1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

NUFC lose Challenge

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Deletion Requested1, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

You collect bins? I know you lot are strange. Punch horses, **** dogs, but to have a collection of bins is rather strange.

Billy Death, rooch 3 and Brian Storm like this.
  2. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

This is a lot worse than I thought.

Newcastle United “systematically abused” the tax system and “secretly” paid players and agents during transfer dealings, it has been claimed.

The allegations emerged after St James’ Park and West Ham United’s ground were raided in April by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) as part of a probe into suspected income tax and National Insurance fraud.

The full judgement has now been published and revealed Operation Loom looked into five of the club’s transfers between 2010/13, involving Demba Ba, Sylvain Marveaux, Moussa Sissoko , Davide Santon and Papiss Cissé.

HMRC said it believed that the club had “systematically abused” the tax system and therefore all payments to agents were potentially the subject of criminal proceedings .

It was also alleged that the club knew payments to agents were being “secretly” funnelled to other unlicensed agents and players in a bid to circumvent income tax and National Insurance.

The report by its officers said: “I believe that the contractual arrangements are a sham and do not reflect what actually happened.

“The club’s agents passed on the vast majority of their fees to other agents acting for the players or to associates of the players, or possibly to the players themselves.

“By using purported clubs agents as intermediaries to conceal the payments to players and their agents, the players and the club were able to evade income tax and national insurance contributions respectively by not treating payments to players’ agents on behalf of players as taxable benefits enjoyed by the player.”

After investigating Ba’s transfer from West Ham to Newcastle in 2011, HMRC said: “It appears NUFC paid agent’s fees for services of £1.9m in full knowledge that the majority would be passed on to other agents and to a company associated with the player, thereby bestowing on the player a benefit that would have generated estimated liabilities for income tax and NIC.

“I believe that NUFC must have known that they were using STAINROD to pass on the money to third parties.”

HMRC went on to say that “further suspicions” arose after the forward left Newcastle to join Chelsea in January 2013.

Newcastle United has denied any wrongdoing and argued that no reasonable grounds existed for believing it had engaged in tax fraud.

The club said: “We are disappointed with this decision given the court’s findings.

“We are considering all of our options with our advisers, including whether to pursue an appeal.”

3. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

No need for emergency tax nowadays mate you just fill in a P46 takes 30 seconds.

Brian Storm likes this.
  4. Deleted #

I've just had a phone call. They're making the NMC at Team Valley redundant on the 31st December. I've been there since 2006. It's been coming a while, the company has been nose diving and palming work off to Manilla for a long time now.

5. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

Dude whatever, you own a dildo <laugh>

6. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Its happened the same to my son but when he rang them they realized they had given him the wrong tax code as well so you get back again. <ok>

Nads likes this.
  7. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

I really don't <laugh> Being wrong like this kind of comes with the territory when you can't let jokes go. 6 years since I let that joke go man <laugh><doh>

8. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

I think we should hold a poll, "Does JPF win any dispute because he has never owned a dildo?"... if only to out people with Dildos <laugh>

9. Brian Storm

Out me over what? According to you the ownership of the dildo is already out there. Don't think it through, it might hurt your head and then you might reply but dinner is nearly ready and you're a dickhead. <laugh>

10. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

JPF is about as funny as having leprosy.

11. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Virgin?

Deleted likes this.
  12. GeordieHalfbreed

GeordieHalfbreed Well-Known Member

I assume you've heard the one about what the leper said to the prostitute?

13. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Nothing, because when she took her clothes off his jaw dropped.

Hefty fullback and commachio like this.
  14. Deleted #

Yep. Bunch of ****ers. I'm in the minority of 1 who seems to be happy about it <laugh>

15. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

PM me when the time comes mate I’ll have something for you ;)

Deleted likes this.
  16. GeordieHalfbreed

That's probably funnier than the actual punchline.

17. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I try, so to make up for ruining your joke what did the leper say to the prostitute?

GeordieHalfbreed likes this.
  18. GeordieHalfbreed

He told her to keep the tip

Warmir Pouchov, commachio and Nacho like this.
  19. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I am sure it was the waitress he was speaking to when he said that.<laugh>

20. Brian Storm

Nice little article from their Media partner:emoticon-0102-bigsm on the Mag board they're rubbishing it as not even thread worthy <laugh>

Newcastle United facing major tax fraud probe with around £500million worth of transfer deals under scrutiny
    The Toon are facing questions as HMRC’s Operation Loom officers believe Newcastle "systematically abused the tax system"

AROUND half a billion pounds worth of Newcastle United transfer deals face forensic scrutiny from a major tax fraud probe.

HMRC’s Operation Loom officers believe Newcastle “systematically abused the tax system and therefore all payments to agents made by Newcastle were potentially the subject of criminal proceedings”.

They revealed that the five cases of suspected fraud involving the Tyneside club may just be the tip of the iceberg of what could be set to become one of English football’s biggest-ever tax investigations.

Toon officials had challenged the legality of a series of HMRC search and seize raids in April.

But two High Court judges ruled on Wednesday that the warrants were lawfully issued.

Papiss Demba Cisse celebrates after scoring a goal to level the scores
    The deal for Papiss Cisse is among those being investigated (Image: Mark Runnacles / Getty)

Demba Ba's transfer is also being assessed (Image: Getty Images)
    The original thrust of Operation Loom centred on deals that brought Demba Ba, Papiss Cisse, Sylvain Marveaux, Davide Santon and Moussa Sissoko to St James’ Park between 2011 and 2013.

HMRC claim arrangements between Newcastle, football agents and players allowed the player to evade liability for income tax and employee’s NICs, and Newcastle to evade liability for employers’ NICs and to claim inflated VAT refunds.

Tax officer Lee Griffiths revealed in court papers that the extent of the club’s suspected evasion may be on a far bigger scale than first imagined.

Griffiths said in court documents that HMRC’s focus at the time was the signing of five players by Newcastle, but he believed that the practices uncovered in these five transfers were common across many of their player transfer dealings.

The five transfers had taken place in the tax years 2010/2011, 2011/2012 and 2012/2013. Newcastle had been subject to a civil tax enquiry for the 2011/2012 tax year, but was believed not to have disclosed all relevant emails in response to HMRC’s enquiries at that stage.

In response to one of the questions set out on the application form seen by the court, Griffiths stated that he believed that Newcastle had systematically abused the tax system and therefore all payments to agents were potentially the subject of criminal proceedings.

He explained that, at the time of the five transfers, Derek Llambias was the managing director and Lee Charnley was the Football Secretary.

He noted that Llambias had ceased to be a director on June 19, 2013 and Charnley had become the Managing Director on April 7, 2014. HMRC’S revelation almost certainly means that they will sift through many more Toon transfers both incoming and outgoing in a bid to find more cases of possible wrongdoing.

It would be difficult to vet all the 100-plus transfer deals involving around £540million in fees since owner Mike Ashley bought the club 10 years ago if HMRC were able to seize the files.

But there is no doubt that Operation Loom will widen the scope of their investigation following Wednesday’s court success.

Their breakthrough came when football agent Simon Stainrod, a former QPR player had files seized in relation to receiving £1.9m from Newcastle for the Ba deal and then distributing all but £136,000 of it to other agents and a company associated with the player.

HMRC could well look again at transfers in the 2011/2012 tax year, when they believed Newcastle hadn’t disclosed all relevant emails in response to their inquiries.

Senegalese star Ba’s £7m move to Chelsea in January 2013 is another deal that could come under the microscope. Griffiths revealed “further suspicions arising out of the transfer of Demba Ba to Chelsea in January 2013”.

There were only two fleeting mentions of the Toon’s billionaire owner Ashley in the document and no criticism of him or directors Graham Carr and Bobby Moncur.

Charnley, whose home was raided in April along with St James’ Park and the Magpies training ground, was arrested, but later released without charge.

The Magpies MD faced some withering criticism in the court document. HMRC investigator Griffiths accused Charnley of having “a track record of dishonesty” and claimed “he could not be trusted”.

Charnley (right) had his house raided by officers (Image: Stu Forster)
    Griffiths said: “Mr Charnley had demonstrated his lack of honesty by misleading the FA officials who had interviewed him.

“This was founded on Mr Griffiths’ view that Mr Stainrod had told the truth in his interview with HMRC, which axiomatically meant that Mr Charnley had not told the truth when he advanced a different story in his interview with the FA.”

Newcastle could yet further delay HMRC’s examination of the documents they seized in April by launching an appeal. Until that situation is resolved HMRC are unable to view the data they seized six months ago.

A Toon spokesman admitted they were considering “whether to pursue an appeal.”

HMRC are pleased with the way Operation Loom is progressing, but a resolution to the inquiry could still be a year or so off.

In other words AUDIT! :1980_boogie_down: