1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread Not606 2016 Brazilian Grand Prix Chat and Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by taeleon, Nov 7, 2016.

?

Who will be the winner this weekend?

Poll closed Nov 13, 2016.
  1. Nico Rosberg

26.3%
  2. Lewis Hamilton

63.2%
  3. Daniel Ricciardo

5.3%
  4. Sebastian Vettel

5.3%
  5. Kimi Raikkonen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Max Verstappen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Sergio Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Valtteri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Nico Hulkenberg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Others: please state in bold in the thread.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. happyal

happyal Active Member

Maybe, but sometimes you've just got to accept that the other guy is in the zone, if 2nd is the best you can do better taking it rather than binning it.

Like I said, if the roles were reversed half of the people here would be saying it was a champions drive from Lewis.

I'm not really Nico fan, but on this board he just can't seem to do anything right. I mean right now, in the comments of this thread half of comments are wanting his car to blow up.

Smithers likes this.
  2. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

He has been 2nd best pretty much all this second half of the season (Singapore excepted). Tooling around picking up 2nd places is fine, but surely he wants to win in style?

His drive today was fine. Did what he needed to not to crash. But a great driver would strive for so much more. He is too content to take second place all the time. Where's the fire that burns which makes him want to win everything like a Hamilton/Vettel/Alonso?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  3. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Rosbergs playing the numbers strategy makes for poor viewing. But if I was in his shoes I'd do the same. I much rather a wdc over race wins.

Rosbergs drive wasn't a champions drive. It was exactly what he needed to do though. It was the clever drive. Take away the safety cars and Hamiltons gap summed to about a minute? Means nothing to the wdc.

4. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

The thing is he wasn't second best today, he was third best if that, on merit. I could accept it if it was a controlled drive for second place, but it wasn't, it could have been worse and that wasn't in his control.

I think in general we are pretty fair on here, if he was ripping it up like a champ and winning I don't think anyone would be arguing. But at the moment he is riding his luck and racing with one eye on the calculator. Not very exciting or inspiring, is it?

5. Quagmireuk

Quagmireuk Active Member

I'm a Hamilton fan but you've hit the nail on the head..... No point taking any risks.

It spoils the spectacle a bit but he's well within his rights, in a fast enough car and clever enough to do it.

6. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Absolutely no point taking risks today. But i don't think anybody would call it a "champions" drive if the tables were turned. It would be what it is... a sensible drive.

Why are we always looking for the injustice?

7. allsaintchris.

He needed 4 second places on the trot to win the WDC.

Fair enough playing it safe, but you can be too safe! Why not try and get the win to seal the deal and make sure it doesn't to go the last race? Not just today, but USA and Mexico he seemed too happy to sit in second, Mexico it nearly cost him.

8. Viva_Giggsy

Viva_Giggsy Well-Known Member

Hope Rosberg doesnt regret letting Hamilton though at Monaco. If he hadn't of done that he would be world champion now.

9. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The 5 sec penalty was for minor infringements, not flag contraventions. Riccardo into a closed pit lane and Massa before the Saftey car line are Saftey related issues - another example of Charlie madness!

When will Charlie understand that if a race is not safe to start, it doesn't get safer with a delayed start in continuous rain. He hasn't got clue.

10. SgtBhaji

It's easy for us to be critical, because we're not the ones making a decision that could wind up killing sombody. In the end it all worked out okay. We got a pretty good race, managed to get it all in and no injuries. I'd call that job done.

11. SgtBhaji

Might come down to that one move at the end of the season. That'd be a tough one to live with.

12. allsaintchris.

A season rarely turns on one incident. He can consider his dodgy defending in Austria as well if he wants to look at things he could have done better.

The only other result of significance this season is of course Malaysia, which is far more pivotal than the above in terms of a points swing between the two.

Rosberg has easily done enough to get his WDC, but shame he couldn't try and 'win' it a little bit more. Perhaps he'll put a show on next week and put his stamp on it once and for all.

13. SgtBhaji

You'd still kick yourself.

14. allsaintchris.

Rosberg seems happy to finish second, so am sure he'll still consider it a good season.............

Or he'll find some small furry animals and inflict a lot of pain on them.

15. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

I reckon Trump will win it.

16. SgtBhaji

Stop brining up the Orange one... I'm trying to pretend it was all just a bad dream.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  17. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

After today I really hope Liberty Media listen to the overtures of Michelin and bring them back as soon as possible. Pirelli wet tyres just not worth the bother which is the root cause of all these delays.

Verstappen enlivened the race, and he really earned more than third, but Red Bulls racy strategy cost him dear in the end.

Nasr and Ocon particularly impressive also, in cars that can't be easy to drive in these conditions.

Can't help but think Nico shouldn't have let it get to the final race, nail biting 2 weeks for him now.

Number 1 Jasper and SgtBhaji like this.
  18. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Whilst seeing drivers go all out for the win everytime is exciting, I can't blame Nico for playing the numbers game, never did Nicki Lauda any harm. and if he becomes world champion ( I still fancy Lewis to do it) , at least he has not lucked in like his dad!

DHCanary likes this.
  19. moreinjuredthanowen

I think Nico has been really **** last 3 but mainly in race playing safe. Hamilton has trounced him in quali and put Rosberg in his place.

Rosberg had this but Hamilton has reignited the hunger and stepped to top gear. he has been imperious in the last races.

I really hope next year we see red bull within a 10th of Mercedes. I really do.

20. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

If Rosberg hadn't let Lewis passed in Monaco he'd be the WDC.