1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

[OMT] Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by THFC6061, Mar 20, 2014.

1. That was a rollercoaster ride. Sherwoodie has probably saved his job for another week, but I sense that none of us were convinced by the performance. Too many passengers, and far too reliant on Eriksen, who was magnificent.

2. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

If we'd beaten Arsenal and it really felt like the chase was on then I think the comments on here after coming back from 2-0 down to win 3-2 would be a lot more positive. It was a decent win, really. **** defending but we knew that.

3. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

Eriksen clearly loves playing for Sherwood, Roo will be pleased that his favourite player has a good relationship with Sherwood as since Sherwood took over Eriksen has produced his best form, clearly Eriksen wasn't involved in that (alleged) player revolt, although you could be lead to believe it was invented mainly by people on twitter and other forums :)

Mistakes made first half? yes but as we saw agaisnt the goons, dominating a game and being in control of play for a large majority of the game doesn't equal to winning or satisfied fans. Thats two comebacks in a week, Chadli double agaisnt Benfica, Eriksen Double agaisnt the saints. Soldado was impressive and the team showed alot of character as we dominated Southampton second half and they where lucky we never had Adebayor on the pitch, yet we still scored 3 goals in a game.

Anyway, after the Liverpool game we have 6 games left agaisnt all teams in the bottom 10 so I'm expecting more games like this which would be a welcome end to a season which started with AVB and his mundane football, to now seeing us play with more freedom and we're still on course to match our record points total :emoticon-0110-tongu

4. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

We do seem to have a habit of beating Southampton by accident - see also the 3-2 win at St Mary's in December and Ronny Rosenthal's finest hour in '95.

5. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

Player reaction- Tottenham 3-2 Southampton

6. And Bales wonder strike last season......

Really don't want to sound negative, but to ignore the obvious deficiencies is just self-delusion.
    Yes, we improved the performance in the 2nd half, but Soton didn't put the same pressure on our midfield - and having a hard-working Sigs on for the labouring/coasting Dembele was significant.
    Soldado was excellent, Eriksen likewise, even Chadli had another good game. Bentaleb, Lennon and Kaboul put in decent efforts too.
    The problems are obvious and so well-documented. As I commented earlier, I won't even raise the issue of one particular players high profile errors when the manager persists in playing the guy at a level he clearly cannot cope with. Townsend added little when he came on and one point looked like he was running through treacle trying to chase Shaw.
    That the effort levels were stronger than the Saints in a post-EL away game is a credit to the players and suggests that Sherwood maybe has their support.

I think we will need rather more next weekend to avoid another horror score line........

7. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

Who's ignoring issues? No one.

Its fairly bizarre that if fans enjoy a win that we have to also focus on issues as that takes away from enjoying a win, as shown by the negative posts, there is nothing ground breaking being side in pointing out the issues within the team, its all been said every week, no one is offering any deep tactical knowledge which we should be blown away by, just by pointing out the obvious.

8. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

"its all been said every week, no one us offering any deep tactical knowledge which we should be blown away by,
    just by pointing out the obvious."

If the bleeding obvious is not being fixed, week after week, it will be commented on
    week after week.

9. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

And you will bore yourself and others. The squad has been poorly put together by a previous manager and Dof so you must be naive if you believe Sherwood is going to fix all the issues within half a season, especially for a man of his experience.

What you want isn't happening this year so instead of focusing on issues which won't be fixed and have been pointed out endlessly, you should quiet down and enjoy watching us win a game of football.

10. The problem is that it is the 'obvious' as you put it that is the problem. We have been running with one PL level FB all season, our midfield lacks goals and creativity and we don't have any depth in forwards. Those are issues that should have been addressed by now.

We got a good result today so credit the players and manager for that, but to ignore the problems is still delusional however obvious or repeated they happen to be.

11. The RDBD

"And you will bore yourself and others. The squad has been poorly put together by a previous manager and Dof."

Excuses excuses.
    Is Timmy contractually bound to field teams that play the high line and do not press in MF ??
    Even though they cause Spurs so much trouble ??

On the latter, is the squad so seriously deficient in players that, to use the words of Arry, cannot
    "facking run about a bit" ??

He has much to learn. And learn it he may well do.
    But Spurs, right now, cannot afford to indulge that possibility.

12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Was close to not going today as I've been bogged down with a rotten cold and after the first 30 minutes I was wishing I hadn't gone. After that we livened up, Eriksen, Chadli and Soldado played really well and Gylfi's introduction at half time proved to be a great decision as he too looked really good prior to getting the winner.

The atmosphere from us lot was half decent for a change as well which was quite nice, still nowhere near it used to be but it was nice to have a few sing-alongs throughout the match, it's the first time we've outdone the away lot for a while (Southampton fans by far the worst to visit the Lane this season in my opinion), Artur Boruc came in for some very funny stick. Chants of "You shop at Jacamo!" and "You're shirt's too small for you" even had the Soton fans breaking a smile.

It's the first time I've managed to leave the Lane with a smile of knowing I'd witnessed a half decent game of football PLUS 3 points for Spurs, so happy days.

13. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

Relayer, I know you have an issue with the FB situation, no surprise there! and yes you have a point as we haven't covered the area but that was due to the previous manager and Dof. We could have signed players in January but chances are Sherwood wouldn't have been handed much of a budget so who would have arrived? players like Saha and Neilsen? cheap buys to try fix squad issues.

There is no guarantee that Sherwood will be here next year so its unlikely Levy would have handed him much of a budget and then we would be moaning that we signed sub standard players on the cheap.

Same with the striker and midfield situation. Sherwood has done the right thing by sticking with the current squad and then we reassess in the summer but we have to accept that because of our poor planning pre season that this team and squad is hampered and its deeper then just changing formation or picking one player over other so even with Ekotto back, we would still be struggling in defence! :emoticon-0110-tongu

14. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

Then will be you be directing your blame at the man who hired Sherwood? as Levy wasn't contractually bound to appoint a rookie manager who learns on the job.

15. 'I know you have an issue with the FB situation' ......Don't think I am alone there.... And pointing out that a contracted International quality player currently loaned out is twice the standard that we currently put out week in week out is hardly unreasonable. :steam:

I am not laying the blame at Sherwood's door - that is something he inherited. However I was surprised by his failure to use all 3 subs today as there were some very tired legs out there in the last 5-10 mins.

16. The RDBD

"Then will be you be directing your blame at the man who hired Sherwood?"

Yep. Very much so.

And Timmy learning at Spurs from a decent manager is something I would also welcome
    (been a long time since the club has promoted from within with little/no detrimental impact) .

17. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Very much so. But had he not appointed AVB in the first place, he would never have put himself in a situation where he's allowed a self promoting blagger, like Sherwood to talk himself into a job he clearly isn't up to.

18. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

Very few clubs appoint from within successfully although i agree its a nice thought, to think the club could hire an experienced manager and then his assistant would be groomed for the future job insuring continued playing style and continuity, just when does that work? you're looking at a handful of cases in the modern era.

Mourinho worked with the great Bobby Robson but he had to move away and go alone then we have AVB who says he learnt from Bobby Robson, yet his management is the polar opposite of the charismatic Robson.

19. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

I know we have discussed this to death on the ekotto thread but I think we have to accept the situation was unfortunate as Sherwood was aware of the issues Adebayor and Ekotto had when being part of the same setup under AVB, Although they worked great together when Redknapp was here, just Sherwood decided he couldn't risk bringing Ekotto back as he wasn't impressed by his recent social media outbursts.

And yes, on paper it may look to be frivolous and a minor issue but Ekotto clearly pissed off people at the club with his behaviour, otherwise on footballing reasons he would be at the club.

20. The RDBD

"Very few clubs appoint from within successfully although i agree its a nice thought, to think the club could hire an experienced manager
    and then his assistant would be groomed for the future job insuring continued playing style and continuity, just when does that work?"

It would work if Levy insisted Academy coaching staff were present at manager coaching/discussion
    sessions. More so given his manager attrition rates.