1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

OT - Über's Open Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Uber_Hoop, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Very good 247. For other debating tricks used by believers in a tight corner, see 'Believing Bullshit' by Stephen Law.

2. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

It's difficult Willy. Faith is belief in something which has not been proved. It bothers me when people say 'you must respect his faith'. I have respect for you as an individual, and huge respect for your putting your case on this thread and defending it in a calm and polite manner, but I'm afraid I have difficulty respecting your faith, because, to me, it doesn't make sense. You are asking for an evidence-based case for my beliefs - where's the evidence for yours?

I believe that the world is round, not flat, because it can be proved to be so.

I believe in evolution, because the evidence for it is overwhelming.

I believe for every drop of rain that falls, a flower grows - no, wait, that's not right............

My point is that I believe in that which has been proven to my satisfaction - anything else is just wishful thinking.

Respect.

3. QPR247

QPR247 Active Member

Actually it's closer to 3000/1.

There are around 3000 worshipped gods of one sort or another around the world. As 99% of those gods demand that its them and only them that is the real god and by worshipping another you're inviting trouble, it's safe to assume that most religious people are almost as atheist as an atheist.

We don't believe in 3000 gods, they don't believe in 2999..............see, we're not that different!!

4. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Anybody want to discuss hope and love?

5. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

6. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

7. Uber_Hoop

What do you think of this, folks?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24455141

Personally I cannot get animated about the impact on the cockroach, but perhaps others might. I probably would if the same thing was applied to a fluffy white kitten.

So, is it fair to put the welfare of Tiddles above the welfare of Roachy, or am I a bigger ****er than you already had me down to be?

8. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Not sure if its much fun as a toy, but if its genuinely contributing to research into neurological disorders they can strap it to me (temporarily).

And I promise I'll stop posting on the God stuff as soon as people stop giving me stuff to bounce off! I think its run its course, hopefully....and on that give us some context for the love and hope discussion.

9. Swords Hoopster.

Swords Hoopster. Well-Known Member

I was about to apologize and went back to read your post again just to make sure I'd actually read it incorrectly, only to find out you edited it at 7:53pm, 7 minutes before your post above!

You're playing games here Herr Uber :)

10. Uber_Hoop

Only for a typo, Swords, nothing else.

11. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

12. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

For 42 years I have been hoping to see QPR win something of significance.. Beginning to this this may fall into the category of 'forlorn hopes', but I'll still keep going.........

13. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

14. Swords Hoopster.

Swords Hoopster. Well-Known Member

I bet it was :emoticon-0105-wink:

15. Queenslander!!

Queenslander!! Well-Known Member

Just a a derivative and change of direction, i have a point I"d like to make.
    I have an issue with the schooling system and (i suppose) teachers. Now before i state my case let me say that I was accepted to Lough-borough Uni (based mainly on my sports achievements) to become a PE teacher...& before you laugh my second subject was a choice of Physics or maths

Anyway, we out here are told that our kids are expected to do approx 30 - 60 mins of homework every day for their development.
    Now my issue is this. If I have to do 60 mins a day, every day at work then i stay & do it..AT WORK. So why don't the teachers work until 4pm instead of quitting at 3pm and expecting parents to do the job for them?
    they have more holidays than any other proffesion on the planet, Their hours are suitable to them, Its not exactly a "high pressure" job considering they have the future of our nation sitting in front of them.
    So maybye we should extend their hours so the parents that pay their wages don't have to do their jobs for them..?

Thoughts...>?

16. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Teachers have good Trade Unions. I think you miss the point about homework though, its meant to encourage independent learning/working. Which doesn't really work when Mummy is looking over her little darlings shoulder all the time.

I think the hours per day are fine, because kids should not really be expected to work longer (at least not productively). The holidays do look excessive compared to the rest of us, but again, would you deny your kids that time? Teachers pay isn't bad, but its not excessive (except at senior levels) in the UK, to be entrusted with our kids. My problem with them is the overall quality and the fact that they close ranks at the first sign of criticism/challenge.

17. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

18. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

I am a neuroscientist....and I can tell you in this country to do that stuff on any higher organism, you would need a home office licence and to jump through the biggest of hoops (no pun inferred)
    Even to cockroaches, this is obscene. As a tool to teach surgeons and scientists as a tool in research...maybe.

But as a fun toy, to get kids interested in science, obscene, disgusting, ought right wrong!
    I think I am as upset over this as WLW has been on this thread.

People are sick

And people are sick whether it is a cocky or a white kitten. If this research is worthwhile do it on yourself...do not torture animals

In 1998, Kevin Warwick became what some people call "the world's first cyborg." To be exact, Warwick, a professor of cybernetics at Reading University, had a radio frequency ID chip implanted in his arm. Years before RFID chips became common, this small implant allowed him to turn on lights by snapping his fingers, or open doors without touching them.

19. Uber_Hoop

Sorry Beth, I must be sick as I feel nothing for the cockroach. Just being honest.

20. Uber_Hoop

It was, but you're completely at liberty to believe me or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.