1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich v Bristol City

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by SuffolkCanary, Sep 13, 2022.

?

What will the result be?

1. Norwich Win

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. Draw

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Bristol City Win

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Reading

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

I like the level of debate on here lot's of excellent valid points being offered.

2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

The tactical analysis rightly focuses on how Bristol achieved forcing so many errors:

"Bristol City were fantastic out of possession, and I was impressed with the game plan they implemented. They were aggressive, calculated, and clinical in pressing opportunities, looked to specific pressing triggers, and went with aggression to win the ball back. Norwich couldn’t cope. This exposed City’s lack of possession, and the lack of gameplan in the build-up was evident."

It seems that Krul was trying to find Sargent with his clearances but it seldom worked. Perhaps with more work it will. It also points out that the successes of their high press also came with a downside:

"Bristol City’s approach unsettled Norwich, however committing the number of players forward while producing results for them left space in behind. It also meant in the transition heavy game like this, when Bristol was unable to get close enough to Norwich players, they had the quality to pick a pass to the excellent off-the-ball mover, Teemu Pukki."

That was evident in Naismith's error for Pukki's ingenious first goal and then again in his more familiar second goal. We've been mourning the loss of Buendia's through balls but last night we saw McLean (first goal assist) and Ramsey (second goal assist) as well as some excellent quick, penetrating passing from Cantwell, Núñez and Sara when he came on. Smith has obviously been working on this but now he needs to work on getting the ball out from the back without conceding possession in dangerous areas.

Hayden should make a difference, as will a left footed LB eventually, but the problems at the back need sorting soon.

Canary Rob and SuffolkCanary like this.
  3. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

We're pinning a lot of our hopes on Hayden, so the sooner he's available the better. The performances so far have been a bit hit and miss, but what is encouraging is that it seems we won't be chasing the pack once Hayden is onboard.

4. DUNCAN DONUTS

Ironically we have been lacking a proper defensive midfielder before and after Skipp , we've bought tons of other midfielders but still can't afford to pay for a DM.

We have to make do with loaning injured players in and hoping it works out .

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  5. Robbie BB

Robbie BB Well-Known Member

We have several very experienced senior players on the pitch -- Krul, Hanley, McLean, Pukki. Where is the leadership? McLean is notorious for his pointing, but it's mainly when he spots an attacking opening (I think he was doing it at the precise moment Ramsey played that through ball for Pukki). Maybe the Spanish/Portuguese-speaking interpreter could tell Krul and Hanley the Spanish for "Man on!" .................

[Edit] On-field communication, by the way, is another reason for expecting Hayden to make a positive difference. He is said not to be backward when it comes to marshalling the defence.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
    RiverEndRick and Canary Spring like this.
  6. DUNCAN DONUTS

Legend has it Hayden is just super at everything, despite never playing a single minute for Norwich, and never ever miss an opportunity to blame the two Scottish players that have been ever present in our 6 game winning streak .

Sinani and Nunez conspired to let in a shambolic goal , but it's definitely Handley and McLean's fault because reasons.

<whistle>

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  7. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

I thought it was that other Scot, Gilmour, who was to blame.

Canary Rob and RiverEndRick like this.
  8. RiverEndRick

Still is! <laugh>

9. DUNCAN DONUTS

Young Billy may turn out to be a good player but he was too mentally weak for a relegation dog fight with Norwich

10. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

It's hard to know how critical to be of Gilmour. I always felt he tried his best, but our midfield was just horrendous last season. If you had picked a group of players at random, it's hard to imagine a group who fitted together quite so badly - Gilmour, Normann, PLM, McLean, Rashica. I still feel the main criticism should be aimed at the recruitment rather than the individual players (except maybe Normann the poser).

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.

11. DUNCAN DONUTS

Languishing in Russia & banned from the Qatar World Cup.

Bonkers

12. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

I agree. He was poor choice to recruit, because we needed steel in midfield. I think it’s telling that he’s been sold to Brighton, a shame for him that Potter has immediately left. I think there is a really good player in there, but one which relies upon some muscle around him to give him the space. He was the wrong player for us, at least when you look at the rest of the squad.

Its really telling that his two best games for us - v Southampton and Wolves - were where he played in midfield alongside McLean and Normann, our two steeliest midfielders last season

13. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

He is leading the POTS race at this moment apparently.

14. RiverEndRick

No blame can be attached to a player who hasn't yet played! <laugh>

Canary Rob and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
  15. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

That argument cuts both ways though, as a BCFC fan, we gifted you all 3 goals as well, especially the first 2, you didn’t even have to work for those 2 goals, although credit to Pukki for the having the presence of mind to head the ball rather than wait for it to drop for the 1st goal

16. DUNCAN DONUTS

Do Bristol City do that on a regular basis or was the game against Norwich a one off ?

It's a recurring problem at Norwich.

17. DUNCAN DONUTS

There seems to be quite a few singing his praises and pinning their hopes on him .

He barely played for Newcastle the last 2 seasons either , of course I want Hayden to be a success but that's based on blind hope.

18. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hayden is a resounding success.....on FIFA 23!

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  19. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

A VERY reoccurring theme, sadly.