1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Official Ralph Hasenhüttl is saints boss (merged with DTLW's)

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintlyhero, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Charlie who can't move hasn't been much for goalscoring, unfortunately. He doesn't move enough to get into the spots where he might be able to get good shot opportunities; he fashions fewer shots than any of our other forwards bar Long, and has hit the target less than any of them to boot (the only regulars with worse accuracy are Redmond, Lemina and Bertrand. Redmond holds the distinction of being the league leader in percentage of shots blocked, at a nearly unimaginable 60%).

2. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Dunno about that. Wasn't Charlie our leading goalscorer last season, despite being injured for most of it?

I'm not exactly singing his praises btw. and I agree with what you say about not fashioning chances. But he quite clearly does now how to find the net. He hss the instinct for goal most players lack.

Ings and Armstrong seem to be the only two players in the squad, other than Charlie, about whom you can say that.

3. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Think the Charlie of years past is a distant memory; his injuries, age and lack of effort have seen to that.

4. Archers Road

Maybe Ralph can resurrect his career, as Chilco suggested.

I'm not holding my breath, but I wouldn't dismiss the idea out of hand

5. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Think I'll dismiss it out of hand. I don't know that Charlie's physically capable of returning to those heights even if motivated, but he didn't exactly cut the figure of a person fighting to prove his worth to a new manager. Think he's far more likely to be shipped off to another poor team struggling to score goals that plays in the South and has an appetite for large wages...so, Palace. Palace feels right.

Qwerty likes this.
  6. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

He’s the same age now as a certain Rickie Lambert was when he joined Saints, and he got fit pretty damn quick. That was Pardew cracking the whip too, not the Austrian rabbit hutch!

7. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Blimey didn’t realise that. I’d have assumed he was the age that Rickie was when we sold him.

SaintinNZ likes this.
  8. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

He will go to QPR in the summer.

9. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

So maybe our coach needs to find away to play that leaves him in the middle and someone else doing the running.

10. fatletiss

Not quite Chilcs. Rickie was 27 and Charlie is 29.

SaintinNZ and Libby like this.

11. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Makes you feel old though that people are writing off a player as ancient, who is genuinely young enough to be my son!

Weird how conception is. I see my daughter as a child (even though she is married with 2 of her own), but Charlie is only 1 year older than her and I look at him as an adult.

Weird.

12. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Fair enough, but my general point still holds. Charlie is similar to Rickie in that he wasn’t brought up his whole life as a professional footballer, so may not have the same core fitness as someone who’s played week in week out for 8 or 10 years at a high level. He should however still have a residual fitness good enough to be able to get back in shape in a very few weeks of an intensive regime. I would think that Ralph had his eye on Charlie from the moment he came on at Wembley last week, wondering on how he would get him running. I dare say he has come up against similar players in his coaching career with varying success. It’s really down to Charlie what happens next.

13. Archers Road

Possibly. He still needs to get fitter and work harder, but he's never going to be running for 90 minutes.

He's a big old unit, and naturally big blokes find it harder to achieve and maintain fitness. That's one reason why heavyweight boxers are usually more likely to tire in the later rounds of a fight than the little guys.

14. fatletiss

Remember when Ruud Gullitt first came over here? One of the first thing he asked was why our CFs run around so much (admittedly a different footballing time) rather than stay near the goal.... I lived off that for a few years! :)

15. Archers Road

No one minds a goal hanger when he scores Fats

Osvaldorama and fatletiss like this.
  16. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

People with big muscles overheat...ok for short sprints, but not for prolonged activity. Horses for courses. Ralph may have his plans, but will have to adapt a bit for the players he has...though a general increase in fitness would be useful.

17. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Genuine answer to Fran. Could Usain Bolt last 95 mins in a Premier League game?

I'm well over 100% sure he can out run anyone, but over 95 mins of stop start? Or maybe I'm over thinking a true athletic legend?

Genuine question and not meant to be controversial.

18. Archers Road

Pretty sure he plays a lot of football.

He doesn't have a typical sprinters physique though. Carl Lewis would probably have struggled

19. BackFromBeyond

BackFromBeyond Well-Known Member

Don't running athletes get less 'built' as the distances increase? Lewis was slight for a sprinter.

20. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Absolutely. All to do with twitch muscle stuff. Sprinters are built for short, powerful bursts, but those muscles eat up oxygen quickly so they won’t last long.

BackFromBeyond likes this.