1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Next Man in the hotseat

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by The Norton Cat, Apr 29, 2018.

1. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

2. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Nads, Disco down under and dansafcman like this.
  3. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Daft isn't it seeing as it seems like the plan was to get him in to stop the rot and appoint a new manager in the summer.

I read a BBC article on Everton and Allardyce and I got the impression the chairman doesn't know what he's doing and is wasting money left right and centre. It's a dangerous game they're playing. Maybe should have stuck with Sam, saved some money there and strengthened further.

**** what a few whinging idiots in the crowd think about the style of football. Who do they think they are.

4. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

Yep - careful what you wish for. Ask West Brom fans

5. blackcatforever

blackcatforever Well-Known Member

A'way big sam come back.f.f.s
    wishful thinking k.t.f.
    onward's and onward's.

Sunderlad, master-simpson and Dorset like this.
  6. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

How many pints of wine is that?

7. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Alex Rae is now odds on favourite.

I love the bloke but his managerial record is shyte. This would be a big mistake if he was appointed

8. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Well Pep earns 21m a year (over 400k a week) these days...

Its not just the players and agents getting greedy by the looks of it.

9. Steve300002

Steve300002 Active Member

10. Steve300002

Is jack ross the favourite now?

11. Burly Hurley

Who knows ?

12. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Ok he’s among them

13. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

The St mirren manager is now in the mix who knows moyes is looking for a job AGAIN !.

14. Burly Hurley

You mean the guy that @Steve300002 first mentioned at 4:02pm yesterday?

15. Steve300002

Phil parkinson now being linked.

16. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

So.....reading the link above, the Shef Utd chap still hasn't signed the contract. Hmmm

17. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

Going to be a lot of speculation in the next 2 to 3 and no way of knowing what's true or not...

18. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Sunderland's managerial search will move up a gear this week as Stewart Donald takes charge on Wearside. Donald is on Wearside this morning meeting staff at the club and familiarising himself with his new surroundings.

His deal is expected to be officially completed shortly, probably as soon as today.

With a significant turnover of players expected this summer, appointing a new boss swiftly will be the key, and it will be a top priority for Donald.

He had been monitoring Chris Wilder's situation at Sheffield United, but the former Oxford United boss looks certain to stay on Bramall Lane.

That leaves Jack Ross and Paul Hurst as the top two contenders for the post.

Hurst has a play-off final with Shrewsbury Town on Sunday, so no talks could be held in the near future.

Ross, however, will be weighing up a major decision in his career.

Here, we run down his career so far and take a look at the state of play.

Who is he?

Ross is one of most highly-rated managers north of the border after a stunning spell at St Mirren.

The Buddies looked doomed for relegation before he took over in October 2016, but he steered them to safety before storming the division this season.

He won praise both for his attacking football and his work with young players, something which has not gone unnoticed on Wearside.

The 41-year-old has been a man very much in demand, turning down Dundee last summer. He was also wanted by Barnsley following the departure of Paul Heckingbottom, but opted to stay and see through the campaign.

What is the state of play?

Sunderland have been impressed by Ross, and Wilder's decision to stay at Sheffield United will only strengthen their interest.

However, the situation is complicated by Ipswich Town, who are also very keen on appointing the former Hartlepool defender.

He is thought to be the top target to replace Mick McCarthy at Portman Road, and they have the obvious draw of being able to offer Championship football and a bigger budget to work with in terms of signing players.

Owner Marcus Evans is regarded as one of the more patient owners in football, so Ross may feel that it is an excellent opportunity to move into the English game.

What has he said?

Ross spoke about his future last week, and suggested that he was open to the idea of staying at St Mirren and leading them into a Premiership campaign.

He said: "I have always tried to be frank and honest, but that (Ipswich) is something that I am not willing or able to comment on at the moment.

“There is always a danger in football that people take it as a sign of disloyalty or that you are not doing your job properly.

“Those who know me will know that I have spent every day at Ralston (Saints’ training ground) since the season finished trying to make sure that we are in as good a place as we can be for next season. As things stand that is where I will be next season. The club is waiting to have communication with them (Ipswich). I have always been relaxed about it simply because I enjoy this job so much.

“I am excited about the fact that we have a Premiership season to look forward to. That excites me as a manager because it gives me that freshness.

“The pathway to England is one that players and managers want to take because of the huge resources available down there, but I am a big advocate of the game up here," he added.

“The recent attention and profile that the Scottish game has received through the likes of Steven Gerrard’s appointment at Rangers and the Hibs v Rangers game at the weekend highlights the fact that there are good things happening up here. There are good players and managers operating in Scotland, and we should embrace that more.

“I’ve never had preconceived ideas about how I would want my career to go other than the fact that I would like to be Scotland manager one day.

“That’s romantic for me. I always wanted to play for Scotland when I was a young boy. Now you hear young boys saying that they want to play in the English Premier League. For me, the ultimate as a manager would be to manage my country, but beyond that it has only ever been about doing the job I’m in to the best I can.”

So what happens next?

Ross will weigh up his future this week, torn between staying in Scotland or taking the gamble of heading south.

If he does that, Ipswich will clearly be in pole position, but Sunderland may hope that the club's facilities prove tempting.

If he opts against the Wearside move, Paul Hurst will be a strong contender and Donald will likely have to cast the net wider.

Alex Rae currently leads the betting, with Bolton Wanderers boss Phil Parkinson also linked.

dansafcman likes this.
  19. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

This is almost an exact opposite of Rodwell! Rodwell was brought in to do a job which he isn't doing - but we can't sack him for fear of being sued as he "technically" is meeting all of the contractual requirements - Sam Allardyce was brought in to steady a slowly listing ship and keep them safe in the premier league - he exceeded all requirements by finishing 8th and got sacked? I hope Everton get relegated next season now - didn't used to mind Everton but the way they've gone on about this is disgraceful!

Makemstine Roger and Dorset like this.
  20. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

Sounds like a decent manager with a style of football us fans love to see.
    Signing him up is going to be a tough task, but I trust the new owners to get this key position right.