1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Not panicking yet, but our squad depth is letting us down - My thoughts on the Bournemouth game

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Darth Tash, Sep 17, 2022.

1. Darth Tash

Darth Tash Well-Known Member

I don't think we'll be in a relegation scrap, mainly because our defence is will see to it that we keep enough clean sheets to bag us 1/2-0 wins and draws, where as our defence is awful last season.

I think we'll do enough to be mid table in time for christmas.

Obi Wan likes this.
  2. Dr Nickilas Van Helsing

Dr Nickilas Van Helsing Well-Known Member

I think Newcastle will be in the mix until January and then they'll spend a few quid.

3. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

Yeah, I can see the train too, but I'm not panicking because I'm on the platform not the track.

For me the issue is that maybe the train is running a little late due to problems on the track, so things might be delayed getting to where we want, but we'll still get there (and not get run over).

Don't blame me - you started the train analogy. :biggrin:

Hamish McMagdad and Munson. like this.
  4. Dr Nickilas Van Helsing

Who are newcastle better than? Who can they actually beat? Where's the goals going to come from?

5. Darth Tash

I really am pissed off we didn't sign Maddison personally. I can't believe we were only willing to pay 40m for him.

Maddison is clearly better than anyone we have at the moment, and he can play as a CM/CAM or winger.

11 goals and 12 assists last season from midfield in a **** leicester side and still banging them in.

I strongly believe if we had gotten him we'd be literally in the top 4 right now, because we'd have beaten Wolves, Bournemouth and Palace.

magpie290761 likes this.
  6. Dr Nickilas Van Helsing

I'd rather have Wayne routledge and obertan than Fraser and Almiron

7. Darth Tash

I'd say we're probably 8th best in the league, if not on current form.

Our attacking threat is not great without our best players, but I believe we'll have Bruno and ASM back soon enough and be a threat again. Remember we scored 3 vs Man City.

If we cannot score much, our defence is usually pretty solid. 3 clean sheets out of 7 is good, only City have done better so far. We don't concede many.

7 goals conceded so far, 5 of them vs Liverpool and CIty.

8. Hamish McMagdad

Hamish McMagdad cult leader

Can you explain how the hell you think Trippier was our only creative spark when a few of us think he looked like Colback reinvented on the wing then? He never passed the ball forward, he constantly played side passes and backwards passes all game and refused to run with the ball.

Whilst you're at it, explain how you managed to think Joelinton looked good and had a few good runs? Again - Joelinton looked like he did under Bruce, with a new trait of rather than ****ing it up once in the box. he now simply trips himself up before he reaches it this time around losing the ball constantly.

Thirdly Bruno was the best player we had yesterday at pressing and winning the ball back - Doing what a deep lying playmaker is supposed to do, so how he was wasted in his natural proper position rather than some imaginary role that some of our number on here think he's meant to play simply because he's Brazilian is beyond me. Just because he's better than the other lot we have in midfield doesn't mean we change his natural position and make him an attacking midfielder.

Lastly, I thought Isak scored a penalty and that was it. was marked out the game and was too isolated and in my view guilty of sitting too deep when we were attacking, looks fast but looks like a stiff breeze could knock him over. So how he gets a lofty 7 in your scoring system is surprising.

I do however agree with your view on Willock the Pillock.

9. Darth Tash

At least Almiron is useful defensively and in midfield in some ways, he just can't score or assist much.

Munson. likes this.
  10. Dr Nickilas Van Helsing

oh-really.gif

Fair enough I'm not going to agree on the 8th part, but that's your opinion and time will tell.

11. Hamish McMagdad

He's a let out for the team when they need a breather, give the ball to Billy the limpet and let him run with it a bit.

12. Dr Nickilas Van Helsing

True he's still better than the other pair of clowns... Yeah at least he's good at something

13. Dr Nickilas Van Helsing

I'll explain all the points raised

This newcastle team is **** :emoticon-0148-yes:

14. Darth Tash

Can you at least admit that trying to utilize stats about chances created was a poor attempt to make me look stupid?

Because Trippier is always a threat when delivering from set pieces and sets up chance after chance from these dead ball situations.

Also his run and attempt won us the penalty. He didn't do that great, but in the later stages of the game when we were struggling to put Bournemouth to bed, his runs in behind and his balls in were the only thing that looked remotely dangerous.

I agree Joelinton wasn't really at his best, and maybe I rated him too highly, but at times he did do some good work breaking up play and bombing down the wing, trying to get us up the pitch, and in reality came the closest to scoring with his two attempts from the left wing.

Bruno can do a good job in a deeper lying role, but I stand by my point. He was much better when playing RCM last season with Shelvey sitting back, and managed to create better chances and scored CRUCIAL goals last season.

Bruno is not an outright defensive midfielder, he's an all round CM who can play deep if needed, but in reality it depends on what the team needs, and I think it would serve us better if we had Shelvey fit and we could have Bruno bombing forward more.

I gave Isak a 7 because he scored a good penalty, and he had literally no service, was clearly frustrated and still came out of the box at times to win the ball back and showed some initiative.

In a game that lacked quality, he showed composure at the right time.

magpie290761 likes this.
  15. Dr Nickilas Van Helsing

I think he wins more tackles in one game than longstaff gives away possession and that's quite something

magpie290761 and Hamish McMagdad like this.
  16. Dr Nickilas Van Helsing

Gamareas was **** yesterday but Howe taking him off ended newcastles threat completely,so I guess he just wasn't 100 %.

Did gamereas play with that bald **** last season other than at Southampton? I honestly can't remember then playing together.

17. Hamish McMagdad

Genuinely wasn't trying to make you look stupid. your views on the game appear polar opposite to mine and a few others and I wondered if it was skewed by watching the game with "pundits views" skewering up your own. Its why I asked what you watched it on.

Your Trippier set pieces bit would have made sense if he had actually taken more than 1 yesterday. After hitting the post he left the rest to Target who was **** at them. When I said he wasn't running. He infuriated with me by refusing to run with the ball, even when he won the penalty he wasn't dribbling he simply hit a hit and hope cross (which had nobody waiting for it). Still can't work out how the hell VAR have screwed us over so much this season yet granted us that.

18. Geordieginola

Geordieginola Well-Known Member

I agree Maddison would have converted us from a mid table lower half team to a top half team.

19. Dr Nickilas Van Helsing

There's definitely been a rise in negativity and frustration within these boards and the fanbase in general.. It's down to people expecting too much and being overly optimistic in the 1st place.

magpie290761 likes this.
  20. Darth Tash

No, not getting robbed by VAR would have positioned us 7th place after a difficult run of fixtures only losing once to a last minute winner at Anfield.

magpie290761 likes this.