1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Orient

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 4, 2017.

1. brb

brb CR250

It's quite often said that we don't mind losing but it's in the manner which we lose. Today was a case of I don't mind winning but the manner of that win worries me.

Without being disrespectful to the National League side, they were there for the taking, well certainly in the first half and to only be 1-0 up going into the break left me wondering anything but thoughts of praise.

Don't get me wrong, full credit to Steve Lovell on another great achievement, but he's got one hell of a job!

There were the usual stand out players resulting in us coming away with a 2-1 win but we just didn't seem to flow with any consistency, we seemed disjointed and out of sorts. If it wasn't for Holy's early second half saves this could well have turned into an embarrassment.

I never felt during the game we would lose at any point, I even said after our second goal 'job done' - even when Orient pulled one back it would have taken a complete and utter diabolical collapse of the greatest stupidity for us to lose the game.

In my opinion Lovell made the right choice in substituting Eaves, we was never going to lose, so what's my gripe I hear you say...

Suppose i'd leave that to absent fans today, what was the Gills contingent if you take out the O's supporters, 2k something for a £15 game - It's going to be a long hard winter.

I cannot see a star player thread for this game, but this would be mine;

1. Parker - undeserved stick in the past, and again proves why i like him
    2. Holy - another player that got undeserved stick and proved the fans wrong, 2 great saves
    3. Hessy - as above and proving how **** Taylor was

If it was down to the supporters, the above three players would have been long gone, just goes to show I was right again <whistle> not click bait ;)

Match Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41873491

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    grumpygit likes this.
  2. patchy70

patchy70 Well-Known Member

Noted :emoticon-0148-yes:. I thought I'd had the Star Player down as only for league games, on checking again I did include the FA Cup! A thread is now up for it!

brb likes this.
  3. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Although not a convincing win, it was a win.
    This was the sort of game that we would, and did, lose over the last four years.

brb likes this.
  4. brb

brb CR250

grumpygit - absolutely. I think I can just see the mountain of a task that faces Lovell and to be honest i would not want to be in his shoes. He has done a fantastic job, but do I think he can save us from relegation, well only the coming weeks and months will tell, but based on what i witnessed yesterday in victory I just cannot see us being consistent enough, there is a difference between being passionate enough to want to play for Lovell and having the ability for the long haul winter task ahead.

I think it dawned on me yesterday, that unless something dramatically changes in the transfer window (putting aside the Lovell situation) we are going to be relegated.

Anyway on a more positive note, anyone fancying a quick ale or two before a game, with prompt service, forget the Cricks, forget the Factory, get yourself along to the Past & Present Micro Pub in Skinner Street. Real Ale, no kids, no frills, just a decent pint and no lager louts :)

The Gills PegLeg likes this.
  5. Gills_Steve

Gills_Steve Active Member

No need to be so negative, people! We've actually made it to the FA Cup 2nd round! :)

In 25 years of supporting Gills, I've never seen us play well in the FA Cup 1st round. Even when we got to the quarters, we scraped 3-2 past League 2 Cheltenham in the 1st round, with a woeful performance and hugely fortuitous goals. You just need to get the win in any fashion possible to get to the next round, and on Saturday we did that, for the first time in many years.

brb likes this.