked by Minter's stupid pre-fight jibe that he wasn't going to lose his title to a 'black man'. Shameful that after being systematically avoided by all the other top middleweights of the late 70s, when Hagler finally got his chance and took it he wasn't allowed the 'glory' of being presented with the belt in the ring...

5. inkedupp

inkedupp Active Member

he never fought in England again. he took out his frustration on tony sibson. gave him a right hiding.

6. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Duran. Haven't bothered much with boxing since then. Great days.

7. Sooperhoop

He took it out on every boxer he fought, his biography gives an intriguing insight into his 'fight mode', a complete Jekyll & Hyde character. His fight with Tommy Hearns was the ultimate in two great boxers not taking a step backwards...

8. Madrid_Ranger

Madrid_Ranger Well-Known Member

On a previous thread posters were name-dropping effortlessly and I was trying to remember who I had met to join the post, anyway I thought about mentioning Lennox Lewis who I met at his book signing but then most people could have done that if they just queued up for his book. In light of this thread however I remembered one of those 'big' Thursday nights out which were so common place in London in the nineties. Anyway after ending up in Stringfellows, yeah it's that tacky, I thought I'd burn some leather on the dance floor as you do three sheets to the wind, I think I was trying to keep myself upright as opposed to any genuine dance moves when I fell backwards and bumped into someone, I turned to apologise but couldn't see anyone directly in front of me ( I'm 1.8) then I look down and there was this immaculately dressed black man with a really tall leggy blonde. Like most I was a big fan of the 'Kings of the Ring' and instantly recognized Marvelous Marvin, then I took another look and realized he was as wide as he was tall and looked in absolutely peak fitness. I apologized for my Mr Blobby moves and had a little chat, I completely forgot I was pissed so I must have sounded like a complete tool. Anyway for me he was one of the best fighters to have ever graced the ring, the only modern fighters now with his ferocity are the Mexicans. He was also a true gent.
    And boy did he give Minter a hiding!.

9. stick

stick Bumper King

I saw Minter fight once at Wembley against a guy called Vito Antufermo and I don't remember the fight at all but on the under-card was a match between John Feeney and Johnny Owen. These two bantamweights just stood toe to toe and hit each other for three minutes every single round. I have never seen a bout like it before or since. Sadly Johnny Owen lost his life in the ring shortly after when boxing a South American for the World title I think. Such a shame, the guy just didn't know reverse!

The Leonard, Hagler, Hearns era was without doubt the golden age for boxing.

10. rrrrrs

rrrrrs Well-Known Member

Had the pleasure if meeting Marvellous Marvin in a bar in the very rough town of Lewiston Maine. I think he was in between making films in Italy. Nice man, played darts with my friend & got the beers in.

11. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I've never seen anything quite like this, before or since.

[video=youtube_share;laf4nLHiZlg]http://youtu.be/laf4nLHiZlg[/video]

12. Madrid_Ranger

And you never will! As Pedro's buddy said.....sweet!

13. Madrid_Ranger

I also just remembered that I first thought that the guy I bumped into was in fact Errol Brown! good job I had the sense not to start singing ' I believe in miracles' because I might have needed one!

14. Sooperhoop

It only lasted three rounds but no-one asked for their money back!...

15. Madrid_Ranger

That's because Marvin was looking after the gate receipts!

16. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

This was a great era for boxing. One match that always stuck in my mind was the first match between Welshman Colin Jones and Milton McCrory of the US which ended in a draw. Jones was as hard as nails and took shot after shot after shot from the technically better gifted and larger American, but just kept on coming at him. Ended in a draw, but sadly Jones got beaten in the rematch. Great fight to watch, though.

17. Queenslander!!

Queenslander!! Well-Known Member

Totally agree with all of this. Marvin was one of my favourite fighters and only Hearns, Duran & leonard were anywhere near him-at that time
    How Minter ever got that titke was ajoke and he was given a first class leasson in how to box by Hagler at Wembley. I wanted to go to that fight but could never afford it.

Also got to give a shout to Iron Mike, Chavez, The Pacman, Watson, Calzaghe, and of course Big Aussie Joe Bugner...<laugh>

18. inkedupp

inkedupp Active Member

hagler is one of the boxers I have tattooed on my arm. I was teary eyed as a kid when I heard he lost to Leonard.
    I've a programme from the Duran-Leonard no mas fight too. not signed unfortunately!

19. TootingExcess

TootingExcess Well-Known Member

I'm still bitter he lost to Leonard - I can only imagine how Marvellous feels!