1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich v Reading

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by SuffolkCanary, Dec 29, 2022.

?

What will the result be?

1. Norwich Win

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Draw

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Reading Win

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Reading

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Puncturedtractortyre

Puncturedtractortyre Well-Known Member

Clear penalty is was then :(

2. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

Quite bluntly - No No and No!! I genuinely thought they were poor and little better than previously. I seriously believe that if they play like that against a 'stung' Watford we will lose again and if they do they had better look over their shoulders rather than the other way. They need a strong leader in the Managers seat and they need him now - not in 3 weeks time. Sorry folks but that is my genuine opinion.

Canary Spring and Bure budgie like this.
  3. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

From the list Rick uploaded , who would you want to see in the manager's seat ?

4. 1950canary

If entertainment is the priority - Russell Martin - but he won't get them up. If Promotion is the priority - Sean Dyche with the sort of fitness coach Lambert had - but get used to putting 1-0 on the guess the result thread. Best compromise choice - Wagner.

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  5. DUNCAN DONUTS

Not sure Swansea have been that entertaining despite thrashing Watford yesterday

6. 1950canary

Agree - but you were asking me to pick from a very restricted list. I would also add that from that list Martin is the last one I would choose but my priority for the Club would be financial security which goes hand in hand with Promotion chances.

7. DUNCAN DONUTS

I would go for the cheapest option probably Russell on a pay as you go contract until the end of the season or sacked for poor performances, reevaluate at the end of the season.

May as well right this season off and if they get in the play offs it will be a bonus.

We are already paying Farke's and Smith's contracts off giving another manager a multimillion pound deal would be a big risk .

woodbine likes this.
  8. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

I’m halfway with you on this, but I think it’s too negative.

No doubt the same frailties and flaws were well in evidence - we struggled to carve out clear cut chances, struggled to cope with the press etc etc. Same old story.

The difference was the team and individuals played with desire. That, in my opinion, reaffirms what I have felt and said for a while - Smith is a decent coach and he had good ideas, but the squad was wrong for what he wanted to achieve and he was inflexible to that, so both Smith and the players gave up believing in his plan.

So yesterday we played in Smith style (as that’s what they have been coached to), but with much more energy and enthusiasm. Right decision to get rid of Smith, but it won’t guarantee us success without a major stylistic change.

I agree we need a new manager ASAP. We need someone to instil a different system which better suits the hand we’ve been dealt.

carrowcanario likes this.
  9. woodbine

woodbine Well-Known Member

I would agree with this. Just write this season off, see what Russell can do, if there's no improvement by the end of the season, then regroup in the summer.

And as you say, we're still paying Farke and Deano off, so financially it would make sense.

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  10. DUNCAN DONUTS

We could potentially sign a new manager, get relegated and end up paying off 3 managers contracts before the season ends .

11. 1950canary

I thought I was being negative. There is no reason why we cannot get promotion via the playoffs. Burnley and Sheff Uld have flown but the rest are not brilliant. We won't get relegated with Dyche, Wagner or most of the other contenders but we might with the completely inexperienced duo in place at the minute. Get somebody in now. If they haven't got somebody lined up then it is nothing short of criminal. Even people like me who had sympathy for Smith realised a few months back that it was a question of when and not if and to not have made detailed preparations would be gross neglect.

carrowcanario likes this.
  12. DUNCAN DONUTS

Yesterday's performances was one of the best I've watched in the last year with the inexperienced guy in charge.

He was part of the England set up that got to the semi finals of the World cup and has his coaching badges .

Not just some kit guy that got thrust in.

If they beat Watford he should certainly be put forward for the permanent job in my humble opinion.

If Bruce gets the job I'll despair

13. 1950canary

We can agree about Bruce. As far as the other chap is concerned - What playing experience has he got? What man management experience has he got? What technical and coaching help has he got behind him? I could go to University and get a LLB but that wouldn't make me a brilliant Barrister. This is no time to experiment in my opinion.

14. woodbine

The way I see it, we have nothing to lose this season, and seems like the perfect time to experiment. We're probably not in the best shape if we do get promoted, anyway. Taking a risk on Russell seems worth it, he talks a good game, and he puts out an attacking team. Everyone has to start somewhere, can't see why he can't get his chance here.

It will take time to remove any negative behaviours/tactics from Deano's time here.

15. DUNCAN DONUTS

Plus he is already settled in the area and knows his way around the place and more importantly knows the players.

16. woodbine

Yep, the more I think about, the more I think is the best option.

If it doesn't work, then at least we can bring someone in the summer, giving them time to prepare and settle in.

17. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

It would be completely nuts to “write off” this season. We are outside the playoffs on goal difference only.

We need a quality first team coach with a plan and who can create a system with the existing players. We need that asap. Then, even if this season we don’t go up, that will be a longer period of bedding in the new system.

If we fail to get promoted, that’s fine, but we will lose quality players and so it gets a bit harder next year (as well as higher pressure with the impending loss of parachute payments). There will be three new big money teams who have been relegated. It will be really tough.

So the assumption that we should just write this season off is predicated on the idea that we are somehow guaranteed or have a better chance of being promoted next season - nope, that’s not true. I would say our odds of getting promoted this season remain significantly higher (given where we are in the table and how much of the season has been played) than our odds for getting promoted next season.

18. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

In theory we could have the best of both worlds. If we can persuade someone like Wagner to take a contract until the end of the season with a guarantee of an extended contract if he gets us promoted via the play-offs, we could try to go up this year but also start afresh next season if it doesn't work out.

19. woodbine

I wouldn't say it's nuts. I think we need to get rid of a few players and start again. Remember when we had a young squad, but now Pukki, Kenny, Hanley, Gibson are all getting on a bit. Probably need to replace a few players like Hernández, Dowell and Krul etc. I personally don't think we're in any shape to get promoted, in my opinion of course.

20. DUNCAN DONUTS

I didn't mean give up with "write off this season " , I meant accept that we wasted half a season plus last season going backwards under Smith.

In the second half of the season concentrate on building a team that works as a cohesive unit and keep players that prove on the pitch they want to fight for the club , if not then get rid .
    Perhaps bring back all our loan players to reassess.

If we pick up momentum from now on then of course , we can hope to do enough to go up .

I would rather the temporary coach stays in charge until the end of the season personally.
    If Wagner for example flew in , he would need time to arrange accommodation get to know the facilities the squad the academy etc .

The settling in period would take weeks or months, he may clash with some of our experienced players or backroom staff , he would no doubt bring his own team of coaches in , dieticians, number crunchers etc.

I just feel the turmoil would unsettle everyone and everything with 21 games left.

If we get thumped by Watford of course that changes everything but from what I saw everyone looked like they wanted to play for Russell yesterday and only a very soft late penalty spoiled the perfect start for the rookie former England special teams coach .

One thing's for sure plan A and Smithball was a total disaster and realistically starting from scratch 25 games in just outside the play offs is not ideal , of course we can put a run together and hope the top 2 wobble but that would be like a script from a Hollywood movie.

I actually enjoyed the game last night and felt the weight and gloom lift with a new sense of optimism

Canary Rob and mike555 like this.