1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Nothing To Do With Me Guv

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jan 24, 2023.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

‘My job is…’ - Nigel Pearson outlines Bristol City role ahead of transfer deadline
    The January transfer window has seven days left, but what’s the state of play at Bristol City? Nigel Pearson reveals the clubs position.
    https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/...-city-role-ahead-of-transfer-deadline-3999280

Bullet Points ~
    * The January transfer window has seven days left, but what’s the state of play at Bristol City? Nigel Pearson reveals the clubs position.
    * Nigel Pearson is focusing on matters on the field at Bristol City and has admitted he is not in charge of the current transfer situation
    * There is an increasing possibility that no new players will arrive at Ashton Gate.
    * Any transfer decisions will be in the hands of departing CEO Richard Gould
    * “I’ll expect or I will deal with whatever comes our way,” he said. “It could be very quiet, there could be things happening
    * My job as a manager is to manage the team. My job is not to manage the transfer situation that’s not part of what I do.”

That's it then, 7 days to go and transfers are nothing to do with Nige, he is only there to manage the team.

2. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Go figure! Is it any wonder when the right hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing that we are consistently apathetic towards the team. I said I didn't expect us to do much if anything and here we are waiting for nothing to happen. Perhaps a few extra quid in the coffers might tempt some action and that almost means selling off any crown jewels left in the vault. It would not surprise me at all if Nigel said to hell with this and left at the end of the season because, like so many others, he has to be disillusioned with the lack of commitment by the owner. Given the time left in the transfer window and an apparent total lack of effort to improve the squad it won't come as any shock that we will stand still and await our fate by osmosis. Why do we even bother? <doh>

3. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nice try to stimulate some football discussion wiz, but you should have mentioned sexual deviants or transvestites to ensure it.....<laugh>:emoticon-0105-wink:

4. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Talking of sexual deviants, how are you doing OS ? <laugh><laugh>

Angelicnumber16 and Oldsparkey like this.
  5. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Bullet Points ~
    * Nigel Pearson is focusing on matters on the field at Bristol City and has admitted he is not in charge of the current transfer situation
    * There is an increasing possibility that no new players will arrive at Ashton Gate.
    * Any transfer decisions will be in the hands of departing CEO Richard Gould
    * “I’ll expect or I will deal with whatever comes our way,” he said. “It could be very quiet, there could be things happening
    * My job as a manager is to manage the team. My job is not to manage the transfer situation that’s not part of what I do.”
    [/QUOTE]

What a load of BS! How on earth is he not involved in transfers? This also begs the long held question/argument, has it always been this way for the managers at BCFC since SL has been in charge? A previous manager was slated for transfer dealings, which I have always suspected he did not have full control over, despite what was said at the time. I'm interested on Redprintt's take on this revelation.....

6. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Lack of commitment from the owner? The same one that transfers money into shares to bail us out every year?
    We’ve no money, if we spend any money before we sell and don’t sell we will fall foul of FFP. So what do you want? Take a gamble which could involve points deduction or just wait and see if Semenyo can raise some money.
    We are in this mess by the owner signing off (with his lack of commitment) daft wages we couldn’t afford once we could not sell.

AshtonRed and Red Robin like this.
  7. invermeremike

I fully understand your comments ROD but despite the financial input from Lansdown we still seem incapable of getting it right. All of the issues that bother you are exact in every detail and yet we still are playing in the relegation pool again and looking like we are adrift in the deep end without any solid destination. Keep the faith and let's just hope something falls in our favour.

8. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

What a load of BS! How on earth is he not involved in transfers? This also begs the long held question/argument, has it always been this way for the managers at BCFC since SL has been in charge? A previous manager was slated for transfer dealings, which I have always suspected he did not have full control over, despite what was said at the time. I'm interested on Redprintt's take on this revelation.....[/QUOTE]

You seem confused.
    You say it's bs if it's Pearson.
    But you suspect it's not with a 'previous manager'.
    For me, I'm sure a manager has a say in transfer dealings.
    Not sure why you keep mentioning a 'previous manager'.
    He's history, get over it.

My brother reckons that all who are still fixated with our 'previous manager' should read the Hibs fans forum.
    Apparently they hate him more than City or Sunderland fans.

Me ? Not interested !

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  9. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

That goes against popular belief on here.
    Many people claim that the manager has EVERYTHING to do with transfers and is held to account over money spent on players………

10. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Of course Nigel Pearson has input with incomings and outgoings if you think he does not you are daft as a brush.

11. Supcon72

But, he’s clearly stated he doesn’t….

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  12. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Keep it quite he certainly does have major input:emoticon-0148-yes:

13. AshtonRed

Is that you Basil ? <laugh><laugh>

14. AshtonRed

I’d say he has an input as to who comes and goes, to a point, if a player wants to go and a fee is agreed Nige won’t be able to veto it. But he will have a say in who comes to the club.

Red Robin likes this.
  15. Supcon72

The party line before was "if the manager came out and said it, then it's true". That can't change now... Personally, I think LJ, DH and NP can suggest players, then it gets handed over to the CEO and his team to work out wages and contracts etc. I think Ashton was far more autocratic than Gould was, so I'm sure NP has more say on each and every player than the previous 2 did, and by that I mean, if MA wanted a player he brought them in regardless of manager input. Gould doesn't strike me as that type. If he is, then SL has learnt nothing, and the club will not move forwards, regardless of how much cash he personally pumps in.

16. invermeremike

I think your last line sums us up in a nutshell Supcon. If the on-field boss is not allowed to have input into the players that are needed then it must come from the book of ancient football philosophy. Apathetic comes to mind immediately and another comment on here that said we are a part of the "have nots" and Bournemouth are in the "haves" category rattles my brain. When you look around at the last 40 or 50 years and see the teams that have achieved something worthy of note, like success beyond belief or joining the elite, is it any wonder why we truly deserve to be a "have not"? Ambition that is reachable and sustainable is the key to success and the future, and I have never seen that mantra hovering over Ashton Gate. How sad!!!

17. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

question is what comes first the penalty or the promotion to Prem ....!

Reliant Robin TC2 likes this.
  18. Reliant Robin TC2

Reliant Robin TC2 Well-Known Member

I’m sure we could run a book on that question!!

19. AshtonRed

We’re bound to miss anyway, so it’ll be a massive anticlimax <laugh>

20. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Penalty?
    Only the opposition gets those. No point in even thinking about them.