1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

One for the oldies

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by ninian opinion, Feb 18, 2019.

1. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

I recall reading about this win at the time many years ago but have never seen the highlights before.

clingo likes this.
  2. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Great video, Venables missing pen, open goal sitter! Leighton Phillips, Bobby Woodruff, Mel Sutton and Tosh....not to forget “The Don”...and the great favourite Peter King! Enjoyed those times! :emoticon-0103-cool:

3. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Don't recall that game at all. Then again, unlike the elder statesman posting above who remembers John Charles arriving at the club, I was only a sprog.

Looks like it was played between two games I do remember and watched at NP in the ECWC - losing to Hamburg in '68 and beating RM in '71. Still have memories of the night big Don blazed a penalty over the grange stand against Torpedo Moscow (I think - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Those days were something special, and for the life of me I can't remember virtually anything about the league stuff at the time. <doh>

4. Barry Tiger

Barry Tiger Well-Known Member

Me too. Superb goal . Wish I could say I was there but I wasn't. The home game was also won by Cardiff 1 - 0. I was there for that one.

5. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

I as at Loftus Road for that one, even if BT wasn't. Didn't know BT then. Clearly remember the goal but had forgotten about Venables' missed penalty.

We were in the stand right (which was being rebuilt) below the camera. The School end to the right was full of City fans.

If my memory is correct, that was Toshack's last league game before going to Liverpool.

6. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

I will correct you OS pal, it was Moscow Torpedo, somebody I knew went over there for the game. Now sadly deceased, it was unheard of back in the day! Bob Wilson, never the same after letting the third goal in against Hamburg! :emoticon-0103-cool:

7. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I was in the right hand grandstand enclosure and right behind that Honig powder puff shot that got their third - never been so gutted in my life at the time and probably not since. <doh>

8. BluefromBridgend

That was my first time on the Grange as a 14 year old from a quiet background. Life was never the same again.

9. ninian opinion

Interesting to see the home fans applauding the tremendous goal by Philipps.

Bit before my travelling days so interested to know what the city travelling support like then, numbers wise and had the bovva boys started up by then:emoticon-0146-punch

My first away game was Hereford in 1977 - 2 goals by Leo Sayer when city were down to 10 men after Robin Friday had been sent off<doh>

10. ninian opinion

I’ll have to correct you for it was Dynamo Berlin - I still can see that spot kick flying high over the bar.

It’s about 4 minutes in on this cracking clip

11. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Another good vid NP, I wasn’t questioning the penalty kick opponents...OS said Torpedo Moscow, instead of Moscow Torpedo! He could have been kidding of course, like you with your Leo thingy! I’m so old now anything is possible... 53 next Birthday! :emoticon-0103-cool:

12. BluefromBridgend

Guess there were a couple of thousand there that day. Bit of trouble outside the ground - as per normal there.

My first recollection of hooliganism is in 1968/69 when skin head Leicester fans dressed in blue overalls and wearing steel toe capped boots attacked the Grange but were firmly removed by Frankie etc before the kick off. Similar occurred with Bristol City and Villa either later that season or 69/70.

Didn't start going away until about 1970 with some interesting trips to Swansea (Welsh Cup Final), Ashtip Gate, Swindon and Oxford. Went to Pompey 2 years running. First one was okay as they were due to play Arsenal at Fratton in the cup and tickets were to be sold on the basis of vouchers collected by attending our game. We paid to get in so got vouchers which we promptly sold to grateful Pompey fans. We won 3.1 and there was a bit of afters on Fratton Station later. The next year we drove down, lost 2.0 and there was not so much bon homie then. Got a bit tasty outside.

Went to Brum 2 years running including the infamous Mel Sutton/Trevor Francis/animals chant game. About 40,000 there that day with 2/3,000 Cardiff fans. Beaten 2.0 and police mostly kept fans apart. The next year we lost 4.0, thrashed, fewer Cardiff fans and we were attacked by home fans while on the away end.

I guess the most famous game for trouble was when Man United got relegated. We were doing badly and home support had dropped. In the week before that game a fence was erected between the Grange and Bob Bank. The Mancs were allocated the Bob Bank and both sets of fans were like lemmings trying to scale the fence to get at each other. After the game the United fans were put to flight and chased all the way back to Cardiff General. That made national news.

Not great reading nowadays but in reality weapons were hardly ever used and the most common injuries were bloody noses from lucky punches. It was not organised and usually just a bit of handbags.

13. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

<doh> Nin - I stand corrected - I knew it was a foreign side anyway........<laugh>

My only excuse is that I was very young at the time, unlike Masky who can't use that one.

14. ninian opinion

I remember watching Grandstand with Frank Bough giving updates on the Man U incidents and seeing this picture on front page of Western Mail on Monday which wasn’t great.
    https://icdn-strettynews-com.cdn.am...content/uploads/2013/11/Cardiff-away-74-5.jpg

It must have been going on around me often but I never saw much apart from some unpleasant home games with Millwall and Chelsea.

15. BluefromBridgend

Must have been a bu££er trying to give someone a kicking while wearing those platforms. Could easily twist your ankle. <yikes>

Not sure whether the kicker or kickee was City or Manc although there is a Manc in a white lab coat in the foreground and the clothing of those around suggests the main group there were Mancs. They soon needed their daps to leg it back to the station though.

16. ninian opinion

I wasn’t around for this one? Anybody here old enough