1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread Not606 2016 Italian Grand Prix Chat and Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by taeleon, Aug 30, 2016.

?

Take your pick for who will be walking away with the winners trophy.

Poll closed Sep 4, 2016.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

88.9%
  2. Nico Rosberg

5.6%
  3. Daniel Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sebastian Vettel

5.6%
  5. Kimi Raikkonen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Max Verstappen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Valtteri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sergio Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Nico Hulkenberg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other please state in bold in the thread.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

You need to stop reading Benson articles. If you read and believe all this stuff, then no wonder people get uptight about it. If we believed everything in the papers and not used our judgement to work out what is true and what is biased journalism then we'd all kill ourselves if we eat bacon and immigrants are going to steal our children.

DHCanary likes this.
  2. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Without trying to incite anything I'll just say "welcome to my world".

happyal likes this.
  3. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

True press would have written in detail about the start, the comparable stints of Nico and Lewis, the aggressive (if fundementaly flawed) Ferrari strategy and the RB / Williams battle.

I've read an article which indicates there is an inherent flaw in the Merc launch procedure with the torque ratio - this has affected both drivers, yet if we look at the past posts, envariably Nico gets accused of bottling it on his bad starts - Lewis's start? There is obviously a problem yet no discussion?

Ferrari huffed and puffed but no avail - at least they tried! They have been slated for being passive or making complete blunders, but I think they should have been complemented for this. Who knows, with a Saftey car their strategy could have paid off (Aka Spa) would this then have been a cracker?

Honda still remain a massive enigma - quali pace at both Spa and Monza were 1.5-2.0 seconds off - for a combustion increase in power and suggestions that they have one of the best deployments - this just doesn't correlate? In Spa they admitted they were running higher downforce, yet in sector 2 they were still 6/10ths off - where's this mega chassis?

For me it just seems that if there isn't a Lewis story, the press don't won't to know and envairably the boards go quiet.

happyal likes this.
  4. happyal

happyal Active Member

LOL, yes you're right, but the fact is that he's a BBC journalist, he should be as unbiased as possible and quick frankly, it's not good enough to carry on letting him produce the crap he's writing.

Could be worse, at least it's only sport they are biased about, and nothing important like policies......right?

cosicave likes this.
  5. Smithers

Forum Moderator

This is a good read.

6. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

I don't think it was anything to do with the Nico, Lewis rivalry but more he doesn't drive a red car. It wasn't meant in a nasty way I think but more of a playful booing though it's still out of order. As allsaintschris says, it was in the Olympics too, a similar kind of booing. Not meant to be harmful but ultimatly is.

With regards to the race it seems Nico is damned if he does damned if he doesn't. If Lewis wins it's a "Nico bottled it again". If Nico wins and Lewis had a mess up somewhere it's a "Nico was gifted the win".

I can understand the British media stand point though as they title and focus their articles on what will give them the most clicks. Generally speaking British people will want to know how Lewis and Jenson did, given Jenson's uncompetative McLaren it's currently only Lewis really. So the articles will be slightly biased.

Go to Italy and it will be all about Ferrari. I imagine spain talk about Alonso, Mexico about Perez etc.

7. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Errr.... hang on. So nobody is taking about the race because Hamilton didn't win? Not the fact that it was mostly another absolutely massive bore-fest beyond the first lap?

It's weird how somehow, no matter what the outcome of a race, we always end up at the same place... Lewis Hamilton. I don't get it.

I think everyone here is of the same opinion when it comes to F1 right now, that it's mostly dull and there's little left to talk about most of the time. It's the same crap week in, week out. I hardly see this place gushing when Hamilton wins. It's just another routine race.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  8. Smithers

Forum Moderator

In essence yes, I think the lack of activity on here is because he didn't win or have a controversial drive, whether that's pro or negative comments in relation to the outcome. For me the only difference between here and Spa is The first corner taking out 3 competitive cars which would likely have beaten Lewis and the red flag. It was just as boring And processional, yet we had plenty to discuss. In fact a lot of Lewis's wins have been a "bore fest", driving off into the sunset without a care in the world. It's not aimed at you guys, your here discussing.

A good read if you have the time.

9. allsaintchris.

The BBC lost all credibility a long time ago for bias.

Whilst I can't stand the man, it's clear they have an issue with Jeremy Corbyn for instance. Every opportunity to put him down they do it, yet seem to gloss over anything else in politics where the issue is bigger but they choose not to sensationalise it in the same way.

10. allsaintchris.

At least with Spa the talking point was Max! Without him the race would have got even less coverage on here than it did. I think because there is no real shake up to the order of F1, it becomes increasingly difficult to get excited about it when there is no true competition.

We've been trying to make something of the HAM/ROS rivalry, but that's been going for 3 seasons now and we've all run out of stuff to say about that!

Smithers likes this.

11. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

I think the problem at Monza was that there just wasn't any real incident.

After Spa we talked about Verstappen's defensive tactics
    After Germany about whether Rosberg's penalty was justified
    After Austria about Rosberg's horrendous defence and whether he should have been disqualified, whether you have to go for the apex...

At Monza, there was a clear pecking order in the teams and the race was won when Hamilton fluffed the start. We covered that at the start of the season and there's nothing new to say.

As much as we say we like the battles further back, the facts don't bear that out. The scrap for 3rd is fantastic and currently being won by a chap who has outperformed his car regularly this season. No ones talking about that. Without Merc, we'd have a fantastic - brilliance of Riccardo, RedBull vs Ferrari development, unreliability and a few duff races from Vettel story, with both Verstappen - can he win it having been promoted and Raikkonen unexpectedly in the mix. We'd have no idea who would win, we'd be speculating, arguing, postulating and interacting daily between races on it.

Conclusion F1 needs competition at the front.

Certainly it does for me, I can't get excited about this season because either:
    • Rosberg will win the Championship - either because Hamilton is unlucky or because he screws up even more starts - and will become by far the least deserving WDC ever.
    • Hamilton will "win", except he won't because that would imply he beat someone, and it's quite clear that for the last 3 seasons his only competition is himself
    In such a situation, as I've said before, I'm following/involved for work purposes, but when I can choose, I'm choosing something else.

EternalMSC likes this.
  12. EternalMSC

Just wait till Seb wins the 2017 championship, it will revive everybody's love for the sport...:emoticon-0165-muscl

13. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

No! Not the finger?!?!?! :'(

please log in to view this image

14. EternalMSC

Yes, yes the finger will return!
    please log in to view this image

Or this.

15. Smithers

Forum Moderator

All hail the finger :emoticon-0173-middl

16. allsaintchris.

Unless it's done in Merc/RBR style where by its a walkover with no serious competition. In which case bring on another set of rule changes in 2020!

A change to the top order will be welcome, but the novelty would be short lived if we end up with the same scenario as now.

DHCanary likes this.
  17. allsaintchris.

If he's winning at least the radio traffic won't need so much editing before broadcasting .........

18. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just you wait....

Vettel will quit Ferrari and with Ferrari panicking they'll bring Massa out of retirement to partner Kimi. Ferrari, Mercedes, and Red Bull will all have equal cars.

Kimi and Max will spend all season crashing into each other. Hamilton and Massa will spend all season crashing into each other. That'll leave Ricciardo and Rosberg to dual it out. Rosberg will forgot to turn into the first corner and will next be seen taking up drag racing. This'll make Ricciardo champion, and therefore no longer liked <ok>

True story

19. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This is what concerns me about the rule change. Pretty much every rule change stretches the field out, and it takes time for it to close up as teams begin to converge on an "optimum" package for those regulations. But the rules are allowed to stand for long enough for this to happen. Every rule change seems to be rolling the dice and hoping F1 gets lucky and two teams start with similar performance levels.

The new regulations seem set to make the cars faster, which they'll no doubt achieve. The aim was 4-5 seconds and apparently in the recent tyre test with 2017 levels of downforce on a 2016 car, Ferrari and Merc set times in that ballpark. With properly designed 2017 cars I think we'll see the quickest era of F1 in a while. I don't see the new rules helping overtaking though, other than probably making DRS more effective.

If we are to have another rule change around 2020/21, then it needs to be made with the aim of them lasting 10 seasons. They'd no doubt start with 3-4 years of domination by one team anyway, so they might as well ride that out and see what happens.

20. Smithers

Forum Moderator

To lighten the mood

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    DHCanary, cosicave and taeleon like this.