1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Official Not606 USA GP Chat and Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by EternalMSC, Oct 21, 2014.

1. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Can't understand why JEV was penalised. Ridiculous.

2. WestCoastBoogaloo

WestCoastBoogaloo Well-Known Member

I think it was because he essentially braked too late and slid into Grosjean? If Grosjean had taken avoiding action by letting him though, JEV would've probably gone off track and not gained the position.

3. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

It was a strong move, but the gap was definitely there going into the corner

4. EternalMSC

It's just deterring opportunistic moves and exciting on track action. Similar feeling to Kevin in Spa.

5. Max Whiplash

Max Whiplash Well-Known Member

Exactly. Vergne and Maldo made yesterday's race for me, both very exciting to watch. In fact Lotus's competitiveness really enhanced the race; I hadn't realised how much I missed that because, I suppose, Williams have moved into their old role.

6. EternalMSC

Lotus really made my day. Things look bright. Enter Alonso and Flavio 2015 ;)

7. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Rosberg must be aware that in terms of race-craft, Hamilton now has him well and truly contained. Acknowledging this is extremely difficult for any competitor in any sport, and I think he is now at battle with himself, fighting the rationale of his own senses. When the heat is on, he appears to have run out of ideas against an increasingly cool, clinically accurate adversary. This season, I believe Rosberg has lost out every single time they've coincided on track. I think he is trying everything he knows, perhaps even including your suggestion, BLS, to break out of a box Hamilton has squashed him into. The frustration at being constantly out-manoeuvred is clearer by the day, and it is likely he is becoming ever more desperate to seize what he may sense is his best chance at a World Title. On the other hand, he must be thankful Bernie's whim provides an anomalous extra opportunity; the joker/'get out of jail free card' of double points for the last race. Despite being completely out-punched when within arm's length, mathematics may yet come to his rescue…

Yes. Good point. Even if it's becoming obvious.
    At the risk of being accused of gushing praise, I'd like to expand on this most recent example. In particular, I'll focus upon a critical move which may explain some (if not all) of Rosberg's 'Hamilton nightmares', and why he is mentally beaten in close combat. It is the most technical, very rarely seen version of the classic 'block-pass', and consequently I will be voting it 'overtake of the day' in the awards thread. Here's my reasoning:

Hamilton's overtake was executed with such precision it was indefensible by anyone – not just Rosberg!
    Note to all: skip this whole paragraph if you don't do 'technical'! :)
    –Take an inside, rearward position but deliberately hold back (not passing on approach or during corner entry – which is oh-so tempting – unless defender makes an error). Adjust braking to match defender's tiniest move so as postpone his turn-in whilst forcing him to stay slightly ahead! A defender's best option gradually becomes a forced move: to try the 'undercut' on corner exit by exploiting any extra speed afforded by the wider arc. Hamilton knew from the outset he needed to be slower for his chosen route (tighter radius requires lower apex speed) but also that he would need to slow Rosberg as much as possible and also delay his turn-in, depriving him of the apex and preventing the normally higher corner speed associated with a wider turn-in. Hamilton's corner entry was so accurately controlled that any attempt at the undercut was neutered. This is the highest order of the classic 'block-pass' and is extremely difficult to judge correctly – which is why most attackers will sail past on corner entry and try to hang on during the exit phase. Because it requires pinpoint monitoring of one's position and speed, the technique only works
    so long as traction is not lost at any point during the whole manoeuvre; from the initial jink to an inside position; all the way through the braking and turn-in phases (which also requires 'trail-braking'); and throughout the acceleration phase to the widest point of corner exit.
    Thus Rosberg was prevented from exploiting the extra speed possible with a wider radius because at any and every moment he might care to choose, Hamilton's slower but shorter route would see him hold the exact piece of tarmac required by both drivers and increase the chance of matching Rosberg through the acceleration phase on corner exit. To hold this position throughout the whole entry, apex and exit phases in just such a way as to cover all defending options is difficult in the extreme.

Although Rosberg was made to look feeble, this technically brilliant overtake was one of the best of the season. But for out-lawed moves, there really was nothing he could have done. Taking an early defensive position would have been worse than taking the line he did. It would have allowed Hamilton – with the benefit of DRS enhanced approach speed – to sweep by (fully past and not holding back this time) on the outside, still making the apex and maintaining a higher cornering speed throughout. Either way,
    unless he loses traction, Hamilton wins.

Yes. Once Hamilton was past, Rosberg was vanquished. All Hamilton needed to do was circulate with an eye on his mirror. I also think it likely Button would have provided a better spectacle. Like Hamilton, he relishes a real fight whereas perhaps Rosberg feels cornered if/when running doesn't provide a big enough margin…

8. Max Whiplash

Max Whiplash Well-Known Member

Watch out, Cosi, they'll be calling you a hamelot next :) But, seriously, thanks for the analysis.

9. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

In the post race interview with the BBC I thought I'd never seen Hamilton look so confident and so professional. It's all come together for him. He knows what a great position he is in and the satisfying part must be that he has got there because he has learned from past mistakes and has just got better and better. When you add measured control and patience to his natural speed he looks unbeatable. He is realising his potential.

10. JonnyBaws

JonnyBaws Well-Known Member

Didn't skip that Paragraph Cosi..
    Glad I didn't, loved that technical input <ok>

11. 2xwdcslayer

2xwdcslayer Active Member

Just like to congratulate Britain's most successful driver regards GP wins. Lewis just needs to finish 2nd to Nico in both races to be champion.

12. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

13. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Let him get the second one before getting too excited. :p

14. 2xwdcslayer

2xwdcslayer Active Member

Nice link. Well that is praise indeed putting Lewis up there with the great Jim Clark which must be a credible comment as its coming from the best driver never to win a WDC Sir Stirling Moss who raced in the Clark era so would be apt in giving his views regards Two great Brits. Bloody hell the old F1 dinosaurs wont like gangsta rapper Lewis being mentioned in the same breath with the Farmer from the highlands lol.

15. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Alonso was over 8s slower on his penultimate lap than Vettel. Had to put the hammer down to hold the place in the end.

[TABLE="width: 192"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl67, width: 64"]Lap[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl67, width: 64"]Alonso[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl67, width: 64"]Vettel[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]50[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl64"]1'46.138[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl64"]1'41.379[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl65"]51[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl66"]1'41.690[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl66"]1'42.323[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]52[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl64"]1'46.042[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl64"]1'42.397[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl65"]53[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl66"]1'47.861[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl66"]1'43.584[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]54[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl64"]1'44.721[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl64"]1'42.976[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl65"]55[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl66"]1'50.704[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl66"]1'42.119[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]56[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl64"]1'43.882[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl64"]1'42.564[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

16. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Wow Alonso's lap times were all over the place

17. JonnyBaws

JonnyBaws Well-Known Member

Exactly... he was ahead of the gaggle of cars that were tripping over each other towards the end, I just don't understand the fluctuations in the lap times!

18. EternalMSC

19. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

20. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

The only difference between Hamilton this season and Hamilton 2011 is Rosberg jumps out of the way everytime Hamilton goes **** or bust where Massa didn't.