1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Norwich City Vs Birmingham City. MDT.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Forgot_My_Lines, Sep 9, 2017.

?

Result:

Poll closed Sep 10, 2017.
  1. Canaries

100.0%
  2. Brummies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both Fail.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Credit to DF who concentrated on the players he had at Colney during the international break, given that we've got 7 matches in the next 22 days. Klose was the main difference, IMO, and Zimmerman played better next to him. Steidermann did a good job at LB against the threat of Jota, but the real difference lay in the 4-2-3-1 formation which looked far more solid with Tettey and Trybull in CM. The 3 points were the main thing though, as 1-0 wins are the bread and butter of the Championship.

Forgot_My_Lines and chinacanary like this.
  2. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

A win! Very happy with the return. OTBC

3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I somehow gt locked out and have a new password, but haven't copied it to my mobile yet.
    The BIG plus for me (and I'm sure many others) was no Martin even on the bench!!! <ok> Overall, I was very pleased with the team on and selection and I wonder if Wes might play instead of JM on Tuesday and CJ for Basil.
    We played well as a team and I don't think we had a 'weakest link'.Tettey did well and certainly broke up play on several occasions and earning himself a 'team yellow' in the process. How we didn't score more goals, I'll never know and we had SOOO many near misses, it was unreal.
    Edit - I don't remember any 'scary' moments from their free kicks/corners.

Edit - DF's post match comments - http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwic...es-daniel-farke-hails-mean-canaries-1-5188157

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Forgot_My_Lines and canary-dave like this.
  4. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

I was really excited to see how Klose and Zimmerman would play together. Klose is our best CB before the manager came in, and Zimmerman looks promising. I think they would make a good CB partnership, and Hanley knocking on the door and pushing them will be another plus.

How did SpiderMan play? I'm guessing he was LB/LWB?

5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

From PD's pointers - "5. Base camp - A timely win and a morale-boosting clean sheet. Add the return to fitness of Klose, Hanley’s arrival and the emergence of a new shape woven around the likes of Trybull and Tettey and there is plenty of raw material for Farke to work on. The international break must have felt an eternity but with another hectic phase of fixtures now upon the Canaries this momentum needs to be harnessed."

6. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Stiepermann was decent. Didn't bomb on like Pinto, which is what we needed. I thought he slotted in well. I'd like to see him continue.

As others have highlighted, 4-2-3-1 was a change and a welcome one. Birmingham were pretty physical, and Tettey was certainly important in combating that. Thought Trybull was very good, neat and tidy, a bit tougher than Reed, and offered a little creativity too. He was a strong contender for my MOTM, alongside Maddison

I think Trybull, Reed and Tettey could well rotate nicely in those roles through the season, should this formation continue. The better defined, wider role for Murphy suits him more too I think. I'm not sure Vrancic and Pinto is the best combination on the right side of the pitch, it probably only worked because Pinto is so dynamic. Vrancic tends to drift inside, and doesn't offer too much defensively when Pinto bombs on. Wildschut could be interesting there perhaps, but I can't see both Murphy and Wildschut playing at the same time.

7. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

IMG-20170909-WA0009.jpeg
    Yes it was good but Brum were dog ****

Forgot_My_Lines likes this.
  8. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Rusty McMartin didn't play

9. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Enjoyed watching the match today. Actually very impressed with the clean sheet. Lots of pressing when the opponents had the ball, that's something that's been worked on, no doubt.
    A work in progress of course, but lots of positives and heading in the right direction I'd say.
    Only drawback? No Martin for me to boo! :grin: I jest, i never boo our players, but we look better without him, and the other Scot I forget the name of. <whistle>
    Good stuff, glad I went.

10. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

11. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

He was certainly one of the star players on the pitch in yellow and green yesterday.
    Edit - Just read this summary of Trybull's performance - "Verdict: Broke up plenty of play and also directed his team-mates well, ordering around the attacking players in front of him to keep a defensive shape. Formed a defensive shield alongside Alex Tettey that was desperately needed after City’s recent problems and will be pleased with his efforts."

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    canary-dave likes this.
  12. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

13. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

15. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Both Paddy and Gary were quick to point out the importance of the 4-3-2-1 formation with the experience of Tettey and Trybull at last providing an effective shield in front of the defense. Klose was another key, bringing crucial Championship experience to the defense. With that was also a new emphasis on counter-attacking quickly. A hugely reassuring set of changes all around.

16. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

But, in all honesty, does a solitary hard-fought 1 - 0 win really justify such pathetic, sensationalist headlines as this from Archant? <doh> We won a game ONE NIL, FFS <grr>

17. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Interesting to see Pinto given the captain's armband. :emoticon-0148-yes:

JM Fan likes this.
  18. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Paddy's player ratings from yesterday =
    Angus Gunn – 7
    Ivo Pinto - 7.5
    Timm Klose - 8.0
    Christoph Zimmermann - 7.5
    Marco Stiepermann - 7.0
    Alex Tettey -. 7.5
    Tom Trybull – 7.5
    Josh Murphy -. 7.5
    James Maddison - 7.0
    Mario Vrancic - 7.0
    Nelson Oliveira - 8.0
    Yanic Wildschut - 7.0

I'm not sure I'd have given Vrancic or Wildschut a 7, but the others were fair.
    I liked how he mentioned that Pinto had a word with Basil when he was getting riled by some of the harsh treatment he was getting from the Brum defenders.

19. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I find it strange that he has JM as joint lowest rating, Read Norwich had him joint lowest rating with Angus Gunn on a 6 and DH Canary had him vying for MotM

20. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

For me, MotM had to be Klose (it was a CLOSE call though!!) and JM certainly didn't have one of his better games, but apparently he won the header for Timm t hit the ball from which Basil scored.

canary-dave likes this.