1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City v Preston North End Carrow Road 22/8/2018

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Aug 19, 2018.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

You cannot beat a 14 hour plus round trip on a Wednesday night however the EFL have scheduled one for us, so it's Norfolk via moonlight for the travelling whites of which I will be one, my favourite roads the M6 and the A14 await as do the statutory road works between Junction 17 and 19 between Sandbach and Stoke.

URL=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/themaclad/media/image_zpsxj7ptsn9.jpg.html]
    please log in to view this image
    [/URL]

Wiki on Norwich

Norwich City Football Club (also known as The Canaries or City) is an English professional football club based in Norwich. The club currently participate in the Championship, the second tier of English football, having been relegated from the Premier League in 2016. They were first promoted to the top flight in 1972. Norwich have won the League Cup twice, in 1962 and 1985. The club has never won the top flight, but finished third in 1993.

The club was founded in 1902. Since 1935, Norwich have played their home games at Carrow Road and have a long-standing and fierce rivalry with East Anglian rivals Ipswich Town, with whom they have contested the East Anglian derby 134 times since 1902.

The fans' song "On the Ball, City" is regarded as being the oldest football song in the world which is still in use. The club participate in characteristic yellow and green kits and are nicknamed The Canaries after the history of breeding the birds in the area.

Farke's boys have not had the best of starts this season losing yesterday to the Blunts 2-1 thanks to a late Billy Sharp goal. Farke starts his second full season in charge of the Canaries having lost the services of Maddison who departed to Leicester City for 24 million. He has brought in Jordan who scores when he wants Rhodes, Tim Krul plus several German dudes.
    Hernandez seems to be the main threat but pressure is starting to build on the manager with several of the home faithful being less than impressed with their team. They seem to be decent going forward but can struggle at the back.
    With two tough away games plus this massive long haul trip Neil may utilise the squad and there may be retrospective active following Gallagher's errant elbow.
    Good place to start picking up away points

Mac's Memories of Carrow Road

Play off season under Moyes won 2-1 with Gregan scoring from 51 yards.

As we are in Norwich may get chance to tune into North Norfolk matters were this man smells cheese

2. themaclad

Ref Watch: Norwich City

The match official for Wednesday night’s trip to Carrow Road to face Daniel Farke’s Norwich City is experienced referee Gavin Ward.

Gavin, from Surrey, is in his 12th season on the EFL lists, although he has never refereed at Deepdale! In those 12 seasons he has also only taken charge of North End on three previous occasions.

The last of those was the clash at Elland Road against Leeds United in December 2015, when Jordan Pickford was controversially sent off, only to have the card rescinded on appeal – Mathew Hudson that day making his debut for the Lilywhites.

His other games in charge of PNE were back in 2013, at Brentford and in 2010 at Leicester City. Whilst he has done two Norwich games, a 2-1 win over Barnsley in 2010 and a 2009 1-0 triumph over Brentford, both at Carrow Road.

This will be his fourth game of the season, having so far issued seven yellow cards and no red cards in his three games, the last of which being Queens Park Rangers’ 2-0 home win over Peterborough United in the Carabao Cup last Tuesday. Last season he took charge of 45 games and gave out 128 cautions and six red cards.

On Wednesday night Nigel Lugg and Ian Cooper will be the match official’s assistants, whilst the fourth official will be Lee Vanamore.

3. themaclad

Norwich City 2 Pukki Tettey Preston North End 0

Norwich City line-up: Krul, Pinto (Zimmermann, 75), Marshall (Buendia, 66), Leitner (Trybull, 90), Rhodes, Lewis, Klose, Pukki, Hernandez, Tettey, Hanley (c). Subs not used: McGovern, Godfrey, Srbeny, Thompson.

PNE line-up: Rudd, Fisher, Hughes, Pearson, Clarke (c), Huntington, Barkhuizen (Barker, 79), Browne (Harrop, 90), Moult (Johnson, 70), Nmecha, Robinson. Subs not used: Maxwell, Davies, Ledson, Burke.

Attendance: 24,936 (320 PNE fans)

Referee: Mr G Ward

A 19 hour long day for a piss average performance like that, a complicated journey down and an utter nightmare of one back only getting home at just after 5 am.
    On the pitch it was probably just as bad but the worst thing about this defeat we lost to a poor Norwich side, they were there for the taking but we were not good enough on the night to do it.
    If Robinson's effort had not hit the bar and gone in we would have won this but we strolled around trying to look like promotion prospects instead of putting in the effort. Several players are way below par at the moment both Browne and Barkhuizen are way off the pace at the moment. Certainly do not know why Moult was given the number ten role behind Nmecha who received sod all service all night.
    Anybody know why Davies was left out?
    As for the game first half Norwich had plenty of possession especially whilst passing between the back four, did look dangerous with both Lewis and Hernandez combining on many occasions to get behind Fisher luckily enough their final ball was as bad as ours.
    We probably had the best chance of the half Nmecha forced Krul into a save the ball fell to Fisher, his shot ended almost in the river. Norwich perhaps should have taken the lead just before the break Leitner fired over when well placed.

The first 25 minutes of the second half were dire although thought North End were on top at the time. A game broke out in the 70th minute Norwich were pressing but the ball broke to Robinson who went on a leng run finally hitting a shot which hit the underside of the bar and was cleared to safety.
    Norwich took the lead with 11 minutes to go mainly due to North End being slightly disorganised following a substitution, Barker and Robinson had to swap wings, when play started Robinson not in the correct position, Lewis took advantage fed Pukki he fired home off the post.
    Never looked like scoring and following a corner which was cleared to just outside the box, Tettey fired it back into the net to seal the points.
    Not great time to start working lads can't go up by looking pretty.

Alex Neil felt North End were denied victory tonight by not getting the first goal in a game which produced very few chances.

Teemu Pukki’s goal for the hosts on 80 minutes was arguably the deciding factor this evening in a game which provided little in terms of goal mouth action.

The majority of the goal mouth action that did take place however, came from North End. Callum Robinson went the closest for PNE with his strike hitting the bar on 73 minutes whilst Louis Moult and Lukas Nmecha both had efforts on goal denied by the Canaries’ goalkeeper, Tim Krul.

However, when Teemu Pukki fired Norwich into the lead ten minutes from time, it gave Daniel Farke’s side the momentum to grab a second through Alex Tettey seven minutes later to consign North End to defeat.

“We kept them quiet for long spells tonight and probably had three of the best opportunities of the game before they scored,”

“There was opportunities there where we could have took the lead but we always felt that the first goal was the deciding factor because it was such a tight match, but I thought we were okay at best tonight.

“The first goal is the one that loses us the game. The second one from Alex, obviously he hits it really well but I’m really disappointed with the first one. The lad comes back inside, and we should never let people back inside and in that instance we did and that’s what’s cost us the game.”

The manager employed two strikers tonight in Nmecha and Moult which in turn nullified the hosts for most of the game, but the Scotsman bemoaned his side’s missed opportunities this evening.

Alex continued: “The one thing I will look at is the part that I’ve played in tonight because first half, we adopted a different approach with two up front to frustrate them and it worked to a point but it took away from our game. In the second half, I thought we were the better team until they scored which is disappointing so that is something that I’ll have a look at from myself. I’m really frustrated because we had our chance to get that first goal.

"I’m usually not a big fan of my team playing that way (with two strikers) but it was a bit of a means to an end because in doing that we’ve still created the best chance but the fact is that we didn’t put away our chances.

“I thought for the first 30 minutes of the second half we were on top and we bossed the game in their half, but the game changed when the goal went in, they get a lift and then Alex Tettey smashes one in from 30 yards.”

4. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

I go to a gym here in Downham Market - to keep that which is still working active - and the guys are mainly Man U supporters. When AN was appointed to PNE they laughed and I was surprised because he had got Norwich into the Premiership for one season which was an achievement. They inferred that AN is a tinkering man, inconsistent in choosing teams. Maybe he has to 'adjust' all the time and can't let the team settle. The accursed fine tuning that confuses everyone. Having done reasonably well on 3-5-1-1, he reverts to 4-4-2 just before a weekday match.