1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

O/T Halloween

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Chazz Rheinhold, Oct 31, 2014.

1. OedipusTex

OedipusTex Well-Known Member

I'll say this... As a Yank, I'm not too happy as to how Halloween has gotten blown out of proportion here. Growing up in the 1970s it was just a little kids holiday - now it's considered a friggin' season. Homeowners used to decorate their yards upon themes of autumn; now they decorate their yards with spiders, zombies, and other nonsense. I don't know if we're exporting this stupidity or if you are unilaterally importing it, but this Yank certainly isn't proud of it.

P.S. I am not aware of any celebrations, customs, or other observances of November 5. Could it be merely among the expats? I am only marginally aware of the significance because I worked for a scouser for several years.

2. OedipusTex

OedipusTex Well-Known Member

Anotehr note about Halloween from the States. Until about the last 5 or so years, the custom of trick-or-treating was carried out by children up to the age of about 13 or perhaps 14. Their costumes were fun to see, and many would be accompanied by a parent who would stay out on the curb and let their child approach the door. Sometimes they'd don a costume of their own as a fun way to participate with their child. This was a nice American custom. Now they represent a minority of "trick-or-treaters." Most who come to my door are hispanic families, many of whom do not bother to wear a costume, where even the parents present a pillow case for candy. They drive to middle class neighborhoods in vans, and sometimes go to the same house twice go get more of their favorite candy. Somehow there is a cultural disconnect. Instead of a fun tradition for kids they think it is some sort of annual night for gringos to hand out free candy for anyone who wants it.

3. Spook

Spook Well-Known Member

I don't mind Halloween, but I absolutely hate it when chavvy teenagers wearing a ****ty Scream mask come to my door and ask for money.

Cheeky ****s.

4. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

We've gleefully adopted it. It's just another small element that contributes overall to the Americanization of our Country, its culture and history.

Same could be said about, oh I dunno, football. Why not make it more appealing with entertainment at half time, goal music, cheer leaders etc.

Those that support it are guilty of sending our country to the dogs. Even those that think it's just one day and its for the kids. Sadly there's little point fighting it as they think its just so cute.

5. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Oh don't be such a grump you happy bastard.

6. Tuckin

Tuckin Well-Known Member

7. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Yep, this is the sort of thing Halloween is all about.

I have more to say but I'll keep it to myself, too many sad soft of lefty liberal morons on this forum who are actively looking to be offended.