1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

OK SO WHAT HAS MAZZARI BROUGHT TO WATFORD

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Flittonhorn, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Yes - if we can everyone fit and firing then that will really be the time to judge Walter maybe.

Perhaps having better attacking players will lead to a more positive style of play as well plus some pace and width.

The expensive players haven't been flops because they've hardly played really which is a shame.

2. Goldentrue

Goldentrue Active Member

I am not convinced that constantly changing the head coach is the right approach, and poor runs happen to most teams. I believe a coach needs two seasons to be judged. Time to build the team he wants, to get them playing how he wants, to get a grip of what is needed etc.

I have felt as worried about the recent run as most, without necessarily thinking we need yet another change. HOWEVER, when Walt said we deserved to win yesterday, that has really made me start to waver on my support and my views! That view was delusional

andytoprankin likes this.
  3. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

At this stage last season we had over 30 points..it was after that that QSF showed his true lack of talent for management. The trouble with Mazzarri is that he is disconnected, doesn't have the fans or seemingly the players on his side and doesn't speak English in public. He doesn't seem to have a plan that the players understand and doesn't understand the English game enough to see what needs doing to change things. He seems very out of his depth.

As for Cathcart, if he's the answer, i dread to think what the question is! He's been injured (along with most of the players!) and now he's back i'm just waiting for his weekly mistake that costs us a game. Deeney came back from his summer holidays a stone overweight and doesn't seem to have been able to lose it, he has the lowest percentage of headers won in the league this season, compared to his massive success at it last season. We have so many problems they are too numerous to list but the buck has to stop with the manager.

Zonal marking doesn't work, the team can't play that way and as GT once said, space doesn't score, players score so players are what you should mark!

Hmm, that was supposed to be a small comment, sorry! lol

4. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

I think the most pertinent point several people have made recently, is the one I've put in bold. These are experienced professionals but they don't always look it.

Markthehorn and Hornette_TID like this.
  5. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

I'd actually say a few are playing out of form but that is because options are limited due to injury.

Agreed on Cathcart - a solid defender but only just back from injury albeit maybe should have played in the Millwall match.

The trouble is even experienced defenders like Britos and Kaboul have a mistake in them - or a booking.

6. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

The Millwall team was experimental and unfortunately him, ddint work... no one shone in that game... so back t the drawing board?

We do have some strong players in the squad... will be badly needed in the games ahead....

7. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Same old story, a manager losing the dressing room. We've seen it a lot lately - no use crying over spilt milk but the only manager appointed by the Pozzo's who actually improved the team over the course of a season was the joker, and he's doing the same at Fulham.

Hornette_TID likes this.
  8. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

No idea why they got rid of him, a great bloke, speaks good English now and is proving to be a good manager. He should have been given a chance. Just wrong.

canary-dave likes this.
  9. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

Anything to say now fellow hornets

10. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Yes, that win was vitally needed and totally unexpected.

Hopefully, words have been said, tea cups thrown and the players are together. It sounded like it from tnoight´s game.

Let´s be honest, form has been terrible recently with some dire performences.

I hope with the new signings we can push on and not be worried about the drop. I am still a bit concerned about it mind, one swallow doesn´t make a summer and all.

Credit to WM and the players for the performance tonight, it was needed.

11. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

what Mex said :). It was an excellent performance, and yes, completely unexpected. We probably need another 8 or so points for safety...if we get 3 on Saturday and things start looking more positive on the pitch, i'll feel a lot better than i did yesterday! :)

12. yorkshirehornet

MAZARRI...GREATEST MANAGER FOR WATFORD THIS WEEK ;)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Hornette_TID likes this.
  13. andytoprankin

H. You know what you said about 'can WM get the players to understand what he wants?' (paraphrased, sorry). As soon as I saw 4 at the back I was intrigued. Will they 'naturally' understand their roles better? After all, this is how most defenders grow up - playing four at the back. There is instinct, knowing where you should be, knowing if you come across to help another because you're better placed then he should step into your place (I'm thinking a CB closes a winger down because FB out of position so FB temporarily steps in as CB till normality can resume). The midfield know how and where to support, etc.
    3-5-2 is brilliant as an idea, and I'm not saying it's an impossible dream, but for now are we better with four at the back? It's not as if our '5' in the middle were swapping midfield - the outer two were always on the touchline and easily cut out. I thought it helped TC and EC, too. They have great sense for give and go and staying if the other goes. They were heroes last night (OK, TC needs to work on crosses that can't get confused with the British Space Programme). Strong, resolute TD. What a man. Club legend already. I know he doesn't like that but he can bloody well lump it. ;)

14. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

Funny that Talksport ignorant people seem to think we were playing 3-5-2 last night lol. I agree, 4 at the back at our level seems far more understandable and i also think we weren't zonal marking but correct me if i'm wrong! It was a fantastic performance, especially in the first half, amazing that we can do this against the big teams but struggle against those around us. Saturday is a must win, Burnley haven't won away all season so i'd hate to think they'll start at the Vic!

TC is a great influence i think and i loved the look of Niang, how long til he's injured? ;)

15. andytoprankin

Niang (autocorrect wants to change that to Niamh <laugh>) won the mental battle. Mustafi and Gabriel were really rattled by him. He just smiled. I swear, small as these things would appear to be, they really matter. They were in disarray for our second. Was this made worse by the rattling? I think so.
    Agree about teams around us, To use a hackneyed expression, we've shown them too much respect. This formation and mindset was more 'in your face' and at them. Would do well against Burnley.

Hornette_TID likes this.
  16. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Well the answer is quite simple now - something no other manager has managed.
    Three points from the Emirates.

Hornette_TID likes this.
  17. andytoprankin

Klopp did it in August.
    Oh! :emoticon-0111-blush You mean Watford managers... <tiptoes out>

18. yorkshirehornet

I think i remember I saw us do it with GT.. oh at Highbury <doh>

19. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Was waiting for the QSF apologists to jump in unthinkingly...<laugh>

20. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

A fantastic result, and exactly the performance everyone was asking for. Intensity and passion from both the players and the manager. I think he even spoke some English in the interview after...

Lets hope this is a turning point for both the manager and team rather than a one-off. As great as the result was, it won't simply erase the dross they have been serving up the last couple of months, and the manager's apparent indifference on the touch line. Let's see if they can continue this on in the Burnley game, and beyond!

Hornette_TID and andytoprankin like this.