1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City v Swindon Town - CARABAO CUP SPECIAL

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Aug 8, 2017.

?

Predict The Result

Poll closed Aug 9, 2017.
  1. Canaries Win

100.0%
  2. Robins Win

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Stalemate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Gunn- 8
    Pinto- 7
    Zimmerman- 7
    Franke- 5
    Husband- 5
    Reed- 7
    Vrancic- 4
    Hoolahan- 8
    Maddison- 8 *Edit - Upgraded to a 9*
    Josh- 6
    Jerome- 6

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  2. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just home from the game, first one I've been able to get to in ages! So a few thoughts:

First in general I think the first half was excellent, bar the goal conceded. We moved the ball well and all the goals scored had some lovely build-up play. And for every goal there were 3 or 4 moves where the final ball didn't quite come off, or a chance wasn't taken. It's the least concerned I've ever been by going behind. Based on our first 20 minutes we were pretty irresistible, and it felt like even though they scored first, it would probably only be a consolation with us scoring 4 or 5.

Two goals conceded from set pieces is obviously concerning, and it feels like it was more a product of the system than necessarily individual errors. Hopefully we can rectify this! Given it's basically a whole new defence, it can hardly be blamed on a hangover from last season.

I love the new style, it's so easy on the eye. That said, I felt perhaps we should have been prepared to pull the trigger a little sooner. All 3 goals came from passes from around the penalty spot, but so many more broke down trying the same thing. Josh Murphy seemed to be the only player prepared to try something from further out. He was unlucky not to score tonight, with two goalbound efforts deflected wide.

Gunn- Constantly barking orders, and made a couple of very good stops. I'll have to see it back, but I'm sure he clawed one back when it had crossed the line. I was sat behind the goal and his face seemed to agree! Very nearly gave away an equaliser from a short goal kick. Wasn't surprised to see that abandoned after that scare! I wasn't sure if his positioning was quite right for both of their goals, his near post was a bit exposed. Corrected it after the second though.
    Pinto- Not a bad game, a few nice moments but I felt both full-backs could have been involved more.
    Zimmerman- If he can keep this form up all season then he's destined for much greater things. Superb tonight. I really expected him to be 3rd/4th choice CB, but right now he's clearly 1st choice. In total command at the back.
    Franke- For a Webber/Farke signing, I really expected him to be better on the ball. Seems quite nervous in possession. If he wasn't being told what to do by Zimmerman, Gunn was shouting at him. Lost aerial battles frequently too. Early in his Norwich career, but it's got me hoping there's another CB to come this summer.
    Husband- Quiet, but I'm not sure it was his fault? Frequently was well positioned to offer a lot of width, but was rarely utilised.
    Reed- Really impressed, lots of energy, good use of the ball and excellent positioning. He seemed to be everywhere at times!
    Vrancic- Didn't shine as much as Wes and Maddison, but does seem to know what he wants to do with the ball. Can't make my mind up on him.
    Hoolahan- Even playing in a slightly right-sided role, Wes was excellent. It feels like this system will get a lot out of him, and is almost a reward for all the turgid crap he's been forced to tolerate at NCFC over the years.
    Maddison- He's the real deal, isn't he!? So impressed with him, his control is excellent, some of his footwork was exceptional, and his vision is so sharp too. Really impressed.
    Josh- Not sure what to make of him really, his role felt a little odd, and I'm not sure he quite knew how to play it.
    Jerome-Typical Jerome performance. Given tiring our the opposing CBs wasn't really necessary, it seemed like a game Oliveira could have flourished in.

KIO likes this.
  3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

ONLY 8 for JM?????
    I'd have given him a 9!!
    The only other one I disagree with is Josh and I'd give him a 5

4. Forgot_My_Lines

Yea, Maddison could maybe have been a bit more than an 8. I definitely agree with him getting MOTM. He did look very good. I really enjoyed watching him, Wes and Gunn play last night. Thank god for them 3. Josh, yea, can see why you'd say 5, but I thought he did alright with a few through balls and attacks which I thought gave him an extra point on players like Husband and Franke, who didn't really do much. Jerome only got a 6 rather than 5 because of his goal.

JM Fan likes this.
  5. Forgot_My_Lines

You are right JM. Thinking about it, I was raving about him to my GF every time he got the ball to his feet. I said he reminded me of Wes, and was glad we already had another Wes sorted for the future (Unless we sell him on the cheap). I loved his turns and the way he let the ball run across him, and spin on it it. He was confident on the ball, strong, confident passing. He maybe does deserve singling out more. So Will change that to a 9.

I'll keep Josh at 6, because of the reason I gave.

*Edit- Just remembered on the train home when writing the ratings my gf said "Only 8 for Maddison?!" after all I had said about him all game. :emoticon-0111-blush

JM Fan likes this.
  6. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Morning :emoticon-0118-yawn:

7. Forgot_My_Lines

Morning and goodbye. Off to work time. I am so F'ing tired and I'm not sure that match was worth it.

8. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

It's always worth it mate.:cheesy:

9. Forgot_My_Lines

I'll remind you of that at some point this season! :emoticon-0110-tongu

I was going to say "Was Colchester at home worth it?!" But actually, looking back, it probably was. Think it's a fairly historic moment for our club, so to say you were there is morbidly nice.

10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

It wasn't the best game I've seen (ILD thought so as well) and as I said during the game that CJ still doesn't convert enough chances IMO, so let's hope that DF starts with Basil on Sunday.

11. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

12. Forgot_My_Lines

It was poor. Only a few glimpses of gold, as my ratings reflect.

In general. We passed it around like Arsenal. Side to side and back to Defenders, then side to side then back, then out of play from a long ball for a goalkick. Defence still looks dodgy, even against a lower division team. They really panicked, the final 5-10 and how Swindon didn't at least equalise is down to Gunn and a bit of luck.

Zimmerman looks very good. I'd like to see him play with Klose (when fit), I think that would be a really good partnership. Both lead the back line, both looks confident and comfortable when the ball comes to them. Pinto is just coming back from injury, when he's fully fit, that will help us. He didn't really look himself last night, but that's to be expected. Franke and Husband have both looked poor in the first 2 games. If in some games, we could find a way to work in Maddison, Wes and Pritchard (when fit), I'd be really excited. Maybe Olivera up from on his own. With those 3 in the team supporting him.

please log in to view this image

?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  13. Forgot_My_Lines

Haha! Bloody hell. How much mileage can they get out of that account?!

14. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

RiverEndRick likes this.
  15. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

We. Are. 'king. Massive <applause>

Forgot_My_Lines and K E M P like this.
  16. Forgot_My_Lines

Glad I went and dragged the gf along. Happy to help.

It would have been a lot more too. A hell of a lot of people walked away, who are in a long queue outside the Box office. The whistle went when we were still miles away from getting in, and we had tickets. Was tipping it down with rain, and a lot of people just gave up and went away. Ridiculous really. No wonder we are always in dept despite spending no money.

17. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Not read any other reports or gripes about this?
    Can't imagine what the reasons for the delay could be - are the entry searches that much more stringent / thorough? Just odd that it's only you that seems to have had major issues.
    If it's any consolation, you missed some shoddy absenteeism among our re-shaped defence for the first goal. Bet that makes you feel better, having stood in the pissing rain needlessly <laugh>

18. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Thanks for the highlights Cromer. The defending on those headers was poor to be sure, but it's early days for those 3 new defenders. Zimmermann was again the exception, but then he was Dortmund's 4th CB, even though he played in the second team to get playing time. Hopefully Franke will improve quickly. At least our goals were classy with some excellent passing and interplay.

19. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Still plenty of time to get another reinforcement in, (Raggett?) at the expense of Martin or Franke?
    Be handy to have Timm Klose back, him and Zimm could be quite a solid CB pairing <ok>

20. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Yes, I meant to say about Klose coming back.