1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Not to worry, but we do lack a finishing touch sometimes - My thoughts on the Brighton game

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Darth Tash, Sep 24, 2017.

1. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

Think I need a box of tissues after that comment
    Absolute filth!

2. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

I'm hoping so mate, it would explain a lot. I don't believe him a manager to make such a ****ty change without reason. Heard liverpool fans trying to say Rafa only won anything cos of Stevie G, like he was the only thing saving him, he's apparently clueless for not seeing Hamman should have started.
    As if Gerrard somehow is greater than the other 10 players on pitch, so much so that it doesn't matter who you'd picked. Weird how Gerrard showed up in the second half, newt to do with Benitez's substitutions whatsoever

3. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Perezis our weakest link.
    When he starts it feels like we only have 10 men.
    We desperately need a proper number 10.

Kryptonite likes this.
  4. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

I agree I just don't see what Perez brings to the table.

5. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

He was poor, kept giving the ball away. Not penetrative enough <steady>

6. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Honestly I think we have to try Merino and Shelley on the pitch at the same time at the expense of Perez. He harries a bit but offers nothing else. Murphy in for Atsu as well for the next game, with Gayle or Mitrovic up top.

Not brilliant options, but we can't keep trotting the same thing out?

7. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I'd like to see Mitrovic with Gayle for Joselu and Perez. The problem would be either Mitrovic and Gayle would have to do the work Perez does to fit in with Benitez's preferred style. Essentially working across the line and closing down the holder. I don't think Mitrovic or Gayle looks particularly comfortable fulfilling that role because at times you can find yourself just in front of your own box.

Mitrovic tried this for Benitez last year but it just meant we lacked a focal point. Gayle - teaching an old dog new tricks may be very difficult. He is more old school and very very selfish in his play.

I think Shelvey should come in for Hayden, and Mitrovic for Joselu regardless. Its Liverpool though and I see little point in sitting back. Their weakness is putting their defence under extreme pressure. So are we not just better playing 2 up? Have to say Coutinho looked in stellar form so its gonna be a tricky game regardless. It might be the wrong one to drop Hayden in a lot of ways. Coutinho is the master of getting in between the lines.

Have to say I'd retain Atsu despite a poor game. If I was going to play Murphy, what about him in the 10 role instead of Perez? Just off Mitrovic.

8. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

I'd play Haidara in the 10 role right now.

Warmir Pouchov likes this.
  9. Lord Jonjomort

Actually that's a really good shout. Atsu was poor, but he's not as directly wasteful as Perez; Atsu tends to keep the ball, it's his end product that's poor whereas Perez just loses the ball. Murphy has been used as a 10 before and is young/enthusiastic enough to be worth a punt. He can do the same harrying, but would hopefully be a better carrier and more of a threat. We surely spent £12m for a reason?!!?!? The only difference I can see is with Liverpool liking to play between the lines, we could potentially go with Hayden, Shelvey and Merino (dropping Perez) to give us a lot of bodies a bit deeper. Pull Atsu and Ritchie a bit closer to Mitro and it's got legs (though I hasten to add Liverpool will win).

Mitrovic needs to play. As you say, they need to be unsettled and aren't going to be too perturbed by a low-confidence Joselu or little Dwight (he's always a bit rabbit-in-headlights against bigger teams). We're going to need someone to hold the ball up and scare the likes of Matip.

10. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Said this before the game, was too easy for Brighton to work the ball around and move it out wide and Shelvey, Hayden and Merino would have better across the CM positions than Ayo in the AM position (love him to bits but for this game I thought proper CM's were needed) and Gayle shoud have started, Joselu is an option but not a great one, and doesn't stretch teams as Gayle can. The lack of possession in the first half could have been nullified by having a bit more pace on the counter.

11. Judge Death

Judge Death Well-Known Member

played the No10 role for Norwich in quite a few games last season, think this would be a very decent option for us to try out - or alternatively play Murphy right wing and move Ritchie into the No10 slot.

Warmir Pouchov likes this.
  12. Lord Jonjomort

Problem we have is Perez is really a striker, not any kind of support role; it's surely got to be better to have something new there and not keep plodding on with Diame or Perez.

13. Warmir Pouchov

Maybe we should have bought a No.10?

14. Lord Jonjomort

please log in to view this image
    please log in to view this image

15. Warmir Pouchov

I'm sure this was hilarious...

16. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

You can debate who was ****er than who but the stark reality is we were comprehensively outplayed by a team we did the double over last season and who strengthened less than we did over the summer. 9 from 6 is great but I don't think it changes that this is going to be a long, hard season

17. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

I think Rafa rolled his dice on this one, it was cagey from both teams and could have gone either way. The first goal was crucial. I think this is how we will approach a large chunk of games this season and a lot of games will be close, there will be ups and downs along the way but I suspect we will be more than ok.

It wouldn't surprise me if we stifle and then beat Liverpool next up. Funny old game and all that.

18. Lord Jonjomort

Touche.

19. Warmir Pouchov

So what you are saying is Rafa can't adapt?

RAFA OUT

20. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Got to say I also agree with a few comments I've seen on here and elsewhere regarding Rafa's subs.

To slow and not impacting the game, Gayle should have been on within 10 mins of half time for Joselu who (again someone said it the other day) looks like the new Shola i.e. tries hard but is ****e.

Gamez on for Mbemba??? with 7 mins to go? wtf is the point? Don't care if Chancel was injured or whatever if you need to take a defender off with under 10 to go and chasing the game you add another striker or midfielder not a straight swap. Or put Lejuene on and go 3 at the back move others forwards.

Love Rafa but his insistence on playing the same formation with no scope for alteration depending on the situation is poor.