1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Now here's a question.........

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by FrankfurterBlue, Dec 9, 2015.

1. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

......would you prefer Garry Monk to Russell Slade? It's only a question to provoke a bit of debate so don't shoot me. There's lots to comment upon both concerning his demise as well as his skills or otherwise as opposed to the currnt tenant.

2. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

Tin Tin has been treated abysmally by the fans and board at Swansea after years of service at a club who are punching well above their weight.
    Theyve become too big for their boots and will deserve what they get.

Of course hes better than Slade. But I wouldnt want him.

3. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This time last year you'd think a choice of Monk with no experience against Slade with 20+ years behind him in managment would be no contest but that narrow view is very deceptive. One season on, and despite Monk doing everything asked of him in the Prem last year, he's paying the price for a club who can't afford to fail.

We failed abysmally at that level and then got Slade who on the face of it is doing what was asked of him in the Championship. I think Monk could probably have done better here even with the (alleged) limited resources - especially with the squad Slade inherited and those he eventually retained. Let's face it, Slade's imports since he's been here have been an absolute disaster in the main.

Without wanting to get drawn into any disputes, Cardiff have been able to survive due to Tan whether we like it or not. Swansea are in a very different situation altogether and are desperate not to drop out of the Premier League. No matter what money they've earned whilst up there this past 5 years, it's expensive just being there and to overcome the financial shock of the drop, any club has to be very resilient.

I wonder if this sacking is good judgement or just desperation and an indication that Jenkins and Co haven't covered all the bases should the unthinkable happen. As good (very good to be honest about it!) as they've been up there, they're a small club with limited resources should they come down.

4. Hilts24

They will get relegated eventually anyway. Surely theyve got plenty of money to cope with the drop?

Monk was on a hiding to nothing. Small club who have done exceptionally well. The likely direction for a small club like Swansea was always down. They are not in the relegation zone so why sack him?

Most Championship clubs are bigger than Swansea. Monk may get a job where he can take a club forward and pass and wave at those who have treated him so badly as they head downwards.

5. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Portsmouth, Wigan, Blackpool and Bolton amongst others didn't, and most of them are bigger clubs than Swansea as well.

Good financial management on the other hand could sort it - has Jenkins and Co factored in the possibilty and prepared for it just in case?

6. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Keep dreaming sunshine <ok>

7. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

I think the finances are a very relevant issue when there is no sugar daddy and no assets to generate cash. Swansea's last accounts show a loss of 16 million or so that were only wiped put by transfer sales. That means that such clubs need to be constantly buying and selling successfully to survive. Without major salary reductions on relegation to bring wages in line with income, all good earners have to be sold. We tend to make much of parachute payments but they are often sucked up by maintaining wages.......which, I guess, was the main reason such payments were planed and made.
    But it would appear that Swansea DON'T have any money saved should the drop come.

8. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Would you have kept a manager who was taking you at full speed to relegation?

9. Hilts24

Depends who they are manager of and what resources and expectations are.

Bournemouth will probably go down. Howe is one of the best young managers around. I wouldnt sack him.

Villa big club. Sherwood deserved the sack.

10. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Fair point. I asked the question because I'm interested why you think Monk has been treated abysmally by the Swans Board, bearing in mind they gave him a chance to manage a Premier League Club when he didn't have full coaching qualifications, rewarded him well financially and will hand him a three million pound severance.

NB I agree about Eddie Howe. He's doing extremely well in difficult circumstances. Bournemouth gave us a footballing lesson a few weeks back and I've got a sneaky feeling they will survive.

11. isawronnymoorescore

isawronnymoorescore Well-Known Member

Interesting year in the annual battle against relegation in the EWPL, Personally i think that Villa and Sunderland are doomed, then you can perm any 1 from about 6, Swansea are on an abysmal run at the moment, but i think they have enough in the tank to keep them safe just. Its all looking like a last day fiasco where Villa will be long gone and the likes of Sunderland, Bournemouth, Swansea and Norwich needing some kind of permutation to keep themselves safe. I would rather see both Cardiff and Swansea in the EWPL, as it would bode well for the national team next year in terms of recognition.

12. Stevoldinho

Stevoldinho Well-Known Member

Jenkins has an unbelievable record with regards to hiring and firing in recent years. I'm sure the decision to sack him wasn't taken lightly if for no other reason than the £3m.

I agree with PGF that Swansea looked like they were heading towards relegation. Fat Sam is already doing his thing at Sunderland, Eddie Howe and Bournemouth are a class act, Norwich deserve respect as a side that can get results. Before Sunday you'd have said the Geordies look like favourites along with the Villa but that Liverpool performance showed they're not dead yet. Swansea are probably the 2nd worst side in the division right now and if that was allowed to continue it could only end one way.

13. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I agree - Jenkin's past spectacular success with his timing and choice of managers means he's got a lot to live up to. Can he repeat it? - no reason why not.

I see that Poyet and Moyes are favourites with the bookies just ahead of Rodgers in the betting. Moyes would probably steady the ship whilst Poyet would shake it all up - not sure which would be the best approach for the Swans at this time. Moyes maybe the safer pair of hands.

I'd be surprised if Rodgers went back - with all due respect to them, I'd expect him to aim a bit higher given his time with the scousers.

14. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

PGFWhite likes this.
  15. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

He did have a 100% record Nin.

Moyes has said he's not interested and I wouldn't go back if I was Brenda. The Jacks were not happy campers when he left and would they be so fickle as to accept him back with open arms? <whistle>

That leaves Poyet from the current list. If Scott Young had any ambition surely he would apply. <yikes>

16. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

not sure what difference it would make Ronnie. Hardly a Welshman between either squad, certainly not ours.