1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

O/T Wayne Rooney...........

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Mad ads666, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Mad ads666

Mad ads666 Well-Known Member

so as we're on another international break:mad: . We have games coming up against feckless opposition. The aforementioned Wayne Rooney will no doubt grab a few goals and edge closer to Bobby Charltons record. So let me ask this,is he all that or a flat track bully. He undoubtably will get all the plaudits when he smashes his 50th goal.Most of those goals will have come against minnows. Always gone missing in the big games,never delivered the potential for england he should have. Will he deserve the adulation he will have piled upon him?

2. Guru of Ipswich

Guru of Ipswich Well-Known Member

He is a great player, obviously flawed in his ability to keep calm but then so many of the great players are. most people have to remember that a lot of his goals have come with him not playing in the out and out striker role, he is a player that likes to go deep and make things happen, but has still notched close to 1 goal every 2 games. you talk about it being against minnows, nine times out of ten, these teams pack their defence so sometimes isn't as easy.

Is he better then Sir Bobby? no probably not but he is still one of the best players in the world.

3. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

He's just a slightly better version of Jay Tabb - nothing more.

4. Hoppersblue10

Hoppersblue10 Well-Known Member

Would Rooney have so many haters if he did not play for United.?

For me he is and has been for a while England's best player, is he as good as some of the past greats, i was born in 66' so not really able to compare with that great squad of the late 60s and early 70s, form the modern era he is up there with Becks, Robson & Butcher.!

5. Hoppersblue10

Hoppersblue10 Well-Known Member

Oh dear.

6. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

I gave up on Rooney when after having hairs from his arse grafted on his head he didn't then choose to sport a centre parting to make it more amusing for me........selfish millionaire footballist.

Serial though I think he got quite good at an early age and never kicked on to be a great player that we thought he had the potential for.

7. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Great player for Man Utd although he seems to have an outstanding season for them followed by a quieter one but despite scoring so many goals for England has never really played that well like so many England players of the so called Golden Generation

8. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Too much is made of Rooney.
    Great player when he came on the scene but not what I would call world class. He just happens to be better than the other players that England has to offer but wouldn't walk into many top international teams' starting line-ups. In fact, we probably only have Sterling and possibly Hart that would get into something like a Dutch, Brazilian or Spanish team.

9. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Like many have said before Rooney is the best England have got and will always get the headlines but he is no way a great player and would never be considered for any of the top international sides but it's all England have got to choose from in the premiership as it's full of foreign players who are great for their country. International football has been desiccated in the UK as we see our home nations field mostly mediocre players not good enough...

10. tractor bhoy

tractor bhoy Well-Known Member

Hes a decent player who on occasions is capable of something remarkable and is equally as capable of being poor and useless. Unfortunately there has been a large percentage of british media/ fans who until recently considered us to be the greatest footballing nation on earth full of world class players. Realism appears to be setting in with the truth that we are a fairly major footballing nation with fairly decent player and the odd touch of genius but more often then not fall short of reaching the top.

11. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

All the home nations are crap and the last time anyone did anything was back in 1966....that's 48 years ago and nothings changed or likely to change as long as we don't kerb the amount of foreign players taking the places of British footballers in our leagues. while other countries get stronger using our two top leagues we are getting weaker...

12. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Rooney would have benefitted far more internationally from at times being dropped and having to force his way into the line up.

Managers have been frightened to drop him, he knows this as do other players in the squad. Right now, Sturridge would be my main man and I may try him with Welbeck.

13. yorkiegit

yorkiegit Active Member

He has scored some fantastic goals but he is not a fantastic player

Most of his England goals were scored against very weak teams in qualifiers yet is always missing in big games

It is very annoying when England managers swap their team about often out of position just to accommodate Rooney
    Just drop him there are more effective players to replace him