1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Oldaker

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by The Gills PegLeg, Aug 7, 2019.

1. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Been transfer listed. Incredibly frustrating as we've got a player there that could play higher if developed. Just seems Evans can't be arsed and would rather bring someone else in rather than give him an opportunity to get better. Reilly, Parrett & Stevenson also give similar fates which comes under poor management in my eyes.

I'm starting to get concerned about the direction of the club now and whilst I appreciate it's only been one game, I've still not had the feel good factor yet and that normally points to troubling times ahead.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/oldaker-can-leave-gills-209954/

brb likes this.
  2. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Oldakar will probably go non league. So not good enough

3. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

DJ is far from the finished product. I think he has a huge amount of potential, but potential needs to be supported and coached to be developed and fully achieved. If SE isn't the person (for whatever reason) to help Oldaker achieve his full potential then DJ will be better off moving to a club where he will get the coaching and support that his potential deserves. There's no reason why that shouldn't be a L1 club.

brb likes this.
  4. gioblues

He won't be playing in league 1 for sure. He may go to a league 2 club but likely non league. He needs to be a focal point not a bit part player. He can pass and good at dead ball but cannot run cannot defend so is limited

5. The Gills PegLeg

Confirmed on twitter he's moving on. Another one out the door not given a chance then :emoticon-0138-think

6. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Put yourself in the managers shoes, 4 months until Christmas and you know that unless the team are performing the fans and Scally will turn against you. There is a limited budget for players, do you spend months and wages trying to develop players who haven't really performed under several management regimes, or get shot and bring in new players.
    It might be harsh but I know what I would do.

7. brb

brb CR250

Pick a starting eleven from the Rainham End, and a dodgy lino from the GRS? <whistle>

8. The Gills PegLeg

Not sure by what you mean not really performed as all players with perhaps the exception of Parrett have shown they can do it in a Gills shirt. Oldaker still finished in the top 3 for assists for Gills last season despite only playing 20 odd games. The assists he got against Bradford and Fleetwood last season were that of a quality much higher than we've seen in our midfield for a while.

I understand that he's got a limited time to get things done, but as I've already said in another thread, these aren't bad players and he didn't give them an opportunity to play under his style of play. We now have a very threadbare squad due to this and we've quite possibly missed out on the resale ability of Oldaker that would help us in the future financially. Another Romeo I fear.

9. brb

brb CR250

Oldaker only made 8 appearances, so I looked at our star player stats, the ones I could find...

Vs Blackpool 2pts via pegleg - May 19

Vs Luton 1pt via grumpygit - Nov 18
    Comments received after the Luton game;
    I don't know if you were there yesterday but Oldaker coming on made a big difference. via grumpygit
    I'm guessing that part of the reason why Oldaker didn't start was because he gave so much at Hartlepool. via itstimupnorth

Vs Slough 1pt via Patchy - Dec 18
    Vs Slough 2pts via grumpygit - Dec 18
    Vs Slough 1pt via Debbie A - Dec 18

Vs Fleetwood 1pt via gioblues - Nov 18
    Vs Fleetwood 2pts via pegleg - Nov 18
    Vs Fleetwood 1pt via brb - Nov 18

Vs Bradford 1pt via gioblues - Oct 18
    Comments received after the Luton game;
    but then Oldaker's playmaking was something we've been lacking. via grumpygit

How about this comment! - Feb 19
    3 players (play makers) who haven't had much game time overall, keep showing up in our winning teams, Oldaker, Parrett, and RCC. via grumpygit
    and
    ........... Who the Hell is Oldaker ? -- I'm asking you - because it would seem that Lovell doesn't know. via alwaysright

and there are so many more complimentry comments I have not added, but alwaysright summed it up nicely to finish on this note; yet no substitutes - when you had players like Oldaker ( who has created two of our best goals in recent matches ).

The Gills PegLeg and alwaysright like this.
  10. The Gills PegLeg

brb likes this.

11. brb

brb CR250

I'm wondering if it is counting his Hythe appearances, as he was on loan and the additional games are being registered under GFC. I can see it states 8 in brackets, not sure what that means?

In just the few games he played for us, he received postive reviews by supporters and appeared in the star player league no less that five times. I know it's only a small group of us that vote in that, but generally over the season it has been a good indicator on how good or bad a player has been, also it generally indicates who will be player of the season. As I say, It's just a small poll but generally reflects the feelings of the majority of Gillingham supporters, wherever you look.

12. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

In his early appearances people were perhaps viewing him as one of our own, a young lad out of the youth set-up. When being brutally honest in the cold light of day, he failed to improve over time, he would have the small spark of genius for 10 minutes then disappear for the other 80 minutes, he often gave the ball away in dangerous areas.
    I don't mean to be critical and hope the lad makes it eventually, at the moment it is whether we can afford to support someone who isn't showing signs of improvement.

13. brb

brb CR250

He only got to play in 8 games, so not exactly his fault, no?

14. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

He also played in 8 cup games and lots more development squad games, plus was seen in training every day.

brb likes this.
  15. gioblues

As I said before Oldakar could find a quality pass and could take decent dead balls but was not good at tackling.,tracking back running.. Not an athlete. With right players around him could be very useful but without them to lightweight for league 1

16. The Gills PegLeg

Games in brackets are substitute appearances mate. He made 33 appearances in total, scoring 5 goals albeit four of those were in the Mickey Mouse Trophy.

17. gioblues

Gone to Billericay.:emoticon-0127-lipss