1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread Official NOT606 Spanish GP Chat and Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by EternalMSC, May 3, 2016.

?

I get bored of posting the same question?

Poll closed May 14, 2016.
  1. Rosberg

20.8%
  2. Hamilton

62.5%
  3. Raikkonen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Vettel

12.5%
  6. Massa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Grosjean (Yes this is actually Romain Grosjean for Haas)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Kvyat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Bottas

4.2%
  10. OTHER PLEASE STATE IN BOLD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

A racing incident to be sure, but not quite comparable to similar run-ins between the two of them because of Nico's engine mode issue. It wasn't just a case of Hamilton getting better drive out of the previous bend and having a small advantage, Nico's problem meant the closing speed was much higher between them and that was what caused the problem. Nico blocked and, if I'm being generous, maybe didn't realise quite how quickly Hamilton was coming, and Hamilton went for a gap which quickly disappeared and I don't think, given the closing speed, that he could have taken avoiding action. When you look at the accident it all happens in one simultaneous move. The only question is whether Rosberg should have been aware that Hamilton was going a lot quicker than he was and therefore whether blocking him was actually dangerous.

2. eddie_squidd

By the same logic you could argue that it seems that if you run Hamilton off the circuit it's also OK.

Just playing devil's avocado like.

3. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Hamilton does it to everyone without reprimand, the one on Danny in Hungary 2014 was probably the worst, you remember, Ricciardo got great drive out of the first, was going around the outside through the hairpin and Hamilton changed direction mid-corner and pushed him off. Then there's all the ones on the meme
    please log in to view this image

4. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

rI wasn;t going to post this, but I have a spare few minutes during lunch, am sure there are moe but these are off the top of my head........

Punished for :-

Hitting Kimi in Canada 2008
    Forcing Ferrari's wide at Fuji 2008.
    Hitting Maldonado at Monaco 2011
    Hitting Bottas Brazil 2013
    Penalty Mayalsia 2011.

Am sure there are more, lots more. Happy that Hamilton gets penalties when it is clear he is at fault and outside of the rules, or still think nothing ever happens to him?

As for the meme, as anyone on here categorically said it was 100% Nico's fault? Think the view is it is 50/50. As said earlier, whatever you read elsewhere that gets you so worked up about the guy, it's not from on here.

SgtBhaji and canarian like this.
  5. allsaintchris.

What the accident does highlight is that in all the other examples, the run off area outside of the track was tarmac. Spain it was grass and an accident happened. Had it been tarmac then it is unlikely Hamilton would have lost it.

Are drivers too used to pushing the other one out wide with no consequence? Should the stewards come down harder on those that either break track limits or force others off? Remember, the whole 'racing line; nonsense that applies to corners has been around for a while. Moving across on a straight is something that is wholly different. The four examples above are about taking the racing line,

Nico has done this to Lewis and others himself but they don't seem to get a mention anywhere........ I don't agree with the concept of racing line anyway, the whole race track is there to be used how a driver likes and no driver should ever force another off because he has the 'racing line'. The rule needs amending to ensure that any driver alongside has to be given a cars width, regardless of what part of the track they are on.

6. canarian

canarian Active Member

Hamilton sure stirs up opinions and emotions. He was a class driver in F1 from his first race. Whether that was because he was in a competitive McLaren will also divide opinion. But I think his personality and character can sometimes count against him.

7. allsaintchris.

Same happened with Vettel, same will probably happen with Max too. If it is felt that these 'kids' didn;t have the correct route up to F1, i.e. it was blessed, then there is a perceived hatred of that to which some will take exception too, and others will embrace the talent that got them through the ranks quickly.

All 'great' drivers divide opinion. Some won't like their driving style, attitude, personality etc, others will think it is their redeeming feature. If we all liked everyone, then what would we talk about?

8. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Right my thoughts.

The trailing car is at the mercy of the lead car until it can claim a right to the inside line which is capable of making the corner - which is why I was surprised that Lewis was prepared to go to the right - I don't think either would have made the next corner.

The regs stating a part of the car significantly alongside is flawed because a front wing level with the rear wheels is partial - not significant. In addition there is a point at which Lewis exceeded the track limits to get his front wing in to the point which it could be argued is "significantly alongside".

I think from a racing point of view Nico did the right thing, something arguably he should have done seasons ago, but I also acknowledge that Lewis (on past evidence) would have expected Nico to concede.

A racing incident is probably fair, however my belief is still that the trailing car should not be given an advantage and should take a higher percentage of the blame if hitting the leading car.

On another note, I also think that if Lewis had NOT collected Nico in the crash, then Nico would have been penalised, which reflects my view that the stewards have lost their way with what's right and wrong in the world of racing. The Sainz penalty last week another example.

9. allsaintchris.

Are you saying Lewis or Nico would have got the penalty?

Based on stewards decision I think they would have given it to Nico to 'even it up' a bit if Hamilton's race had ended. Whether that would be the correct decision is another matter, they have come out with some strange ones in the past. If Lewis was 100% at fault, they would have penalised him for taking out Rosberg.

10. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sorry, yes I think they would have given Nico the penalty.

allsaintchris. likes this.

11. allsaintchris.

Thanks, couldn't quite work out which way you thought it would go.

12. happyal

happyal Active Member

My view on the incident is that Nico was slightly in the wrong. His move was too aggressive for my liking. But overall I think a racing incident and no action was the correct decision.

Having said that I'm glad that Nico was finally firm with Lewis, as Hamilton has done this type of over aggressive driving time, and time again with no penalty so it's good to finally see someone do the same to him. Keep it up Nico and this WDC will be yours.

DHCanary likes this.
  13. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Nico didn't have to move, but he would have come off the more intelligent driver had he given the idiot more room. Simple as that, and I am sorry Allsaintschris, Ched etc. But that's how it is. Nico sacrificed the moral high ground to show that he isn't going to roll over like 2015.

14. eddie_squidd

Personally I don't think he had long enough to think about it that much. I just think that having made an error he then panicked that Hamilton would pass and made a clumsy move. Not the first time we have seen him make rash errors under pressure.

15. EternalMSC

What made Hamilton think that a fantastically crazy move was such a huge necessity at turn 3 of lap 1?

16. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

That's exactly what racing drivers do when they see an opportunity. They don't sit back and mull it over with a cuppa. ;)

17. EternalMSC

Come on Bhaji, give it up. :emoticon-0126-nerd:

18. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

What.. you want me to put the kettle on?

19. eddie_squidd

He saw that Nico had his car in wrong engine mode, that he had a massive speed advantage and that there was (at the time he started to move) a gap down the inside. He had a split second to decide which side to pass on. It was risky, but it was most definitely an opportunity.

20. EternalMSC

Too risky for the brain and experience of a triple world champion.