1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Nosebleed when winning a league game to date

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Sep 30, 2018.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Morning Nuggets

It seems getting reliable stats on the internet is not as simple as it should be. The stats I was looking at look to not have been updated to include the last couple of games under Klug. Meanwhile Soccerbase has two different entries for Luke Woolfenden with his matches split between the two (not that he scored).

You’re right about Sears of course, but it looks as though Carayol only got the one against Preston? When did he score the other one?

Regardless of those meaningless end of season matches I think we can safely still draw similar conclusions.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

It’s finally happened, I knew it had to eventually - we agree on something.

3. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

And I stand corrected on Carayol, one goal not two. “Fake news” everywhere! Goals from midfield was indeed an issue last season. Our goals seem to be more evenly distributed around the team this season, which is good, but we are not scoring nowhere near enough.

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I didn’t see the Brentford game so perhaps.

For me Grant Ward is one of those players who looks like a footballer, is quick, has energy and he can run with the ball, but he doesn’t deliver anything. He can’t cross, he can’t beat a man, he doesn’t play through balls, pick out clever passes - as a general rule and I am talking generally here - more often than not an attack will peter out or you will get from him a pass to the side. Every now and then something will happen more by luck than judgement, but we can’t afford for one of our attacking players to be such a passenger when you compare him to what Edwards gives us or the quality of Nolan’s finish the other day.

Someone compared him to Lee Martin and although his gait is different I think the comparison has merit.

San Diego likes this.
  5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

And I think here is the problem we have Nuggets. I don’t rate Ward but who would I play there? Nobody obvious.

I think the manager has questions to answer as to why he has brought in loan players who can’t get in the side ahead of our own.

6. Nuggets

Indeed, not enough options. If Edwards is not on form, and he's often nullified away from home, then we don't create much at all. Before that 2-2 draw with Birmingham, we had only scored one away goal in the league. That's clearly not good enough. Nolan thankfully stepped up on the weekend with a goal, but we need more consistent performances from those attacking midfielders. The flipside is if it's fair to expect instant, regular match-winning performances from players who are making a jump up in division? That aside, this lack of creativity will hopefully be somewhat alleviated by the returns of Huws and Dozzell.

I was an early fan of Ward, who I thought was badly used by Mick and shunted into a defensive central midfield role for most of last season. Hurst has given him opportunities out wide, but while he's putting in the odd good performance, he is not posting goals or assists. As an attacking player with proven Championship experience, I really hope he steps it up over the next few weeks because this team clearly needs his influence.

7. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Agree.

There is a good player in there somewhere. He hasn't actually featured that often to consider him to have a sustained run in the side.

Hopefully Hurst sticks with him tonight as the alternative appears to be Graham or using Sears out wide

itfcptc and Nuggets like this.
  8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I don't think the midfield one is a problem of Hurst's making and that's clear from last season's stats - I think the players he signed permanently have stepped up (the jury is still out on Harrison and Jackson). Edwards is a great option, Nolan looks like at least a good one. In any given transfer window you would ideally look to add two or three high quality players to augment your XI. That leaves us with at least two more midfield berths (left mid and the second CDM) plus two full back berths that are not generating enough and if you are playing only one attacker I think you really need at least all but one of the five midfielders to be able to make something happen in attacking areas.

So from a goalscoring perspective I can see now how this system is supposed to work now and I think we have got to the bottom of why it isn't. For many weeks I was scratching my head.

What's the solution? We are not quite solid enough to keep playing for 1-0s so I don't think Hurst can do a lot more than keep his players fighting and working hard and hope for the best in terms of not getting stranded until January.

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I don't think there is a good player in there but I agree there is no better option out wide at the moment if you are sticking with this system.

10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

The script is almost written for Andre Dozzell to come into the side and be that influential player and perhaps that would raise the level of and encourage those around him just enough to make the difference in games.

11. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I agree with pretty much all that's been said about Ward - technically very gifted and comfortable on the ball, but unfortunately i don't really know what his role in the team is, and doesn't dictate/change a game.
    I would actually stick either Sears out wide, or at least give someone like Rowe a chance - a natural wide man who can take players on.
    He may be absolutely pants, but surely can't do any worse than Ward atm.
    If Hurst didn't think him good enough, why not send him out on loan or sell/release him?
    I do like Hurst, and his philosophy, but sometimes he seems just as stubborn as old Mick.

12. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Ward?Meh,too lightweight in every aspect of his game Give Rowe a chance.

13. Nuggets

We either stick with the same system, and hope that players are getting familiar and comfortable with their roles and are willing to take attacking risks (knowing they won't be dropped after making a mistake), or we rip up the formation and do something else.

A 4-4-2 does not appeal to me. We only have Jackson and Sears available as strikers, and our youth ranks exclude our two brightest attacking prospects, Morris and Folami. We could bring back Drinan from the conference, but he hasn't scored in 13 games for Sutton United, so I seriously doubt he's the answer. We could have one striker and one attacking midfielder playing off the striker, but then I think you're best employing either the current formation or Hampy's recommended 4-4-1-1. A 3-5-2 could work, with the right personnel this time, but we lack quality in the wing-back positions. Yes, Donacien could do a job on the right, but the left? Kenlock? Graham? Shift over Edwards? Not good enough in my opinion. In that position, I'd give Edun a chance. I think he looks defensively lightweight, but he's played left back and left midfield for youth teams, so presumably knows the position well. To play 3-5-2 against Boro this evening, our best best is a back five of Donacien and Edun as wing-backs, and Chambers, Nsiala, and Knudsen in the middle.

Personally, I'd stick with 4-2-3-1 against Middlesbrough, and maybe even retain it for Swansea. I feel it is a formation that can work for us, we just need to ensure our best players are on the field and we have a little more balance. I'd restore Bart, Donacien, and Edun (replacing one of Skuse or Chalobah) in the starting eleven and opt for an attacking four of Edwards, Nolan, Ward, and Jackson.

itfcptc likes this.
  14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Now you mention it, Pennington, Nsiala, Chambo would be a solid back 3 with Knudsen LWB and Edwards RWB.

Put Chalobah, Dozzell (Skuse for now) and Nolan in the middle and Sears and Jackson up front.

Or you put Donacien at RWB and Edwards up front, but I’m not sure Donacien can get up and down and attack.

Something along those lines would definitely work and there is no chance we will try it in reality.

15. Nuggets

That back three is solid, but the problem with those wing backs is that Edwards cannot defend and Knudsen cannot attack or cross a ball to a sufficient standard. I think Donacien would be a better bet on the right and Edun would provide more balance on the left. Knudsen could always come in for one of Nsiala and Chambers, who have not had good seasons so far, and Knudsen has hardly been playing to a consistent standard. The issue with Donacien at right back is that Edwards is theoretically left out of the starting eleven, unless we use your idea of having him as a floating, attacking presence across the midfield areas. To me, the strongest formation we can field tonight using 3-5-2 is:

Bart
    Chambers / Nsiala / Knudsen
    Donacien / Dozzell / Chalobah / Nolan / Edun
    Edwards (roaming)
    Jackson

16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Don’t agree at all, he (Knudsen) certainly can because played that role for Denmark excellently.

Edwards may not be able to defend but neither can Spence and he’s had some game time. I would be inclined to try it.

17. Nuggets

He's played four times for Denmark, and Denmark played 4-3-3 for the two caps he had this year. Watching Knudsen at Portman Road over the last three years, I do not rate him as an attacking player at all. He scores the odd goal against Norwich, but that aside he cannot cross the ball, he is too safe in the attacking third, and he does not look comfortable with the ball at his feet in our own half, let alone outside the opponent's penalty area. I'd keep him in central defence if we're playing with three centre-backs, he's a far better defender than attacker and at least we get to avoid his long throws.

Agreed on Spence, he can't be much worse than Edwards. But my opinion is that Donacien will bring a better balance in that right wing back role and we can accommodate Edwards further up the pitch.

18. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

On Knudsen I don't think that is down to ability. He has rarely had the opportunity to get forward in either this or Mick's side. I have seen enough from him occasionally to see that he could be a threat there, he does have the ability to attack a full back and pick out a pass - crosses are often flat but that's because it's like a muscle you have to flex week in, week out. Why am I not saying that about Ward? The answer is that he's not a naturally left sided player.

19. Nuggets

Well I guess there is no harm in trying Knudsen at left wing back? While he hasn't played there for Denmark, I don't know if he's ever played there under Mick when we went 3-5-2? I'm assuming he has? It's interesting to note that he was played at centre-back when we went 3-5-2 against Brentford in that first half (although maybe that down to lack of options in the three centre-back positions, rather than Hurst not rating him in that position, so if we are playing 3-5-2 tonight, I expect Knudsen will cover in the middle again due to Pennington's suspension). I think Edun could do a job left wing back, has he has played there, has the energy to get up and down that flank, and looks to have more balanced attributes. If you want to give 'one of our own' a chance, then should Kenlock be given the opportunity there. I know he isn't rated highly on here, and one of my mates who I go to games with strangely despises the lad, but he looks decent going forwards and did well under Hurst in pre-season, for what that's worth.

20. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

vs Croatia, Knudsen was employed very much as a wing back and it was a better performance than any I have seen in a Town shirt. I don't massively rate him anywhere near the likes of Cresswell or Mings, so don't get me wrong, but we have the squad we have and we have to make the most of the players we have.

The only player I would not try something with is Spence, because he has nailed down his position already in front of the radio on a Saturday afternoon.