1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ola Toivanen

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by clockstander, Oct 7, 2017.

1. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I think its much more likely that we would have stayed up last season if Sam had been in charge but There's no way we would have been in the top ten. We still wouldn't habe signed M'Vila and Kirchhoff would still have been crocked. That's two thirds of his first choice midfield gone straight away. There would have been a lot less negativity and fewer of Moyes odd signings (i.e. Januzaj) but I don't think top 10 was ever on the cards.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Poyet? He threw in the towel after the Spurs game man that wasn’t good management that was the players playing with freedom and finding belief.

It was a ****ing ‘miracle’, as Poyet said, not a reflection of his brilliance, he was ****ing hapless as he’s proved with his 213 sackings since.

3. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

THIS

ABSOLUTELY THIS!!!

Thanks England - ya fooking t w a t s

Bart

clockstander likes this.
  4. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Sam is put on a pedestal. It's pathetic how people put others down to big him up. He's limited like they all were. Every single escape is down to the players dinging in and nowt else. Sams was no different. No win in 6 before we hit the streak. My memory inst short we we're ****ing ****. The football was ****e finish aside, just like with the rest.

Like said earlier, it's easy to say the one who didn't take on the difficult second season would have had us pushing on. I can't believe we're still on it. Pointless moronic subject to spend time given there's no accurate answer, It's just arguing the toss and not leading anywhere so I'll let you all crack on. It's subject that isn't worth my time, it's a new day.

I will add though. Before the streak we were far from convinced.

https://www.not606.com/threads/wheres-your-head-at.326417/

5. The Norton Cat

I'm pretty certain that if I could step into the Quantum Leap accelerator and take the place of the FA Chief Exec on the day that they decided that Sam Allardyce should be the England manager that I could bring into existence a chain of events that didn't result in us being in the Championship this season.

I'm also pretty certain that we wouldn't have finished anywhere near the top ten last season no matter who was manager.

clockstander likes this.
  6. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Agreed, not if we were going to systematically sell our best players and have a minuscule budget. I have a feeling that if Sam had stayed we'd have signed M'Vila and maybe a couple of other modest signings but who knows. We would still have needed a big rebuild for financial reasons despite still being in the prem.

It's all going off gut feelings and of course everyones are different.

clockstander and Nads like this.
  7. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

You’re missing the fact that I’m not one of those who thinks the sun shines out of Sams arse mate.

He had a defined plan though, non of the others did. He was building foundations not throwing and hoping.

We would not have went down under Sam. We wouldn’t likely have finished top 10 either but down? Bottom? Gutless? No chance.

People say ‘still wouldn’t have been backed’. Moyes spent enough money for someone to bring in what we needed. He spent it atrociously.

Sam is a very good manager, with a ceiling. His ceiling however is at a level we would all be delighted with for now.

Had he remained we aren’t staring at League 1. No way on gods earth are we in this dire situation if he stays.

For one, Kone is settled, we’d have signed M’Vila. PVA stays and we need a CB and and attacking midfielder. We would have been far stronger.

8. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Well I remember boring bore draw football under him before the players took it by the scruff of the neck(Like they had to in many a season under poor to average management). Plan sham, he wasn't getting enough investment to bring it up to scratch. It's can't be all shorts fault yet in an fabricated alternative la la world he was was going to magically back Sam. Like I said I'll leave it there cause we can discuss it till the cows come home, but the subject has no end in terms of speculation, nowt can be proved or disproved, we've all chipped in our opinion, it's not going anywhere but round in circles and that's a habit I'm trying to break on forums. I only get slagged off by the usual suspects if I draw anything else so I'm leaving there fella. :)

clockstander likes this.
  9. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I agree,100 per cent, also think Younis would have stayed and played his part (big fan), those last few weeks under Sam were intoxicating, maybe the team might not have maintained those standards, but we would be now in much better shape had Sam stayed imo. Que Sera, Sera.

Nads likes this.
  10. The Norton Cat

I think if Advocaat had had the stomach for the fight, things would look very different to the way they do now. The same can be said if Di Canio hadn't been undermined by the players. Where we are now isn't solely down to not having Allardyce or having Moyes. It's down to a long string of bad decisions at board level and any of those managers would have had to have dealt with the results of those poor decisions at some point. None of them were or ever could be our saviour.

farnboromackem likes this.

11. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

But you keep saying about backing, how much did Moyes spend?

We did ****kng spend bit Moyes overruled M’Vila. Suicide.

clockstander and Brian Storm like this.