1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic - Teachers.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Redprintt, May 16, 2020.

1. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

A good question. One I have no answer to - except perhaps that they wanted the tourist revenue which was more important to them than safety.
    Another is; why are we still allowing people to enter our country freely without being tested? In fact, why are we letting them in at all? THAT is a failure at central government level. They should have stopped it months ago but have chosen not to.

2. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Why are state schools opening in June, but public schools opening in September?

3. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

QEH in Bristol may return in June or September. They have not made a decision and are schooling kids at home by zoom etc. With their resources their why can be different.

4. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

It took 2 or 3 weeks before the Politicians on both sides (and I include Union Leaders in this as well) started to play politics with the pandemic crisis

They just cant help themselves

5. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

A lot of public schools are boarding schools with very few day attendee's they have pupils from all over the world funding them! you could say well lets just open them from our 4 nations! and maybe EIRE. BUT being dependant on private funding and once open there is very few short cuts to cut costs. even in September with social distancing they are likely to need treble the space to teach and most have dorms that cater for 6 or more.

6. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

The 'left' can't see the long term damage that will affect the children from disadvantaged parents if schools don't reopen.

And what about Corbyn's brother from the far left. He and his mates didn't mind putting Police or the public at risk yesterday in Hyde Park.
    The left swing their opinion as it suits which way the wind is blowing.
    Starmer's a cute so and so, he's a wolf in sheep's clothing.

7. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

BLIMEY RP amazing ...... have to agree with most of your comments... although wish you would not cut and paste comments without who the comment was from [ if you highlight it and press the little box REPLY it makes the quote more sense as you can then go back and see the comment in context ]
    my view irrespective of the as*wipes of the left is that ….. there are a lot of children with a finite number of school places …. spoken of is 30 per class,? so sitting next each other will not work. Most formats are different in each room as pairs in rows or 3's in rows or simply each one spaced [ 6 rows of 5 across /5 rows of 6 across ] it makes sense that maybe years 1 and 2 take up the space of tears 3 and 4 when we are young most learn and retain more and the basis of our future is set at this point.
    As a 5 year old I was reading the EVENING WORLD NEWSPAPER to my blind grandfather! I still have the cuttings.. might photo a couple and post as they were just after the end of the war...

8. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Weren’t Corbyn and his cronies protesting AGAINST the lockdown? Ie they want everyone to go back to work - I assume that includes the teachers?

9. Redprintt

Yes, we're all pissed off with the lock down.
    But will you and me be out there protesting putting others at risk?

The 'left' on one hand (Corbyn's brother) says end the lock down and the 'left' with the other hand (Unions) says its not safe to end the lock down.
    The 'left' is just out to cause division and trouble for the government.
    And the BBC love it.

10. Reliant Robin TC2

Reliant Robin TC2 Well-Known Member

Some independent schools are looking at opening in June. I drive a minibus for a local day/boarding independent school and all of their foreign students are now home so that has reduced the total number of pupils from about 550 to 350/375. We are lucky that there is sufficient space for pupils to socially distance so if they can re-open, they will, based upon official advice. I'm sure that there will be numerous others doing the same if they can.

Last edited: May 17, 2020

11. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Whilst war is always horrendous, people that join the armed forces do so of their own free will, and knowing that if their country is involved in a conflict then there are always going to be casualties.

12. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

The whole point of Unions is to look after the interests of their members ,in this case the teachers, of course if it can be done in a safe way that’s fine , the unions will ensure the teachers have a say into ensuring it’s done in a way that protects them as much as possible.
    You say the unions are playing politics, I’m afraid it’s the government that are playing politics. They are being pressured by right wing elements within the Tory party to release the lockdown before we are ready for it. Why do you think Wales, Scotland and NI are still in lockdown.

13. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Crikey Ashton - we all know what the point of unions is. The point being made that you're ignoring is they all too often function on party political lines rather than exclusively for the benefit of their members. Policies adopted and decisions they make are just as much influenced by their political alliegences as "the right wing elements in the Tory party".

Ignoring that and promoting their concern for their members as their only motive is ostrich territory. Best keep an open mind either way and live with the fact that there are vested interests in all sections of society.

Your point about Wales, Scotland and NI still being in lockdown is as much about those in charge flexing their muscles in areas over which they have control. They do not want to be seen as just "followers" of England - more of a shout for self determination which is also broadly politically based depite the concern they express for their inhabitants.

14. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

And in context to what I was replying to. Nurses and Doctors sign up to save lives not with any restrictions to say if a pandemic breaks out we don’t want to do it. They are different breed to most, whilst this is scary times you see 99% of them wanting to be on the front line.

15. AshtonRed

The point made was specifically in relation to the Whether teachers should go back to work and not play politics , the teaching unions are looking to ensure they go back in a safe manor, i then went on to explain the government were the ones playing politics.

16. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I thought the government were paid to play politics whereas the teachers were paid to teach.

I respect the right of individuals in the teaching profession to express their concerns, but they are being used for political ends by the unions that represent them.

To deny the vested political interests of trade unions who are affiliated to the Labour Party and to some extent control it is naive in the extreme.

17. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  18. AshtonRed

The government are paid to govern in the interest of the people not vested interests, the unions job is to look after the interests of their members , which is what they are doing.

19. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

I haven't got the foggiest about how the teachers unions work, nor what the situation is in detail. They might well be using it for political gain, but in all honesty I'm not sure I care about that. If anyone has a job where it is nigh on impossible to social distance, and they are subsequently scared of losing their own life or passing a killer virus onto their dead relatives, I can't say I blame them! Let's not forget a lot of teachers are older and more vulnerable.

It's not the same, but we do have excellent online options now where people can teach remotely. They don't have to miss out on their education. Surely there is only one explanation for so desperately wanting schools back open, and that has to be herd immunity? Kids can carry the virus everywhere while not necessarily being at risk themselves. They're just using this as a smokescreen.

20. Redprintt

Oh Rob, of course there are 'excellent online options now where people can teach remotely'.
    But don't you get it ?
    Children from disadvantaged backgrounds don't have 'options', there's no money in their household.
    And if they go to school they'll get at least one decent meal a day as well as an education.
    Not getting educated means a lifetime of disadvantage and perpetuating what we both detest.
    A widening of society.

Smokescreen ? That's the left Rob and it seems you've bought it.

Supcon72 likes this.