1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Northampton Town to do one?

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Oct 30, 2015.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

The players haven't been paid this month, they face a winding up order from HMRC on Nov 16th and their owner has disappeared, it's not looking good for them.

2. Muffinthegoat

Muffinthegoat Well-Known Member

Shame. Two of my favourite away days were a late winner by Steve Massey (I think) in early 80's at the County Ground and the 5-1 at Sixfields.

3. over18and legal

over18and legal Well-Known Member

This is cobblers.

GLP, Plum, ImperialTiger and 3 others like this.
  4. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

A fixture in 66/67 against Northampton Town features in one of my earliest City memories; I believe (I'm hoping one of the boards historians can confirm) Northampton are the only team to go from the bottom league to the top and then back to the bottom in consecutive seasons. We played them on their way back down in a D2 game walloping them 6-1, Waggy & Chillo scored a couple apiece with the other two coming via Ian Butler & Ray Henderson, a check of the Chris Elton ''bible'' has the gate at a healthy 29,000+ ........ it was certainly the kind of game to get the City supporting hooks deeper into my 13 year old psyche.

5. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

That's right, a bumper week for Hull City when touching 100,000 passed through the Boothferry Park turnstiles. We also beat Norwich 5-0 and I think Pompey 1or 2 nil, three home games in seven glorious days.

6. The FRENCH TICKLER

The FRENCH TICKLER Well-Known Member

Bound to be Cobblers, <laugh> or just maybe smoke and mirrors ? <whistle>

twt.

7. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

They're covered on the local news round here.

I dont really pay a huge amount of attention, but as I understood it, they had someone interested in buying the club and that it could be saved at the last minute.

I think they owe a bit to the IR and even more to the local council, both of which want their money. Or maybe one wants it more than the other, really can't remember

I thought an owner of another club wanted to buy them which I thought odd, as I didnt think you could own 2 clubs?

Well whatever, I hope they get through it, hate to see clubs like this disappear.

look_back_in_amber likes this.
  8. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

It's Kelvin Thomas who's supposed to be buying them, he was Chairman of Oxford United, but isn't now, so has no two-club issue. It seems his deal involves the local council writing off a large part of the £10m debt the club owe them, something they seem unlikely to agree to.

9. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Ah yeah that sounds familiar.

Strange situation there for them, the Saints are deffo the biggest club in that town.

Still, I hope it works out for them. As little as I pay to the rest of it when its on, I do always listen and feel sorry for the fans they interview.

10. Red top reader

Red top reader Well-Known Member

And they're in 4th place in div 2
    Not like they're Rock bottom waiting
    For the conference !!!!

11. Red top reader

the manager wilder was at Oxford for 6 years
    And worked with Thomas

12. Red top reader

They have a midfielder called John-joe o'toole
    Perhaps he could help finish the east stand there.. Ha ha

13. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

The days when a lot of people could afford to go to 3 games in 7 days. Not many had season passes in those days either. It is and always has been a rugby town of course.
    Just under 36,000 for the Pompey game with only a handful. Of away fans. Another 32,000 ten days later against Wolves (with an away win at Cardiff with Waggy getting all 4 goals) which saw us go to the top of the league.In true City style they then lost 5-4 at Ipswich, lost 2-0 at home to Bristol City, 2-0 away to Carlisle , lost 3-2 at home to Blackburn, lost 2-1 away to Bolton before drawing 2-2 at home to Carlisle, winning 3-2,at Derby before slugging Crystal Palace 6-1 at home. Boxing day saw us beat Huddersfield in front of 35,000 and lose the next day in the away game to them in front of 32,000 (with the biggest away following for an away league game I can recall).

The Boxing Day game was the last time we had over 30,000 for a league game and you can count on both hands how often we topped 25,000 for league games since.

Great days. (I, of course, remembered all of the above but double-checked with Chris Elton's book to confirm my recollections were indeed correct). Give me an afternoon standing on a packed Bunkers, where no one had trouble standing for 90 minutes or seeing the game) over one sat in the funereal atmosphere of the KC any day.

Bengals Tiger and C'mon ref like this.
  14. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

If those attendances are correct, then some of the other games must have fallen off a cliff that season?

15. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

The attendances are correct and I cannot remember anyone having a season ticket in those days or having to buy a ticket in advance. You just turned up on match day and paid at the turnstiles.
    I also never once heard the term 'Hull is a rugby town'
    That only came about when City dropped to the foot of Div 4 and RL in Hull had a very brief boom period when they both reached Wembley in 1980. From memory I think during the time Castro refers and City's crowds both Hull and Rovers sat side by side at the foot of the RL table, which was only one league in those days and they struggled to get 5,000 between them on a match day.
    Funny though I cannot recall Hull ever being called a 'Football City' then.

16. spesupersydera

Just checked my Chris Elton - 66/67 was a bumper season for gates all round, we played to gates of under 10k only twice, both were away fixtures (Cardiff and Bury).

17. Barchullona

Those attendances are correct. Lowest crowd was 16,848 against Bolton. Last home game was 19,345 against Derby Country, though quite a few of them were from Derby. First home game was 20,438 against Bury.

In the Cup,we had 29,381 against Portsmouth with 33,107 at Fratton Park for the replay (compared to 15,710 at Fratton Park at the league game there in the September. Though it was known before the replay that the winners would play Tottenham). The second replay at Coventry had 18,448 there. No apathy regarding the Cup back then. Especially when Cup matches often cost more than a league game.

18. Barchullona

Don't have to think too hard for a reason there was an upsurge in interest that year.

19. spesupersydera

Exactly ......... hence the sub 10k crowd in Wales perhaps?

20. Barchullona

Yes, funny how in recent years so many rugby fans and commentators trot out the it has always been a rugby town/city line when the evidence is to the contrary.
    The first time I ever bought a ticket in advance was for the Stoke Cup Quarter Final, though I had treated myself to a season pass that season.