1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Norwich turnover and Covid

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Canary Rob, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

2. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

They are also taking £70 a month from me for next seasons ticket,and 20000 others I assume.Thats £1·4M a month
    Once again the fans concerns and finances mean nothing to these 'poor' clubs.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  3. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

I agree I can't see how we've spent 125m.

But I can believe that we may well have allocated that amount of money to cover expenses now and in the future i.e. 25m to pay for the academy for the next so many years. The problem as I see it is, the uncertainty with what happens with the league, what are the implications of decisions not yet taken. i.e how much do we pay in bonuses, if anything, if we stay up, albeit as a results of the season being cancelled. Even if technically we don't have to pay players a bonus because the seasons cancelled, what would be the impact for example on team moral of us being in the PL again next season and not paying a bonus, particularly if other teams did pay. If the season isn't completed does the PL lose / have to pay back money to sky etc and what does that mean for our TV income. Do we have to pay money back to sponsors, season ticket holders, Canary TV subscribers etc etc There's also the loss of other income i.e. venue hire, corporate hospitality, lose of merchandise sales etc, etc. It's not just this season, what will be the impact on next season irrespective of the league we're in, assuming of course there is a next season. There are just too many uncertainties at the moment, until they are resolved we need to budget on a worst case scenario.

On the separate issue of furlough why shouldn't the club claim like any other other business, its not as though they will be exempt for the inevitable tax rise's that will have to come in the future to pay for the measures that the government have put in place. Also what happens when furlough ends as it surely must, does the fact that we've taken this action allow us to retain staff for long after it ends even if things have not returned to normal, whatever normal is.

4. Canary Rob

Yeah I agree with the furloughing decision canario. It’s not simple this situation.

zogean_king likes this.
  5. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

I was just wondering if we can work this out, if we count that the prem moneys would have absorbed our £38 million loss for getting promoted this is what I could think of:

Operating loss for FY18/19 was £38 million
    Wage Bill £14 million
    Signings, agents etc £20 million

New contacts, players would have had a loyalty bonus and the agents would have taken a chunk, £5 million (is that realistic? Could well be higher)

So that is: £77 million without non playing staff, not counting scouting, academy, maintenance, increased tax bill etc

So yes I can see how we can spend or have allocated £125 million this year!

6. Canary Rob

How did we lose £38m getting promoted? I thought they managed to balance the books by selling Maddison etc. We barely spent a penny of that.

7. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

I think there were some big promotion bonuses, also we usually get payments of players in instalments probably over two years, those were the figures from the annual financial report. Someone would have to look into it for more details for the breakdown of that loss