1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

O/T - Abortion

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Master Yoda, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Darth Tash

Darth Tash Well-Known Member

I know it's a womans body, but people need to address the fact that men should have more rights in reproduction.

It's not fair that a woman gets to choose whether a baby lives or dies, regardless of what the man wants. You would never force a woman to kill her baby if she wanted to keep it, so what if a guy really wants the child?

It could kill him inside. It's not fair.

I hope they invent some sort of way harvest unwanted babies from women who want them aborted, then find someway to be able to let it grow into a living baby, so the father of the baby, or people who cannot have children, are given a chance to have a child and take care of it right from birth, so they can experience what they deserve to experience.

2. CCC

CCC Poet Laureate

I respect your opinion, Saint, but find your post a touch troubling. I thought Rev summed up the 'core' issue(s) quite well. Of course it's more complex than that -- isn't everything! -- but I don't think shying from complex problems / debates will solve anything. If you think the dispute insoluble, fair enough. But the world will continue to make decisions and have these debates even in the absence of your opinion. Why not contribute, is all I'm saying, really.

I'm a big fan of free speech so I'd like to know what you disagreed with in Rev's post, and what other points, in your opinion, make the issue more complex? You haven't posted much on this topic, but seem to have a few thoughts on the matter. So why not share them?

3. UnitedinRed

UnitedinRed Well-Known Member

Religion should have no place in this. For one it is one of the primary reasons many women have abortions. The stigma associated with sex and pregnancy by some religions basically forces women down the abortion route for the wrong reasons.

Society also shares the blame. The general opinion on young mums, especially young single mums is very poor. They are judged as a whole. I know a few young mums in their early 20's with children of 2 and upwards and in many cases they are far better parents than the older generation. However some young girls who read magazines and see constant criticisms of young mums, horror stories of chav mums who leave their kids at home while they go on the lash and the Jeremy Kyle style view many have of them scares them senseless.

At home as well. Imagine how it must feel for a young girl to have her mum and dad tell her if she gets pregnant they will disown her and consider her a slut.

I am pro-choice but the reasons above need addressing. The stigma of it all needs removing so that girls dont feel pressured by society, religion and family to abort a baby that in many cases they do want but feel so ashamed and scared that they see no other option.

4. UnitedinRed

I agree with almost everything you have said in here <ok>

5. CCC

CCC Poet Laureate

Agreed. If the pregnancy is accidental then the casting vote must be the woman's because, as you said, it's her body.

If a man really wants a child then he owes it to himself, and to the unborn child, to do it with someone who wants it too.

As Hitchens once said (paraphrasing): the way to Civilisation is by giving women the power over their own reproductive abilities. It's a valid point.

6. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

You do understand you've just agreed with Davidako <yikes>

7. UnitedinRed

Dont worry, I slapped myself <ok>

8. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

When I was still CofE...... rather than just kicking the RC's, I'm pretty sure the official stance of the CofE is anti-abortion. Our local, reactionary, conservative Sun-writng archbishop here in York said something about it years ago, I'm sure. Just to confuse everyone though, when we had our daughter baptised in an Anglican church 15 years ago (I know, I'm a hypocrite securalist) it said it was 'high' church, thus catholic: but not Roman Catholic, if that make sense.

Didn't have a clue what was going on. Good piss-up afterwards though.

Is it really the first abortion clinic in Ni? I had a catholic girlfriend back in LiverpoolHer family were RC's from NI (Derry)., and there were three sisters in the family, and to my knowledge they ALL had abortions - not mine though!

9. Prince Knut

"As Hitchens once said (paraphrasing): the way to Civilisation is by giving women the power over their own reproductive abilities. It's a valid point."

Dolphins do that naturally, and they're pretty civilised. I presume you mean Christopher and not Peter Hitchens?

10. CCC

CCC Poet Laureate

Dongo, seriously, don't mention him in the same breath! He's never been fit to get within kicking distance, let alone lace up Christopher's boots! <ok>

11. Noblelox

Noblelox Well-Known Member

<doh> **** me, put words in my mouth why don't you? Nice how you fixate on the extreme aspects of some fanatics... They have it right in that they still think family is the most important thing compared to holidays, cars or jobs.

So thinking that a particular demographic have a worthwhile concept on one topic means I wholeheartedly endorse every last depraved thing the more extreme elements of their group indulge in? Get a grip fella, sounding like a Daily mail/Sun reader there....

12. Noblelox

Noblelox Well-Known Member

Are you a politician with an answer like that?? Besides, it's better than discussing International Football or Diving.

13. Foredeckdave

Foredeckdave Music Thread Manager

Why? So you wish to act as arbiter of those who are allowed to voice both their opinions and concerned? Therefore why have you not excluded all male homosexuals from having a say? Why have you allowed atheists to have a say? In fact nobody is worthy of having a say!

14. UnitedinRed

Funny you mention homosexuals when talking about religion having no say. If religion had its way, which it has had for far to long there would be no homosexuals, at least not openly.

Religion takes the word of make believe and treats it as fact. It should ha no place in most things. Politics, education, war or abortion. If you want to know why, take each of the 4 things I mentioned and ask yourself, what role has religion played in these areas of life?

I would go as far to say that religion is responsible for a large number of abortions, out dated beliefs some dating back 100's if not 1000's of years. Views and opinions that deem those who become pregnant or engage in sexual activities as scum.

15. UnitedinRed

**** sake I agree again completely.

The single most evil thing mankind has ever created.

16. UnitedinRed

We are going off topic slightly.

I would say someone make a thread about religion to continue the discussion but they dont go well, believers have a tendency to get extremely defensive about it. Insecurities come out and they get angry, very angry in some cases depending on which religion or god you believe in.

17. Foredeckdave

Foredeckdave Music Thread Manager

That is just pure illogical childish nonsense.

18. Prince Knut

Witchcraft. There were loads about in the 17th century, and during the Reformation.

I think I've seen that UIR talking to cats, btw....<whistle>

Seriously, my sister borrowed me Wolf Hall a month back. Just been reading about a burning. And then you read about that young girl shot by the Taliban for having the tememrity to ask for an education.

That said, the biggest massacres and genocides in history have been committed by the extreme political philosophies of Nazism and Communism. Germany under Hitler, Soviet Russia under Stalin and China under Mao. Fanatics are all the same, whether their Gods are in the clouds or are human.

19. Prince Knut

Jne last word on it from me while i think on. I DESPISE Julie Burchill with a passion, and have ever since I was a student and she wrote for the NME, but she has always said something that should end the argument, for me - NOBODY IS FORCED TO HAVE AN ABORTION. Well not outside China, anyway.

20. Schneiderlin's Foxy Face

Schneiderlin's Foxy Face Active Member

The woman should have the choice, up to 22 weeks and as long as its a proper reason. I hate people who are against abortion because of religion; fine then, you don't have an abortion, but you cant force someone to have a baby they don't want.