1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Offical match day thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by PINKIE, Aug 5, 2019.

1. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yep. Sums up why we are there.

Had plenty of chances to win the game, but gifted the oppo a point instead.

Big Ern likes this.
  2. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

The worst team and the worst manager in the history of Arsenal! Hopeless!

3. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

The thing is with Artetas Arsenal its impossible to know what you are going to get.

Somtimes we looks like a 'proper' team othertimes it's all to casual and we make hard work of everything.

4. TheBear

We dont though. Have a decent squad.. You cant tell me a side with Auba, Saka, Partey, Tierney, Smith Rowe, Odengaard shouldnt be higher in the table.

We've had worse sides than this finish top four.

5. omogooner

So what is the problem??

6. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

yeah, when the non top 6 had no money, now everyone has money, other than Auba &, maybe, Odegaard, you have average Prem players and a 'celebrity' manager

7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Wasn't really Arteta's fault that today though. We should have been 2-0 or 3-0 up by HT but a dumb mistake from Xhaka gifted them an equaliser.

Second half we weathered the storm and then put them under loads of pressue, stonewall pen denied and hit the post. Another day that would have been 3 points.

8. BobbyD

BobbyD President

smith rowes had about 6 games and is in "good" form. I wouldn't be bandying his name around yet, even lord bendtner started off well.

Parteys been injured for most of your season, odengaards only just joined. It's really only Tierney, Auba, Saka and maybe Leno who would make it into other teams.

9. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm in disbelief that we've not won that game.

However, we were too profligate in the first half and then in the second half, played into Burnley’s hands rather than playing our own stuff.

We had the best chances, but if you don’t take them, and then gift the opposition a goal like that, you’re not gonna win games.

Olympiacos next...need a positive result in that one.

10. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Anyway, when this isn't given as handball, you know the game and in particular VAR is ****ed.

please log in to view this image

11. omogooner

I really hope the rumours linking Arteta to Barcelona are true! I really do! You can see the difference a top manager brings to the table. From almost mid table obscurity to challenging for top 4 at Chelsea! Would Arteta still be in a job at most top teams??

white_gunner likes this.
  12. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Who would you bring in if Arteta went ?

13. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There's 11 games to go in the league and the Europa League still to play for. No point in sacking Arteta anytime soon.

On top of that, the club have pretty much reaffirmed their commitment to him and everything coming out of the club points toward him being supported in the Summer transfer market (or so we are led to believe).

The time to sack him would have been in December. Doing it now would not benefit us.

Unfortunately, this season, everything that could have gone wrong for us has gone wrong. VAR decisions not gone our way, profligacy in front of goal, key players suffering lengthy injuries, a ludicrous amount of red cards, individual errors. I know Arteta deserves blame for some of his team selections and in-game management, but some things have been out of his control. I do also think the players need to share a portion of responsibility for where we are too, especially in regard to individual errors/mistakes because more often the not, it ends up costing us the game.

PINKIE likes this.
  14. TheBear

Either trolling or not being objective. ESR has 19 apps soo far this Season and looks absolute class - in fact he's already looking a level above internationals like Xhaka, Willian and Ceballos.

As if you guys were'nt hyping up Mount after a similar number of games.

Partey is just pure class.

I dont think your squad is much better than ours to be honest. Our squad has gotten steadily better with Saka, Partey, ESR, Odengaard, Gabriel, Tierney coming in but the results/performances hav'nt really improved the way they should have & I think Arteta should probably take the blame for that. He's not ready IMO - much in the same when Fat Frank was'nt quite. But he will get better.

We all knew Bendtner was a donkey from day one.

gooner4ever and PINKIE like this.
  15. TheBear

Well as I said - I just think the job came a bit too soon for Arteta but give him time and he will improve i'm confident of that.

PINKIE likes this.
  16. BobbyD

BobbyD President

I've just had a look, 11 "full" games, 2 sub appearances. That's hardly a massive set of games. He's got 5 assists in that time which is pretty decent. Sure, he's talented and has potential but to call him a quality squad player is like saying Greenwood was going to be the next best thing when he went on his scoring run last season. Would ESR be a definite starter in any of the sides above you now? no chance. I would say ESR is where Saka was last season but Saka has shown last season and this season he's going onto bigger and better things.

I think Mount is decent but firstly he's done it for a year and a half at chelsea and was class at Derby. You're barking at the wrong man though as i think he still has a lot to prove and is too inconsistent even though he gets rave reviews cause hes "young" and english.

As for how well your team is doing, i think Arteta should be doing better than where you are now, but you can't say Arteta should be doing better with the above named players when odengaard has only been around for 7 games and parteys only been fit for about 9 of those.

17. omogooner

Allegri and Valverde are easy choices. Both will no doubt get the best out of these players. Right now, these players are so inconsistent, and you cannot see them finishing higher than 10th.. This team with a good manager are capable of finishing just out of top 4, languishing in mid-table is criminal! Do we wait till the end of next season before we make the required changes?

white_gunner likes this.
  18. TheBear

ESR and Saka both only got their chances under Arteta due to injuries to other players. Their performances made them undroppable though. Saliba not been given a chance by Arteta yet but is excelling back in France. I feel Arteta needs to be braver in this area. (You cant tell me Martinelli wont do better than Willian if given the chance)

Did you see Odengaard last Season at Sociedad? This is a kid of immense potential. Zidane doesnt seem to want to play him (much to Madrid fans dismay) but the potential is soo high.

I mean alot of it is subjective. But I do think a Clubs form can taint how people view players if you are flying high individuals can be over-rated but the reverse can also be true.

19. gills4prem

gills4prem Active Member

I think the gifted goal has changed the view of the game, take that away and we would be saying it was a good performance..

Arteta cannot be blamed for arsenal players fluffing their lines.

I still have faith in him and think next season we will build on this, I think I heard the commentary saying that starting from new year we would have been 4th.. So something is working and great base to build on into next season

gooner4ever likes this.
  20. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Benitez I think would do well.

ragnick would be interesting from a project perspective

Allegri is still available, and Rodgers I think entices me too.