1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread Not606 2016 Hungarian Grand Prix Chat and Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by taeleon, Jul 18, 2016.

?

Who's your winner for this weekend?

Poll closed Jul 24, 2016.
  1. Nico Rosberg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Lewis Hamilton

61.1%
  3. Kimi Raikkonen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Daniel Ricciardo

11.1%
  5. Sebastian Vettel

11.1%
  6. Max Verstappen

16.7%
  7. Valtteri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sergio Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Felipe Massa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other (Please state on bold in the thread).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. happyal

happyal Active Member

A Big problem for me is the TV coverage, and what it means for a casual fan.

I don't think a casual fan is ever going to pay a subscription for Sky's coverage. So next year, when it goes behind a pay wall, I think the UK will lose a chunk of casual fans. At the moment we have some live races on C4, but they are all over the place, I'm never sure if a race is on C4 or not, and I'm looking for the information, what chance does someone who isn't as invested in the sport as me going to have.

Another problem for me if the Sky TV bias, I understand them wanting to support a British driver, but it's too much for my tastes and makes their coverage unwatchable. It's so bad I want watch it, and therefor won't pay for it. Next season is going to be the first season I won't be able to watch any live F1 races, and to be honest, if it follows the pattern of the last few season, where 1 team just runs away with it, I might just not bother watching any of it.

ched999uk likes this.
  2. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I thought the pay wall only comes in in 2019?

3. happyal

happyal Active Member

You might be right, for some reason I thought it was next year. My point still stands, as I fan I'm hunting around looking for F1, I just can't see a casual fan doing that.

Going back to Sky, who is their coverage for? It can't be for casual fans as I don't see casual fans paying for it. So it must be for die hard fans, so why aren't they treating the fans with respect? i.e. these fans know about F1, not everything needs to be spoon feed, and we know F1 history, and we know that the current crop of F1 drivers ..... well, lets just say probably wouldn't compare too kindly with previous generations.

DHCanary, Smithers and ched999uk like this.
  4. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

This wouldn't be as big of an issue if there was a proper distribution of the money that the sport generates, but since Bernie sees the sport as a way to generate wealth for himself rather having the best interests of the sport in mind, this isn't going to happen for a while.

5. SgtBhaji

I'm not sure about that. There's a pretty good crop of drivers out there at present, we're just not getting close enough competition to make it a golden era.

6. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

I see your point, Happyal. The question of coverage is a vital one and your criticisms of Sky's presentation and patronising rhetoric – given that those who are paying to watch are not likely to be the casual fan – is very valid. Sky just don't seem to get that in attempting to show allegiance with the British fan, the sickeningly lop-sided bias is actually turning them away! Of course, it's only fair to say that coverage of any sport will (justifiably) weigh focus on the front runners and its World Champion, regardless of nationality; but the British do tend to have the capacity to think for themselves and make their own minds up – and this is something Sky in particular do not seem to be making much allowance for.

But I also very strongly agree with both of Bhaji's last two posts! In particular, I'd like to pick up on his last.

In my opinion, the current crop of drivers compares favourably with any previous era. The problem is one of perception and of course no direct comparison is easy (perhaps even impossible); but although all grids have some drivers better than others, I'd say the general standard of the modern era is more focussed and better prepared in every regard. Never in the past has fitness been higher. Never in the past has intelligence and awareness been so great. Never has training been better. The standard of driving in F1 today is certainly at least as high as it has ever been in the past.

It's very difficult not to look back to a romanticised view of the past but one narrative has been consistent, albeit with little blips and sprinkled with inevitable exceptions:
    In my opinion, if it were possible to plot a 'year on year' graph of driving standards from F1's inception right up to the present, it would show a general upward trend.
    -ooo-0O0-ooo-
    *Even the so-called 'pay driver' has had to be better in general. Roughly growing in proportion to F1's globalisation, the demands of sponsorship have become ever more exacting upon any such 'chosen one'. Although of course some will always look better than others, one might pick any pay driver getting onto the grid over (for instance) the last decade, and compare with a past equivalent. I'd say those further in past are more likely to be less justified in being there!
    :)

7. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

The quality of the grid is an interesting one, for a number of reasons

It's fair to say that Schumacher redefined what it meant to be an F1 driver, in terms of fitness, preparation, engagement with the team etc. and I'd agree that today's drivers are more able therefore access their own theoretical maximum performance than ever before. This points also to nurture, rather than nature being a major factor in performance, especially today.

I think also It should be fairly obvious that in F1, compared to, for example, football (soccer), the ultimate talent level should move around a fair bit from era to era. If we assume a normal distribution of talent in the population, it's clear that Football has a very efficient system for finding and developing talent - almost everyone gets to play and get trained and there's a system in place that takes the brightest talents and gives them the best opportunities to develop. It's therefore relatively likely that much of the top 0.01% of naturally talented footballers is playing elite football. If we assume the same talent distribution for F1, or Motorsport, it's should be fairly obvious that the same doesn't apply, because so few people get to sit in a Kart, few who do well have the ability to progress into competitive karting, let alone single sweaters or F1. Now I'd agree that talent isn't everything in any sport, but it's clear that the nature element is stronger outside of F1 because of opportunity.

So then we come to whether the talent level matters? I would contend, not really, it's competition that is more important. 20 Nico Rosberg's going at it, is no more or less exciting really than 20 Marcus Erricssons or 20 Sebastian Vettel's. Natural Talent or exceptional strengths contribute to wow moments, Donington '93 or Canada '12 for example, which the sport needs and lacks currently imo.

8. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think the only way to benchmark the talent is against the WDC. I think there are at least 3 to 5 drivers who could equal Lewis and better Nico if in the sister car. That's s pretty strong field, just off piste because of tiff differing performance in teams.

9. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Interesting watch

10. happyal

happyal Active Member

A lot of good points, and I accept them. I think I'm just on a little bit of a F1 downer at the moment so I've put on my rose tinted glasses on and I'm only remembering the decent races from the past. Fingers crossed for a decent race this weekend, so in 10 years time we can tell the new kids that F1 was great back in the day.

11. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

unfortunately hockenheim rarely produces anything good. I hope I am wrong this time.

F1 needs to bring back the traditional circuits. Half the issue is the lack of variety in the circuits. The old Hockenheim was unique, it gave other teams a chance if their cars were powerful but aero flawed as downforce was not as important as outright speed. Nowadays there is little to chose between the majority of circuits.

Sportista likes this.
  12. SgtBhaji

And while they're at it... Put Silverstone back to how it should be. Too many twiddly bits.

Smithers likes this.
  13. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

So I am reading that they are relaxing the radio rules now?

14. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

So they are relaxing the radio rules now? Somebody finally had some sense?

One of the hot topics in recent weeks has been the inconsistency of the radio rules.

Lewis Hamilton got things going when he suffered a malfunction in Baku and called on his team for help resetting a mode on his steering wheel, the Briton being told that the rules didn't permit such assistance. Meanwhile, teammate Nico Rosberg, who had clearly read the instruction manual, dealt with a similar issue without any need for assistance.

In subsequent races, Kimi Raikkonen asked for a simple 'yes' or 'no' with a setting, while Force India was unable to warn Sergio Perez of an impending brake issue in Austria.

That msn Rosberg was back in the headlines when he was given a 10s time penalty at Silverstone after his team guided him through an issue, thereby sparking fears that teams would flout the rules knowing that at worst they would get a penalty similar to the German's.

In the wake of a major crack down, Jenson Button put the folly of the rules back in the headlines when he was handed a time penalty in Hungary after his team helped him with a brake issue, the Briton publicly criticising the rules, claiming that the instructions he was given related to safety and not performance.

Following today's meeting of the Strategy Group, where one of the priorities was the seeming inconsistency of certain rules and how they are applied, just a week after tightening said rules the FIA has performed a major climb down - and not for the first time this season.

"At the request of the Teams and Commercial Rights Holder, the FIA has agreed to adopt a more liberal approach to the interpretation of Article 27.1 (that a driver must drive the car “alone and unaided”)," said the sport's governing body tonight.

"With the exception of the period between the start of the formation lap and the start of the race, there will be no limitations on messages teams send to their drivers either by radio or pit board.

"This approach is aimed at providing improved content for fans and spectators, as teams will now be required to provide the Commercial Rights Holder with unrestricted access to their radio messages at all times that their cars are out of the garage."

15. ched999uk

OK so I know FP1 is not an ultimate indication of performance but good to see McHonda as 4th best car. Hopefully they can continue to increase their performance.

16. ched999uk

Horner suggesting that ALL radio traffic from pit to cars will be available to broadcasters! I get the feeling that FOM Broadcast will be selective about the radio traffic they give the international broadcasters. It also appears that the teams had a 'mute' button that excluded radio transmissions from being able to broadcast! Horner says that some teams 'muted' virtually all radio transmissions!

Smithers likes this.