1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich v Everton.Carrow Rd Wed 24th June 1800hrs

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Bure budgie, Jun 20, 2020.

?

Who will win

Poll closed Jun 25, 2020.
  1. City

50.0%
  2. Toffees

33.3%
  3. Draw

16.7%
  1. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

For all Farke’s proud words, we look like we’ve accepted relegation.

The massive issue I have with that is if we’d performed these last two matches, we would only be in the relegation spots on goal difference as the other teams are struggling too.

This last five days could have felt so very different, especially as it was against two teams who don’t really have much of a season left.

RiverEndRick and GozoCanary like this.
  2. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

Two attempts on target, no goals against two teams with nothing to play for is a succinct summary on where we are.

3. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

I agree, Rob. I had hoped that the enforced break would give us time to get back that swagger and confidence from last season, but it clearly hasn't happened. We looked like a team resigned to its fate, which is so stupid since two wins would have put us level with the rest and with momentum on our side.

I think Farke's team selection today, using two limited players who we bought for the Championship next season on the probability that we will go down, rather than the players who took us up - Pukki, Buendia, Vrancic - sent a very clear message. He no longer believes in those players who won us promotion and I suspect they no longer believe in him.

The tragic thing is those players will be gone next year, along with Aarons, Godfrey and Lewis.

EDIT: I think Vrancic in particular has been treated poorly. He's not a prima-donna (at least on the pitch) and always works hard, yet he has been constantly rejected for players who have a fraction of his talent.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  4. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

Agree,,certainly regarding Vrancic.
    Quality player,who has not been given a real chance this season.

5. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

Substitute "I guess keep it tight and bring on the creative players later to try to win the game"? Martin Keown made the comment that a lot of sides appeared to be doing this in response to the interruption of the season and games coming thick and fast. Add, in our case, the injury list.

Although the game itself was uninspiring (as have been the vast majority of EPL games since the restart), DF's response to Friday's defeat was spot on IMO. Tettey, Duda and Rupp had the desired effect of making us more solid, despite all three being short of game time. We were undone by an old failing compounded by Klose's weak knee (Keane was head and shoulders above McLean and Klose when he scored).

By the way, people keep posting as though we have signed Duda on a permanent deal. He's only on loan for this season isn't he?

6. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

Yes on loan from Hertha Berlin

7. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

One over performing season, one under. In my book that balances out. At least unlike West Ham and Villa who also look likely to go down we havnt put ourselves in hock to the tune of £100 m +

RiverEndRick and Bure budgie like this.
  8. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

You're right, Robbie, we were more solid. But the bottom line is we still lost the game and got nul points, and we did this by playing a style of football of which Hughton would have been proud: 'Stay solid, and boot up the ball up to Snodgrass/Hernandez all the time and see what happens'.

You're also right that I'd forgotten that Duda was just with us on loan. That explains even less, though, why he is preferred to someone like Vrancic, who at least knows how to kick a dead ball, as we saw several times last season. Vrancic also has vision, as did Leitner, but let's go back to the good old days of Chris Hughton, eh? Nothing ventured, nothing lost. (Except the game, generally without creating a scoring opportunity).

I've read many of your comments over the last two months and I know you are really not advocating a return to the tedium of Hughton. But the basic problem which faces any club which cannot afford to buy stellar players - of how to play a more expansive style and not get picked off by mediocre teams led by managers who are similar to Hughton but a little more sophisticated - is a problem we're nowhere near surmounting. This season has been as wretched as last season was glorious, and, if we praised Farke for the latter, we must logically criticise him for this. I'm worried that next season will be a repeat of the one following relegation under Neil. Lightning won't strike twice, we're mid-table or lower, but Farke will be unsackable until the season has been wasted.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    RiverEndRick likes this.
  9. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

<cheers> lisbon. Next season will be wasted however well we do in the Championship unless the lessons of this season are taken to heart. A sine qua non for successful expansive football is solidity in defence, even if you can afford to populate your team with stellar players. The two most expansive teams in the EPL this season are Liverpool and Man City in 1st and 2nd. Don't look at how many goals they've scored, look at how few they've conceded. When you have made yourself extremely hard to score against, that's when you can enjoy the luxury of trying to score as many as you can.

goldeneadie likes this.
  10. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

From what o have seen of the season we have really struggled at CM. Tettey has been good and is relatively experienced at this level, McLean has been poor imo, Vrancic is technically better than anyone we have but he has been a bit hit and miss - good vision and passing but weak defending - I would love to see him at number 10 where he would have more freedom, I haven’t seen Leitner for so long I’ve forgotten his performances but we miss his metronomic passing, Trybull I thought would bring much needed bite to our midfield but he is quite often bypassed in the games I’ve seen.

I think we desperately need a combative CM who can pass the ball - a blend of Leitner and Tettey, a Bradley Johnson type player like Kalvin Phillips.
    The number 10 role has been my biggest disappointment this season, in this system it should be the main source of chance creation. Stiepermann hasnt dome much this season, Duda hasn’t been great since he came in. Why hasn’t Farke deployed Buendia/Vrancic/Cantwell/Leitner there, for ne they would have made a big difference.

Still in support of Farke staying next season but these two areas have frustrated me this season. The defence hasn’t been great but we have to consider that we play quite an attacking style and have been badly hit with injuries all season.

DHCanary likes this.