1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich Vs Stoke, Sat 13th Feb @ 15:00

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by zogean_king, Feb 6, 2021.

?

Who will win?

1. Canary

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. Potters

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. No-one

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Reading

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

I thought so too (as you can see from my posts above!) But in the post-match interview Farke seemed to be saying it was actually that he had been poked in the eye??

2. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

He may have been later on in the match, but IMHO, not in this incident. At no time did his hands go to his face, which would be a natural reaction to a facial injury.

3. Golden Eadie 2

How we failed to score from that pass is a mystery. Symptomatic of our previous four games maybe.

GozoCanary and zogean_king like this.
  4. mike555

mike555 Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth !! Bom dia from sunny France .

GozoCanary likes this.
  5. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

To return to the Mario question, I think it's tricky, and depends on which league we're in, and who is first choice 10 at the end of the season. I can't see it making sense for both Vrancic and Stiepermann to still be here next season, but if Mario maintains his place in the team, then I think he should get a new contract and Stiepermann be moved on. I do wonder whether Farke will evolve our lineup in such a way that there's no 10 role in the team, which would make it even harder to justify keeping Stiepi and Mario.

6. Canary Rob

For me, Stiepermann better suits our system and gets the best out of Pukki - we have never looked more fluid going forward than when Stieps is on form.

Unless Dowell rapidly improves (and probably even if he does), I’d rather keep both players. You need a large squad in the Premier League and injuries happen - three number 10s, given how crucial the role is to our formation, us not too many. And it’s not like Stieps or Vrancic will be expensive by Premier League standards.

Just my view <ok>

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  7. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

I'm struggling to see a case for Vrancic to stay particularly when squad sizes are limited. Could possibly see him staying for a year if we stay in the Championship depending what happens to other players. If we go up particular if the likes of Buendia & Cantwell stay then I think we need to say thanks for what you've done, but we need to move on. If we do go up I think the number 10 role is one we need to upgrade.

8. Canary Rob

On another different point - how good was Giannoulis? (Ok, that horror pass was truly awful, but otherwise). It felt like we had Max on the left hand side as well.

9. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

He looks very promising

10. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

Your original post simply made me sad that anyone's reality might be such that "the pleasure to be had from the miniscule chance of winning" might actually seem worth more than anything else they might do with £2. The reference to fandom was because I feel similarly sad for anyone to whom life offers so little that there is nothing but football fandom to fill the void.
    Also, my reply does in fact incorporate a point about rationality. Whether it is rational to do something (e.g. buy a lottery ticket), based on placing a higher value on this (the pleasure to be had .......) rather than that (the cost), depends on whether the assessment of relative value is itself rational (or if you like, whether the decision that this is more valuable than that is a rational decision). Hence the question of how bad one's reality must be if such an assessment/decision is to be rational.

11. robbieBB

This ^. Also, someone commented on how Cantwell benefited from having Buendia in the side. Add an in form Stiepermann, and all three of Cantwell, Buendia and Pukki benefit. I'd go further and say that Aarons also benefits. Sadly, I don't think we are going to find any like for like replacement for Marco.

12. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

You spent most of the season banging on about Leitner and Stiepermann one has been completely frozen out the other injured or sick most of the season.

Hardly finger on the pulse views

13. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I can see both arguments about Vrancic/Stiepermann. I think their futures at the club are linked.

On Stiepermann, he has 1 goal 2 assists (all comps) since April 2019, both in his 1000 or so minutes this season. Whilst he has linked up well with Pukki in the past, I completely agree, is he still the same player? Given neither Dowell nor Vrancic have an unshakeable hold on the 10 position, and Stiepermann should now be fully fit - what does it say about Stiepermann if he can't force his way into contention over the remainder of this season? My original point was that whoever isn't first choice at the end of the season probably has no future. I agree with CC that the position most likely needs an upgrade if we're in the Prem, and should somebody come in, the current 2nd/3rd choice becomes 3rd/4th choice.

Another point against Stiepermann, is that whilst his positional flexibility was lauded when he joined, we don't need a fourth choice striker or 6th choice LB*, and he can't play a deeper midfield role like Vrancic can. If the formation does change, for example to playing with two 8s rather than a 10, Vrancic could play that role (as backup...) whilst Stiepermann couldn't.

*Giannoulis, Quintilla, Sorensen, Mumba, Byram....

14. robbieBB

On the contrary Duncan, I keep my finger on the pulse all the time so as to detect any arrhythmia <laugh>

15. mike555

Leitner remains at Carrow rd because nobody wants him, apart from Robbie. Also , McClean and Hanley who he does not t rate very highly, have been two of our most consistent performers this season. Little wonder he has no time for Farke, as he has consistently proved him wrong.

16. DUNCAN DONUTS

It's totally bizzare to slate every single aspect of a team in 1st place and argue for players that have either not contributed because they have attitude problems or not deemed good enough to start or even make the squad to be included .

Handley I didn't rate much but he's probably been our best player this season RobbieBB is just too arrogant and stubborn to admit he was wrong. Ever

mike555 likes this.
  17. mike555

Handley has been injury free for the whole season and it is no coincidence that he has improved significantly. So not to have rated him before this season is excusable , but to not rate him now is sheer stubbornness. .

18. DUNCAN DONUTS

So you still think Leitner should be in our starting 11 ?

19. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

Phil would get my vote for POTS right now.

20. Golden Eadie 2

Erm, we can only have a 25 player rosta Rob, and our previous under age players have either moved on or come of age, so will be included in the 25. And we are not in the Premier League....... yet.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021