1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

O/T Margaret Thatcher Has Died

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by johnnywarksmoustache, Apr 8, 2013.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

<laugh> Like Black Wednesday? Come off it Warky. You can paint events blue all you like but 2008 was a global crash that has left America, Japan and 9/10ths of Europe all in recession. That was Brown's doing?

I don't particularly care what Labour have to say at the moment because it's entirely irrelevant but there is no danger of the Tories 'clearing up the mess', they are very clearly making things very much worse. That is the Cameron soundbite, which he must've repeated close to a thousand times, on which he was handed the keys to number 10. Cameron is proof that if you say it firmly enough and enough times, whether there is any truth to it or not, people will start to believe you.

By the way, we are borrowing even more money, much more, and we're stunting growth at the same time. Wonderful economics.

2. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Said like a true Tory JWM.

Brown didn't do alot right in his time as PM but his finest hour was taking the bull by the horns and pretty much prevented the world going into a much deeper crisis, he forced others to take action with great leadership. Shame he wasn't as good domestically as he was on the international stage.

It's a shame that noone else has ever stepped up to the mark on an international level, it's always been done on half measures since. There's no doubt spending and deficits need to be brought under control but the reliance on austerity to create growth is crazy, it's not just in this country that this is happening but it seems across the globe and noone is bold enough to take action quite like Brown did in 2008 (I believe it was 2008).

3. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

The Markets decide PTC, please don't be deluded enough to think that the government has any choice! Fitch, Moodys, S & P will decide our fiscal economic policy. We had no choice as a country but to reign in spending otherwise the markets would have taken flight and brought a run on the pound. And pleasse don't make Brown out to be some great economics guru when he sold off our Gold reserves at a cut price and ramped up public spending, accelerated PFI and raided pension funds to the tune of £100Million a year! <doh>

4. johnnywarksmoustache

I will give Brown credit however in refusing to join the Euro when under pressure from Blair to do so <ok>

5. itfcptc

Full of so many contradications as usual JWM, do you never see any irony in some of the stuff you write. I see you never replied to my earlier question in this thread when u made such a contradictory comment it was ridiculous. You've gone from blaming Labour for getting us into this mess they saying that the government does not decide this economy but Labour were the ones who got us into the mess not the markets??

I have not said we shouldn't look to get the deficit down, I think half of the governments economic policy is good, i.e making cuts trying to bring the deficit down and at list trying to shift the economy back to some sort of manufacturing but they simply aren't doing enough to get the economy growth going again. It isn't just our nation which is doing this but it seems so is most of europe and if we carry on on this route of austerity, there IMO will be more austerity ahead for longer because of it, it will be a viscious cycle. Too many economies are being strangled and they're all linked.

I think Brown will get great credit and he has been given international credit for making leaders take action in 2008 to prevent the markets from collapsing. Noone since has been bold enough to do so again on an international stage when this is clearly a worldwide problem!

6. johnnywarksmoustache

In the dire state that the Brown government left the country in, the coalition had no choice but to embark on a deficit reduction plan or otherwise the markets would have punished us by creating a run on the pound. So basically the government was left with no real credible alternative thanks to Labour's profligacy. I'm not sure why you think I am contradicting myself!

7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

When JWM doesn't have an answer he just doesn't answer.

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

So where is this deficit reduction? It's all very well having a plan <laugh>

9. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

HYL I'm not defending JWM but you could equally be accused of not replying when you don't have an answer.

10. johnnywarksmoustache

25% off the deficit since 2010 is a good start but then the BBC gets involved and gets all hysterical about the "Savage Cuts" <laugh>

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Find me something I haven't replied to and I'll provide you an answer <ok>

12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

25%? That's interesting.

OK, we all know that Osborne has fudged the figures for the tax year, knocked 25% off the deficit since Christmas has he?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/deficit-worsens-despite-george-osbornes-boast-8429663.html

13. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by Hamps Yorkie Lancs
    Nothing you mention in your list of mistakes are things that the Tories would have done any differently and most of those things were built on Thatcherism.
    HAD the Tories done them I don't think they would have blamed their failure to get reelected on a past leader's personality defect- but that's pure speculation on your part.

If you can be bothered,but this is really becoming rather tedious.

14. itfcptc

Like I said, I have not said there was anything wrong with a deficit reduction plan. Whoever was in power would of had to had one. Where this government has mucked up is it has not had a credible plan for growth. In some ways it's got the right long term plan, i.e reducing the deficit, trying to take a bit of focus off the financial sector and more on the manufacturing industry but without short term initiatives to increase growth it'll take us alot longer to get where we want to be. They've sucked the life out of any recovery which was starting to have green shoots. To me because they have focused so much on austerity the cuts will in the future have to keep getting deeper and deeper!! Osborne has got himself into a hole, like many european countries have got themselves into where they now have very little room to manuveur!!

One thing which I find strange which Labour never mention was the fact that Cameron was comitted to exactly the same government spending as Labour up until the crash happened after which point he was opposed to the bailouts which effectively saved the economy from going into the abyss and for a little while it looked like things had started to pick up, untill everyone went all austerity and things have stagnated or got worse since but it's always more of the same!!

15. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I didn't think there was anything to answer. The only way to respond to that would be a) to reiterate what I had already said. or b) to spend time trawling the Internet for evidence to back it up, which I certainly can't be bothered to do. It is far from speculation, but if you don't agree with such a basic principal that image, PR and presidential-style popularity of the leaders plays a huge part in the election, and that Gordon Brown was inept at this, then there is really little point in arguing the case.

16. stephenhawkingsfootballboots

Guys, with the greatest respect in the world, this is turning into the worst episode of Question Time EVER!

17. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

<laugh>.

18. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

<laugh>.