1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Next season - early debate...

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Two sides of same coin really. A vision is needed, with a manager who believes in it and has enough skill to achieve it Whether that's repair the club and results will follow or better results guiding the club to a better place.

At the moment I'm on the repair club first side of the debste, if only because we've just witnessed the shallow nature of focusing on results first

2. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Just been reading the many accolades about Arsene Wenger. While we can only dream of players such as Henry Bergcamp Vieira Fabregas Adams strutting their stuff on PR turf let alone hearing the words artestry, flair, beauty in the same breath as Ipswich Town, the one thing he always focussed on was developing the club and its youth from bottom to top.

Lets dream a little!

3. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

As I said before, aiming for promotion from the management team should be encouraged. After two seasons, the manager should certainly target top six if we consistently improve. The difference is that, as supporters, I don't think we should expect it any time soon, certainly not every season. In my opinion, I have not seen much from this club over the past two years to suggest we are realistic promotion material. I appreciate your faith in the squad, and I agree there are good players in there, but I think we are way off play off quality (after loan players depart).

For a club with our resources, squad talent, and infrastructure, I think any new manager's pitch for promotion would be clear out the deadwood, stick to a playing philosophy, make some inspired transfers, and blood the youth. Teams like Huddersfield have done this with success, so it can be done. However, our problem is that a majority of clubs in this division are using Huddersfield as a template.

I think we are all on the same page when it comes down to what changes we want implemented at the club. Fresh, new manager, entertaining football, emphasis on attack against weaker sides, and players starting on merit. This may lead to promotion, but it'll probably require a couple of transitional seasons. A factor in eventual promotion also comes down to our youth players and if a) they're good enough and b) if we can keep them. So I agree with you in principle Yorkie, but I do not agree that we, as supporters, should be expecting top six every season, and certainly next season.

Bigalreigned likes this.