1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread Not606 2016 British Grand Prix Chat and Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by taeleon, Jul 6, 2016.

?

Who will be taking the top spot?

Poll closed Jul 10, 2016.
  1. Nico Rosberg

15.0%
  2. Lewis Hamilton

75.0%
  3. Sebastian Vettel

5.0%
  4. Kimi Raikkonen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Daniel Ricciardo

5.0%
  6. Max Verstappen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Valtteri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sergio Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Felipe Massa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other - Please state.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

I agree.. We don't want people losing races because the team might have put him in the wrong mode before the start or because he might have made a mistake with a mode...if you are quick and you are beaten it should be you are beaten on merit...

2. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

"FULL STATEMENT FROM THE FIA

'The stewards, having received a report from the Race Director, heard from the driver and team representatives and examined audio evidence, have considered the following matter, determine a breach of the regulations has been committed.

'Reason: Having considered the matter extensively, the stewards determined that the team gave some instructions to the driver that we specifically permitted under Technical Directive 014-16.

'However, the Stewards determined that the team went further and gave instructions to the driver that were not permitted under the Technical Directive, and were in Breach of Art.27.1 of the Sporting Regulations, that the driver must drive the car alone and unaided.'"

please log in to view this image

3. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

I dunno... they told him about a gearbox issue, it's not like they told him to push the win button.

4. taeleon

I think it's the telling him to shift through 7 that is the issue.

5. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I thought it was the chassis 101 mode that was the issue.

6. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

I actually thought it would have been the mode 101 message

7. taeleon

"A Mercedes spokesman has confirmed they have lodged an appeal with the FIA over the penalty."

8. ched999uk

Not really a surprise. With the ambiguity in the rule they would be silly not to appeal. Hopefully the appeal will provide clarity. Then the FIA can abandon the rule for 2017. Mind you do the FIA want another climbdown after the quai rubbish earlier this year?

taeleon likes this.
  9. ched999uk

So realistically we now know ignoring radio rules will cost 10 sec penalty. So if driver is in wrong mode just need to work out if being in the improved mode would gain you more than 10seconds!!!

Stupid stupid rule. Allow radio communication but not to tell driver how to drive. i.e. if a driver asks best engine mode tell him but don't tell him that he needs to save fuel, take a better line in corner x, or tyres are getting low etc. Drivers need to drive the cars, engineers know how to get best from car. Allow them to work as a team but driver has to drive the car. If that makes sense?

taeleon and TopClass like this.
  10. SgtBhaji

Depends where it happens in the race I guess. If it's early enough it may be a stop/go rather than time added.

11. Quagmireuk

Quagmireuk Active Member

Fair punishment for an unfair rule imo.

Smithers likes this.
  12. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

It was the shifting through the 7th gear message as supposedly their chassis 101 comment was allowed. It was the instruction to the driver to shift through 7th gear was seen as aiding the driver.

taeleon likes this.
  13. ched999uk

Just out of curiosity anyone know how many races Nico's gearbox has done? I think he had a change at Austria (last race) so I assume that due to 7th gear issue he will need another new gearbox at Hungry in 2 weeks. So another 5 place penalty for Nico. I wonder if it's worth Lewis using a new engine at Hungry as they will then both have penalties?

14. taeleon

That's correct about Austria being a new gear box, so if he needs a new one then he will get a 5 place penalty. For me it doesn't really matter when Lewis takes them in relation to what Rosberg is doing, so long as it's a track he can easily recover. If anything, in Hungary it might be better to be almost guaranteed 25 points with Rosberg taking a grid place and take a penalty on a track where it's a toss up between the two and that way fighting back to 2nd he hasn't really lost much.

15. JonnyBaws

JonnyBaws Well-Known Member

New Engine shouldn't be taken for the next few races..
    Best, if need be to take one at Monza or Spa where they'll clearly have the better car and down the long straights, overtaking should be easier...
    If he can get away with it, shouldn't use a new Engine at the next two races.. both not easy overtaking tracks..

taeleon likes this.
  16. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Really enjoyed today at Silverstone, probably by best time there which was mostly down to the crowd around me. I somehow ended up between Hamilton fan boys and Rosberg fan boys. It was really light hearted though, and as much as I hate the word, good banter.

There was some comedy boos and the like, but nothing serious. The podium however was a bit much, we'd all had our fun and should have applauded. We tried to clap Rosberg but were a bit out numbered!

Seemed a quite good race at the track but perhaps it looked a bit precessional on TV?

But yeah, a really good day. We even had a laugh when the British summer gave us that pre race monsoon :)

ched999uk and taeleon like this.
  17. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Missed the race, but doesn't sound like much happened on the track.

Rosbergs radio call(s) do now set a precedent. The penalty appears correct in that the messages enabled him to stay ahead of Verstappen, so to put that right seems the right call.

Stewards now need to be consistent with this going forwards but at least the teams have been given a warning that breaches will be penalised.

dhel likes this.
  18. SgtBhaji

Was there for the '92 race and ended up being with a small group of Senna fans. We had a ton of light hearted "bantz" right up until Senna conked out, then it was a ton of cheering and glum faces... followed by us all pouring on the the track. Good times. :D

Glad you had a good day man!

19. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Except to say some parts of the race was thrilling .....especially Alonso and a few others.... He really showed he still has it..maybe the results didn't reflect it but he was really the racer today...real guts, and never chickened out of a challenge.....wish he had a proper engine, as it seems the car itsef is not too bad, but sadly quite down on power.

ched999uk likes this.
  20. SgtBhaji

It wasn't a bad race to be fair. I could have been a whole lot better if they'd just let them race on full wets at the beginning.