1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

O/T - Abortion

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Master Yoda, Oct 11, 2012.

1. CCC

CCC Poet Laureate

Totally agree. Totalitarianism is the common denominator. <ok>

2. Foredeckdave

Foredeckdave Music Thread Manager

For somebody who uses the philosophy of logical rationalism to employ the concept of evil as the basis for your tirde against religion semonstrates that you have very little control of your understanding of either philosophy.

3. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Damn Suarez.

4. Foredeckdave

. <laugh>

5. Noblelox

Noblelox Well-Known Member

My problem with religion of any flavour, is that it is like performing any task with a 2000 year old instruction manual. While I concede that some things have the same values as way back then, so many other things are no longer relevant, but because it is in the book....

I also loathe the hypocrites who rise to the top of many religions who twist things to suit their needs.

I believe that the only commandment we should all stick to is to treat others as you would want to be treated.

6. CCC

CCC Poet Laureate

That's the 'Golden Rule', Noblelox. It's an ethical rule that some historians believe predates all religions and has been incorporated, in some form or another, into almost every religion. Christians will know it, amongst other similar quotes, from Luke 6:31: 'Do to others as you would have them do to you.'

I agree it's the cornerstone of all reciprocal ethics, and a very good saying.

7. CCC

CCC Poet Laureate

It is theologically neutral, it's true. It's possibly a 'hardwired' genetic thing for all social animals. That would be my guess ('hypothesis'), and I'm sure it's partly supported by work from Pfaff's lab.

8. Foredeckdave

Unfortunately you pick only one half of the instruction given given to Christians which differentiates them from other religions. As defined in Luke 10.27 "'You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.' And, 'Love your neighbour as yourself"

9. CCC

CCC Poet Laureate

Doesn't really add much I'm afraid, Dave. I'm sure if you read the religious texts of other religions there'll be something in them saying pretty much the same thing 'love Allah', etc., etc. The Golden Rule stands on it's own and needs no ancillary instructions. That would be my opinion, obviously.

PS wasn't 'love thy neighbour' in Mark? Or is that passage in both Luke and Mark?

10. Foredeckdave

As has already been pointed out to you every socio-political philosophy also a great source of evil. So where do you want to go from here?

11. Foredeckdave

If you wish to attack Christianity then you really should do some study first. Your use of the word FEAR demonstrates that you have no understanding of it's biblical meaning. Sure, every Christian will fail to meet the instruction fully. However, falling short does not bring punishment, it actually brings forgiveness.

12. Foredeckdave

Great abstarction. Now put those quotes into context and come back and argue.

13. Master Yoda

Master Yoda Well-Known Member

A great, and partly self inflicted loss, is Christopher.

I find religion interesting as a concept; or rather, the idea of spirituality, of which religion is but an organised form.

It is human nature to try and reconcile life's issues; death, meaning, how and why to survive - and religion over history has been the 'answer' to these questions. Of course, more and more, as we learn more and more, religion is quickly becoming the 'god of the gaps' but that's another debate.

Religion is the fear of death, of the unknown. That very human vulnerability that was essential to our survival. From cave paintings, sun worship to Zeus, Apollo, Seth, Allah or Krishna, they all represent very human desires to be loved, to have answers, to have security and a meaning.

But why should there be a meaning? What if we are all the products of chance flying through an absurd universe in which we play a very small role? When you die it will all mean nothing, and to be honest, all of our lives right now, ultimately, mean nothing. And that's okay.

Final thought on religion, or indeed, Christianity? Well, I only believe in one less god than you do.

14. CCC

CCC Poet Laureate

Indeed. He was an intellectual in the truest sense. He was honest and forthright in all he did -- even when he was wrong. He was an atheist and ardent anti-religionist, but was respected by most of his theological opponents. Most of all he was never boring. ;)

Hitchen's joke: A Buddhist monk goes to a hotdog stall and asks proprietor to 'make me one with everything' :)... He then gives the stall owner $5 and awaits his change. When it's not forthcoming he inquires, 'Sir, what about my change?' 'Ah,' replies the vendor, 'surely true change comes from within.' Class joke. It's the way he tells 'em. <ok>

15. Master Yoda

I would agree in part that Christianity has (through institutions) used the concept of hell for its advantage...

But without it we wouldn't have Dante or Milton... so they got two right! Or indeed JRR Tolkien, a devout Catholic.

16. Master Yoda

I loved the way he cut through his opponents. So articulate but very witty.

Pity about the other one.

17. Foredeckdave

You won't argue because you can't argue. The evidence that you forwarded was not constructed by you and therefore you cannot put it into context. Perhaps the biggest problem that you have is that you have been unable to differentiate Christianity as a faith from religion. The former is God given, the latter is man made.

18. CCC

CCC Poet Laureate

It is a peculiarity of man that he requires a purpose for things. The error is that there is no purpose. Purpose is a human construct. Purpose without humanity is pointless. When people say atheism is hollow as it has robbed life of purpose, they have confused cause and effect. There was no purpose to begin with so it could not have been stolen. And, as all other purposes are man-made, your purpose in life can be created to be anything you wish. Men can give their lives whatever purposes they wish. Any glorious purpose from religion can also be followed without religion - except that you have to choose it for yourself.

That means you believe in -1 gods! ;)<ok>

19. Master Yoda

I would call Christianity a religion as it is attached to the vehicle of churches and institutions by 99% of Christians, who believe in a set text, the Bible. Faith is the means of validating the belief.

20. alexb

alexb Well-Known Member