1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread Not606 2016 Japanese Grand Prix Chat and Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by taeleon, Oct 3, 2016.

?

Take your pick for the number 1 spot this weekend:

Poll closed Oct 9, 2016.
  1. Nico Rosberg

23.5%
  2. Lewis Hamilton

64.7%
  3. Daniel Ricciardo

5.9%
  4. Kimi Raikkonen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sebastian Vettel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Max Verstappen

5.9%
  7. Valtteri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sergio Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Nico Hulkenberg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other, please state in bold in the thread.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

I highly regard Alonso. Vettel is giving me food for thought at the moment, was it just the car?

2. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

In 2014 Vettel just didn't look motivated, which I put down to the grind of 4 championships in a row, having a child and a combination of the disappointment of realising just how badly Renault had screwed up and how long a road back it would be and sensing that this was an opportunity to cruise for a year and recover. In retrospect I don't think that was giving Daniel enough credit and it worries me how quickly that Seb has returned this year after being impressive again last year. I do feel he has fallen out of love with F1 somewhat (or at least Ferrari).

3. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

I think you're likely spot on with all points there. 4 titles and becoming a father probably all just took their toll. And with the current state of Ferrari, just about any driver would begin to lose a bit of their edge or feel less motivated. The team has been an utter cluster.

He'll bounce back though. If I were Merc, I'd have done all I could to have him in Rosberg's seat alongside Hamilton. What a team that would be...Unless they both go off the boil together, but I'd imagine they'd keep the other at the top of their game.

4. Sportista

Given how close Nico has been able to stick to Hamilton, you'd think Vettel would have had the edge.

What I worry about with Sebastian now is how quickly he has given up this year and whether he'd have the stomach for another title fight. Max and Daniel are really hungry, after years in the wilderness Alonso I think would fight to the end given another sniff. Whereas I wonder whether this Vettel would have the motivation, belief and hope to win a championship like 2010 again?

Similarly If he is Champion this year, I expect Nico to slip back again next year. I get the impression having achieved something he probably thought he never would, he'll not be able to motivate himself to the same level again.

5. SgtBhaji

I think if Vettel gets a sniff of another car that will give him a shot at the title he'll have the stomach for the fight. I can appreciate how tough it must be to give your all in a team that's really not exactly at its sharpest. Ferrari have been failing for quite a while now and there's not much sign of it getting any better.

6. Sportista

I do rate Vettel, but like you I do wonder how long it will be before we get to find out whether he could still fight at that level against a similarly motivated competitor.

7. SgtBhaji

Gotta hope he's not waiting as long as Alonso!

8. Mrcento

Mrcento Active Member

Vettel for me has twigged exactly why Alonso left, I suspect he's looking elsewhere too.There's no motivation there.

He took his seat, got a much better than expected car, Ferrari seemed all positive, he was living the dream and fully motivated with the promise that this year, they'd be serious contenders.

Then they delivered an omnishambles and continued the soap opera of accusations and sackings. It's all hot air and politics at Ferrari, they are never going to produce a car as strong as Mercedes or as technically able as Red Bull could, let alone keep developing it throughout a season. Would say there's even a real threat again that McLaren with a big step on the Honda donkey next year and in the not too distant future, Renault, could produce cars at least as capable, if not more so in many areas.

SgtBhaji likes this.
  9. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

10. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Trouble is that for all the antics from Hamilton most of those motoring journos are twats and if one of them came to my motorhome and told me off for my behaviour in a press conference I would tell them to piss off.

11. SgtBhaji

Not sure who's acting more of a brat between Hamilton and the press. They act all offended yet they lap it up.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  12. Sportista

I'd say that is pretty factual. Clearly from the perspective of the press, but other than "huffily" it seems pretty accurate.

13. SgtBhaji

Hamilton is his own worst enemy at times. He creates his own problems when he needs to be getting his head down and focusing on his racing. I don't think he's a bad bloke, just a bit daft now and then.

14. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

I'm not excusing Hamilton's behaviour here, but really when you think about it, what does this "meltdown" consist of other than rubbing some hacks up the wrong way? Journalists with their inflated sense of self-importance are up in arms because he did not give them what they considered their due respect. They are in a position to take their revenge by sensationalising it as much as possible, which is what they have done and what they like to do. Really it's a story by journalists about how he wasn't being nice enough to journalists. Hardly a meltdown.

15. Sportista

I think the point isn't about the severity of his actions, but the bizarreness of them - the first press conference specifically. His behaviour was totally random and his reaction and comments after too, suggesting the pressure has gotten to him.

From there yes, it's a three way fight between Hamilton, the press and I assume (despite Wolff's comments) the team, but it's the initial behaviour that is key here.

16. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

He doesn't like it when people don't lick his arse, he's just an egotistical bell-end

17. SgtBhaji

I don't think his buggering about with snapchat was anything particular terrible, a little odd, but nothing more than a head shaker. I think his reaction to the press was a bit daft though and causing himself a distraction he didn't need. Just do the talking on the track.

He came out of the whole affair with a certain amount of egg on his face and plenty of material for those he'd taken to task to use against him.

18. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Immature, childish and probably not what the sponsors want.

19. SgtBhaji

I doubt the sponsors will give a crap to be honest.

20. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

There's an unwritten rule which applies to most sports but is particularly important when big sponsors are involved – and none more so than professional motorsport: "Don't mess with the press".

It seems he'd actually prefer it in writing…