1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

o/t 2022 World Cup moved to winter

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by bum_chinned_crab, Jan 8, 2014.

1. RicardoHCAFC

RicardoHCAFC Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Why the PL needs to start a week after the rest of the football calendar is beyond me. Start it the same weekend. Break up for the holidays, first weekend of August you let clubs show off all their new signings to fans by having friendlies (and the Community Shield if we're starting the PL the same time as the FL), then the next weekend the season starts properly for everybody. Midweek before the season would obviously be more friendlies.

2. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Giggs Boson ‏@giggs_boson
    FIFA Vice President Julio Grondona (voted for Qatar): "I do not believe a Jew can ever be a referee at this level. It's too much hard work".

How the **** do these morons get away with comments like that? <doh>

3. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Surely you mean 'trying to' :emoticon-0105-wink:

I can see the point that Summer football would be nice but Kempton is spot on, there'd be nothing good about January and February if there was no football.

The problem with it all for me is the disruption it would cause. To change from playing football in winter to summer you'd have to have either a year off between seasons or no gap between seasons at some point. Furthermore it's just needless change that none of the football world want. I hate how FIFA and UEFA have so much power to do things that are so unpopular with the football world and they never even have an explanation. Why is this world cup in Qatar? We still have no explanation for this bizarre situation? The fact they can't stage the tournament properly means they shouldn't get it. If England were hosting a World Cup and it turned out after the announcement that we weren't able to fulfill our tender we'd be stripped of it without a doubt.

4. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

You're allowed to say that about Jews, just not Muslims.

5. Chilton's Hundreds

Chilton's Hundreds Well-Known Member

Personally, I see this as a fantastic opportunity to re-schedule the whole European football calendar.

Start from scratch, a complete blank canvas. Plan the leagues so they don't clash with international breaks. In fact don't have international breaks.

Finally get rid of the club v country rows.

Have a transfer window during a period of no games.

Overhaul the cups - domestic and European.

All it needs is some forethought, planning and common sense.

6. RicardoHCAFC

Forum Moderator

The amount of stuff they're developing tech wise (stadium, pitch, etc) that will then be made available to poorer nations to allow them to host future world cups.

It hasn't turned out Qatar are incapable of hosting it. They still say they'll be able to and that they'll have the stadiums designed and equipped with air con etc that will make it perfectly possible to play the games safely. The idea they can't is entirely from other people who are pressuring the powers that be, how the **** do these other people know what is going to be doable in 8 years time better than the people who are developing the things?

7. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

They submitted a tender for a summer tournament - that's what the World Cup is. If they can't do that and FIFA are having to change everything then it's totally unfair on the others who tried to host it. The likes of Australia didn't know that a winter World Cup (summer for them of course) was an option. What if they could have promised something better with that in mind? It's incredible that this is being changed after the tender process. I maintain that if it was England it would be different and I suspect that this is far more to do with Blatter's mission of promoting football in minor countries where it isn't popular than anything to do with technology. The stuff Qatar can do is because they have so much money, how will that help other nations do the same without the money Qatar have got?

8. Quill

Quill Bastard

If Blatter truly wanted to spread the World Cup to other countries, then he should have given it to Australia.

It was the most logical choice of all the 2022 bids.

9. RicardoHCAFC

Forum Moderator

They submitted a tender for a summer world cup and are still saying they can hold it in the summer. It's every other ****er telling FIFA it can't happen then that's creating the pressure to change it not Qatar having an inability to host it then.

They're supposed to be funding the use of it for the other countries.

10. BillyBobBallbag

BillyBobBallbag Well-Known Member

Don't move it to winter, move it somewhere else entirely.
    Qatar are ****ing with people's lives trying to get cheap labour in to build this, with all their money ! They **** off the builders after having taken their papers, no money, no way home, **** em.

11. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

So you start a thread about moving the WC, quietly slip it in about "The Hammer" coming out as gay, then come out with moving our season cos its too cold!!! Plus your a big lover of Italian football. Its all beginning to make sense now isnt it Bummy.

Well in your own time. I just want you to know we all support you at this difficult time whatever you decide.

12. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

I know right. :(

Rumours of our bid suing FIFA, because they had to run the bid in opposition to the AFL and NRL who play over our winter, but with news the World CUp is going to Summer, we could have had the AFL and NRL supporting the bid, as it wouldn't have affected their season, and in fact given both sports better quality Stadiums.

13. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

You've only just twigged, Sweetcheeks?

14. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

This is the point I was getting at, although I didn't know the Australian example was so perfect.

15. TONY_WARNERS_FACE.

TONY_WARNERS_FACE. Well-Known Member

Get rid of that chip on your shoulder for ****'s sake. You come across as a right daft ****.

16. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Is it not true? Shouldn't there be outrage about that comment even if it was 'only' about Jews?

17. TONY_WARNERS_FACE.

TONY_WARNERS_FACE. Well-Known Member

The comment's clearly unacceptable, but it has **** all to with Muslims.