1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Nosebleed when winning a league game to date

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

I don't see what my comments on a forum are going to do regard the result in the last sentence you've put.

Sorry mate, it's up to the players and Hurst to get their finger out their ass and get a win, at the 12th attempt vs Boro.

They talk a ruddy good game. All Hurst's pressers go on to Kingdom come.

When we win, I'll be positive - something many wouldn't ever do under Mick but there we go - I will be more than happy to do that. I hope it starts vs Boro Tuesday.

Gerken going on about the bants and music being good around the place and it's a happy place to work.

Cry me a river Dean. I don't give a toss if you and your pals are having fun listening to the Grease Mega Mix right now, I care about results.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Well Gerken pulled off an absolutely incredible save to earn us a point. If you were the boss would you pat him on the back for that or grill him for flapping on the second? I'll give you a clue - he's very well aware already that he didn't get hold of that ball, he was there.

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

The fans are the 12th man and no question influence results and the fortunes of the club.

4. Westlake33

Stick with Gerken Yorkie! Deserves it.

Saw the punch - sure - that's poor, however there was two more phases of play that we had the opportunity to clear it.

Made some good saves, Hurst's gone with Gerken, I would keep faith and see if he can repay us. :)

5. Westlake33

In the ground, absolutely anyone not supporting the lads for 90 minutes - sure.

For a forum, no - write what we want.

6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

If you write what you write on here I struggle to imagine you chant Paul Hurst's name at the top of your voice on the terraces, but maybe you do.

7. Westlake33

I'm overseas at the minute, but might be going to Millwall v Ipswich if back.

With ANY manager, I support the team for 90 mins. Join in with any songs, do my bit.

Just like any fan really.

I joined in with ' Paul Hurst's barmy army ' for the Blackburn game, the only one I've been able to attend in person so far.

8. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what's more painful at the moment supporting town or reading these playground arguments between Westy and Yorkie!!

9. Westlake33

Well there you go!

10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Supporting Town is an absolute pleasure at the moment so that’s an easy one.

11. Westlake33

Just be nice if we could bloody get a win tomorrow.

12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

This stuff about McManaman has made me realise what problem we really have, that's creativity and it's not something we can solve before January unless players come in from injury or from the youth ranks. We can only really afford for the CDM not to be contributing regular assists and goals.

13. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

It’s taken you this long?

fieldmarshall and Westlake33 like this.
  14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I thought it was the WAY we were playing, playing too deep - but it's not, we don't have creative players and that's why we're playing so deep.

15. Nuggets

To an extent, yes. You can make a conscious decision to play deep and hit teams on the counter, but I don’t think this team sets out to play like that, especially at home. I think our main issue is that, defensively, we are poor in possession and frequently give the ball away. This naturally invites pressure. While in attack, we look quite comfortable on the ball at times, but lack any cutting edge or a player who seems willing / able to regularly make incisive passes.

Under Mick’s later years, we were often put on the back foot because players were not comfortable in possession, however, whenever we got it to the likes of Lawrence or Waghorn, they were able to engineer quick moves upfield through their quality. In my opinion, this squad currently lacks someone with that talismanic capability. Huws, Dozzell, Edwards, and possibly Nolan could be that type of player, but they’ll need regular games to get to that level, if they ever reach it.

San Diego likes this.
  16. Nuggets

While it would be nice to get the win tomorrow, I think it would be unfair to expect it against an in-form Boro team. A point would be a good result, and an entertaining game that matched the quality of the last match of the 2017/18 season would be an added bonus.

17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Waghorn was really not a talisman, neither was Garner and Lawrence was never our player. I would have rather kept hold of David McGoldrick.

But in terms of creative midfielders, we have not let anyone go. If you look at our midfield last season then Skuse got one, Ward got one, Carayol got one and Celina got 8. If you take Celina out of the equation as a loan player then that is a very, very low benchmark. Grant Ward actually played 31 goals and scored once. Downes, Nydam and Rowe failed to net once between them in a combined 30 appearances.

The player still in the squad with the most goals last season? Jordan Spence with 3.

Ward we all knew was not up to the task but I have to say I didn't realise it was as bad as this last season from the midfield.

As for Freddie Sears, he didn't score at all.

We do need to put the past aside and give players a chance to prove themselves but I think in many ways we need to be a lot more ruthless with some of these individuals who are not contributing - Grant Ward has had a decent run in the side now and generated nothing at all - and swiftly replace them with players performing in the U23s.

18. Nuggets

Waghorn got 16 goals and 11 assists last season. Most our positive play seemed to involve him. When he didn’t play, we struggled. Also see Lawrence, top scorer in that near-relegation season and somebody who made things happen and had a genuine spark of creativity and finesse. I agree Garner was never that influential for us, hence why I didn’t name him.

Yes, this is a major concern. Nolan, Edwards, and Chalobah already have more between them this season, if you take out Celina.

I would check your facts. I remember him scoring a couple towards the end of the season. I was there when he scored on the last day of the season against Middlesbrough.

As one of the more optimistic supporters on the forum, I thought you’d be a bit more supportive of Ward? He was impressive against Brentford and one of our best players in the match against Bolton, looked our best threat. He was awful against Birmingham though, but I think he’s one of the few Mick players who has improved from last season. If we are playing with 4-2-3-1 against Boro, I’d give him another chance. Rowe played yesterday, so won’t be involved, and Ward looks adaptable at both left and right wing to accommodate Edwards.

19. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

In my opinion McG was the best footballer we've had for a long time, our problems seem to stem from not enough people piling into the box when we go down the flanks, very often the move comes to a halt because there's no one there to receive or we've one player surrounded by 5 or 6 giants , we seem to be creeping back to MM tactics of long ball and don't go too far up the pitch, disappointing.

20. Nuggets

Forget that comparison, I think Hampy has been looking at some outdated stats. Ward and Carayol got two goals last season. Spence also got four goals rather than three.