1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread On The Up Chairboys v Pilgrims 26th Jan 19

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Guywanderer, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Cardiff-Wycombe

Cardiff-Wycombe Well-Known Member

Yeah I’d like to know how he did. I can’t see us keeping GA much longer, when was the last time we were this high up the pyramid?

2. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

Derek Adams throwing his toys out of his pram again,the clown is seriously losing the plot! <laugh><laugh><laugh>

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

With that amount of foresight I should have done the lottery tonight. I haven't fallen totally into despair just yet Rocky but thanks for the sentiment anyway.

4. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

After playing some good stuff for 30 mins and getting a lead before Argyle got into the game we really should have been more that 1-0 up at half time then the second half was a gritty niggley affair not helped by the "sad scottish bastard" and all his antics but all in all we looked far more likely to get a second than Argyle equalising other than kicking the ball out of Alsop's hands or crashing in to him when he was in the air an ok he made a meal of it to kill the game off but if he wasn't fouled in the first place he couldn't stay on the ground receiving treatment.
    Bolton looked decent for his 25 or so minutes he played right mid on the same side as the dug outs and stood up to the task well despite of the antics going on all around him

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Which one of our players was the "sad scottish bastard" Guy? If you mean the manager then he cannot do anything about what's happening on the pitch so can neither help nor hinder. Lets be honest about it. Ainsworth is an astute man who knows very well how to get under Adams skin and wind him up. Wycombe do become negative at times and it is one of Ainsworth's tactics. However, not really complaining as I've seen plenty do it at Home Park this season albeit not so effectively. Ainsworth knows it presses the Plymouth buttons and uses it to get up everyone's nose. Once you silence the supporters from anything positive then it can easily rub off on the pitch.

As for challenging the keeper in the air bit. Why shouldn't he be challenged? Keepers come for crosses and crash into players all the time. For some stupid reason it's deemed that you cannot touch a keeper. It's a bit like tackling these days. You aren't allowed to do very much it seems. I saw an old fashioned shoulder charge in our last home game. It was genuinely shoulder to shoulder and not pushing or shoving. One player went straight on and the other went sideways. He fell down and got...............a free kick. Pathetic and I think sometimes the game is becoming too sanitised. I also think it is definately encouraging diving. Touch me and I will go down and get a free kick. Even more pathetic.

6. Guywanderer

Looks like I pushed a few buttons there

mowgli1960 likes this.
  7. Guywanderer

Great win yesterday. Played some really good stuff first half and ground it out in the second. Fans were brilliant [emoji1547]. Great atmosphere. @wwfcofficial
    From Beano

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Which are the buttons? Para 1 or 2 or both of them. I am not complaining so it isn't actually getting to me. You cannot deny that Wycombe can be "negative". It works so why not. It's up to the opposition to overcome it and if they can't then tough. I don't like watching it personally but if we did it and won every game between now and the end of the season then I might not think it was that bad after all. Ainsworth does what he needs to do in his mind to get a result. Any manager would.

As for the keeper thing well I stand by that. They go up with knees out and fists flaying about. They think nothing of going through a couple of players to punch a ball and if it takes those players out then they think it's ok. Funnily the Refs do as well. But, go near a keeper with any sort of challenge and it's a kick every time. How can that be fair? Far too much protection is what I'm saying and that isn't a go at your man it's a pop at keepers in general.

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Any decent goalkeeper will go for the ball to keep it out of the net and any decent outfield player will go for the ball to get it in the net. If they don't they shouldn't be on the pitch. It's the ref who blows the whistle though. I think it's the refs that you are having a pop at greeny; not the goalies

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

A bit of both really Ron. Refs always side with the keeper no matter what and that does get my goat a bit. But, keepers always moan like a stuck pig if anyone touches them despite what they do themselves. I'm not advocating smashing ten bells out of a keeper but just allowing a forward to challenge at least a bit. It's a man's game or at least it used to be. I think it's all the diving and acting that probably gets me.

There was a prime example in the Chelsea v Shef Wed match this evening. Or rather the tale of two penalty decisions. The first for Shef Wednesday was given then taken away by VAR. It was quite clear that the Chelsea player had cleared the ball first and it wasn't a penalty. Shef Wed players go bananas at Ref. But, the player challenged for the ball knew damn well that he was second to the ball and could easily have just held his hand up. He didn't. The second penalty was given to Chelsea and the Shef Wednesday players went.........you've guessed it bananas because mostly their decision wasn't upheld. Quite clearly their player had stood on the Chelsea players ankle with his studs. Nowhere near the ball and it was clearly a penalty. Was the Shef player about to admit it...............not on your life. Both of those in their own way were cheating. It has become so common now that even supporters seem to be saying it is a legitimate part of the game. It isn't even when it's your own player doing it. I would never under any circumstances agree it was ok even if it won us a match if it was our's. I think if you want to see fantasy sport then you should restrict yourself to WWF.

11. Guywanderer

The usual rant from Adams

"My players fought, but they were frustrated the whole afternoon by time-wasting," Adams told BBC Radio Devon.
    "If that's the beauty of football then somebody will have to sit down and tell me that's the way football should be played."
    The referee played eight minutes of stoppage time, but Adams said they should have done more to keep the game moving.
    "Injury time doesn't matter, you have to stop the incidents happening," the 43-year-old continued.
    "Stopping the flow of the game is the biggest problem, and you can't have the incidents that went on today spoiling a game of football which is supposed to be an entertaining business."
    Adams was critical of a number of Wycombe players and non-playing staff for delaying tactics.
    "This is the worst I've seen, terrible, really terrible," he added.
    "I don't see how you can come here as a football supporter.
    "We haven't seen the ball in play a lot this afternoon, we've seen a lot of stoppages throughout the afternoon."

He must have been watching a different game than me as apart from our keeper going down twice in the last 10 minutes to receive treatment there wasn't much time wasting and if anyone was time wasting in the first half it was the away side

12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Quite honestly Guy this bloke is about as annoying as they come. He's a whinging bastard at best and a disgrace to football managers. I'll be very happy when he gets the sack as long as he doesn't come here; and preferably not to any team in the same league as us. The less we see of him the better.

But it won't ruin our relationship with the fans

sensiblegreeny likes this.
  13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Here here.............

He ain't going though unless we get a very very rich pasty maker to take us on. Too long a contract to pay off.