1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich city v Newcastle United

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DUNCAN DONUTS, Aug 9, 2019.

?

Who shall win?

1. Norwich

79.3%
  2. Draw

6.9%
  3. Liverpool

3.4%
  4. Reading

10.3%
  5. Newcastle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Some excerpts from DDF's article this morning - 'Leitner made 93 accurate passes, more than anyone on the pitch and more than the Magpies central midfield trio of Shelvey, Ki and Hayden combined (81)

6 - The living room feels brand new
    There was so much for Canaries fans to be proud of at Carrow Road on Saturday, on and off the pitch. From the colour and energy of the flags filling the lower Barclay before kick-off, to a roaringly positive din during the game and the celebratory waves with Farke at full-time, the stadium felt a really happy place.
    With football fans around the country set to see the rejuvenated football style on show, there was a real sense of the home faithful wanting to show the watching nation that something special is happening in NR1. From seeing Pukki's proud grin as he was interviewed by Gary Lineker, to the sight of all that yellow and green alongside a vibrant playing style, there must have been a few admiring glances from opposition supporters.

Thankfully, there's another home game coming straight up, and that support and volume will be needed even more against Chelsea. The days of Carrow Road being quiet must stay in the past.'

IMO, the noise at CR on Saturday was the best I've heard in the 12 or so years that I've been an NCFC fan and long may it continue!!!!

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/norwich-city-newcastle-six-things-opinion-1-6222538

PS - Did anyone else see the fleeting cameo by Jack (aka TNC) on MotD2??

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    chinacanary likes this.
  2. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Close, but one deserved leader currently.
    #FeedtheGoat

3. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

If only the rest of the stadium would join in more. Just imagine the atmosphere then - it would be sensational.

4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

See my post early Saturday evening - the River End was the noisiest that I've know it in all the years I've been sitting there!!! <ok>

zogean_king likes this.
  5. ThaiCanary

Okay, that is good to know. Long may it continue.

All the time I have supported City I could never understand why the River End never seemed to get as actively involved as the Barclay. They are just as passionate about the club, why not be proud and loud

JM Fan likes this.
  6. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Even upper River End was loud. By half time my voice was in bits!

JM Fan likes this.
  7. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

The Fin Stevens alternative commentary on the 3-1 victory over Toon has been blocked by the Premier League for using their content.

Shame, it was hilarious. Todd was the Dereham Diego Maradona and when Shelvey scored their consolidation he said, "oh for ****'s sake, who let the Voldemort look-alike score?"

Canary Spring and Bure budgie like this.
  8. ThaiCanary

Hopefully he can sneak it on to You Tube, I normally manage to catch them on there <cheers>

9. canary-dave

I got notification that it was on YouTube but it was blocked on there too <grr>

10. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Complimentary words about Teemu from Paul Merson in his Sky Sports column today:

"I watched him play against Liverpool and I thought: He is going to score goals. His movement is absolutely different class. The way they play - attack, attack, attack - he will score goals. And I will now be shocked if they do not stay up. The reason I say that is because he will score 20-25 goals and how many teams have ever gone down with a player who scored that many goals?

I watched them play last season and worried for them in the Premier League - they were great on the eye, but terrible at the back. And I thought: I hope they do not come up and play 4-5-1. And they have not, they have stuck by their guns, they went to Liverpool and had a go, created chances, and they easily beat Newcastle. And fair play to them. But when you have movement like that - 1) you have to have someone to find you, which they have, and 2) someone to put the ball in the back of the net, which they have as well. I look at them and I look at Aston Villa and think - who is going to score their goals? If Pukki had been playing for them, they would have beaten Bournemouth on Saturday. And that is it, you need firepower to stay up."

The Telegraph's take on Pukki is also worth a read:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/08/19/analysing-norwich-city-star-teemu-pukki/

chinacanary likes this.

11. ThaiCanary

I never got the notification :emoticon-0183-swear :emoticon-0183-swear :emoticon-0183-swear :emoticon-0183-swear :emoticon-0183-swear :emoticon-0183-swear :emoticon-0183-swear

canary-dave likes this.
  12. RiverEndRick

With Teemu getting the plaudits, it's good to see DF saying this about Todd's two assist performance:

"One thing is for sure there are no gifts. It is not like he plays just because he is a local hero or he is a youngster. He delivers and my feeling is he is pretty focused and improves from day to day. He can go further on and he must."

The exciting thing about young players is their potential for further development. Like Jamal, Max and Ben, Todd is in the line-up on merit and he's still developing, as are the others.

Rich44, zogean_king, JM Fan and 2 others like this.
  13. canary-dave

Have you checked your spam filter?

14. Forgot_My_Lines

Yeah, heard that on a podcast today. Loved it.

Todd was outstanding on Saturday. The best, most complete game in a Norwich shirt, thus far. In my opinion.

I've not been one of the ones who slag him as too weak or whatever they were saying in the Championship. I think "lightweight" was used a lot. I always thought the opposite. He may look thin and scrawny, but people didn't often get the ball away from him. He was too quick and full of tricks and skills. He would get out of tight crowded situations with the ball.

I've loved him every time he's played. Saturday was such a massive stride forward. He looked totally at home on the Premiership Level. All the things I loved that he did last season, plus a load more. That was so, so good to see.

I hope those critics last season, just give him a break, and admire his first 2 Premiership starts.

15. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Excellent comments and the Telegraph link is a good find, thanks Rick. Can't disagree with any of that.

My only gripe is, and call me a miserable old cynic which I probably shouldn't be in the circumstances, but it's all rather easy and convenient for Merson to say that after the event. I doubt he would have been so brave before the Newcastle game. Perhaps that's the way it should be and that's fair enough, but I think only Neville was brave enough after the Liverpool game to focus on our strengths and compliment us, the others are generally much too lazy.

Interesting reading by the Telegraph of Farke's comments about Pukki running back defensively. I didn't read them that way at all - I suspect that's the Telegraph writer not realising that Pukki has done that virtually every match and Farke is merely emphasising his all round game.

zogean_king, RiverEndRick and JM Fan like this.
  16. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I see someone posted a comment on the MFW article this morning re Cantwell - 'I too felt the entire team played well, especially TC – he is such a VASTLY improved player from last season and I’m really pleased that he asked for and was given the number 14!!'
    http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...-afternoon-when-the-planets-aligned/#comments

Canary Rob likes this.
  17. Forgot_My_Lines

Yep. Hence my rating of 10 for Todd. He couldn't have done any more.

Rich44 and Canary Rob like this.
  18. RiverEndRick

Yes, I read that as well JMF and felt the same.

Rich44, Canary Rob and JM Fan like this.
  19. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

<applause>
    His improvement this season has been remarkable and he showed glimpses of how he'd improved in both pre-season friendlies!! <ok>

Rich44 and Canary Rob like this.
  20. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Cantwell has been a total revelation.

He showed glimpses of this last season but I never expected him to step up so quickly, if anything I though we’d got promoted too soon for him.

Rich44 likes this.