1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Newcastle vs Saints, 20th April, 17:30

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Le Tissier's Laces, Apr 16, 2019.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

2. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

No result would really surprise me. They’re better defensively, we’re the better attacking side. We’re both in decent form, they have home advantage. A draw would be fine. A win would basically ensure safety for either side.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  3. fran-MLs little camera

Can't predict any individual result, but I'm sure we have 3 or 4 more points in us as a minimum.

4. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

5. fran-MLs little camera

As you say, we don't need much more to be safe....because can't see both Brighton and Cardiff going on an unbeaten run. Doesn't stop me sympathising with you....it's a crappy time and a good GD has been important to Saints on many an occasion in the past. Have to take a game at a time...Brighton are only 1 win ahead of you....it will just take one unexpected win to settle it (sadly, for either team).

6. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

If we manage to beat the toon then I think even the most nervous of saints fans can get back to the ordinary business of supporting the underdog and hope you beat Liverpool Sunday

7. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Hope you beat the Toon for our own reasons as much as yours.

If you do, then they will feel the pressure with their next game away at Brighton. We'd want them to go all out in that one.

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Although she wants KL to “owe” the club 100% ... bit mean that! <laugh>

9. fran-MLs little camera

I'm sorry...it is my job to point out the errors made by others. Twice this morning...better not be a third. Come on punk...make my day.

Archers Road and fatletiss like this.
  10. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

I think you lot will pull it off. Brighton's fixture list is awful and it really wouldnt shock me to see them get 0 or perhaps 1 point against Newcastle.

Also worth considering what may happen to Brighton's goal difference; not unreasonable to think they'll ship a load with their fixtures. Beat fulham and draw with palace and you might just be alright.

11. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Yes, the goal difference thing has been a monkey on our back this season and if we ship a shed load on Sunday against Liverpool, then it ain't going to get any better. However, if we can keep their tally down, you are right about it changing around.

We're 12 goals adrift of Brighton at the mo, but if they carry on playing like their last few games, they could cancel that out quite easily. Don't want to have to rely on that though - need to do the business on the pitch ourselves - 2 decent wins for us could well be enough.

12. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

OMG. I’d forgotten those. We got Frank Saul in return for Chivers and David Speedie in exchange for Alan Shearer. Win a few lose a few <wah>

Whether we like it or not, it’s the way it always has been and will be for the foreseeable future.

Archers Road likes this.
  13. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Newcastle have dropped a few points on the road but have a much better record at home. Still, if Palace can turn them over, I’m sure we can

14. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Please beat Liverpool.........please.

garysfc and MIsaints like this.
  15. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

This thread is funny. Reasonable points and actual facts are dismissed as they do not fit a certain pro KL narrative some of you want, while opinions on that side are lapped up like cream in the kitten's bowl. This is like the Michael Jackson fans on reddit after the recent documentary...

It is possible to be thankful to the Liebherrs but still critical of club management. We have been poorly run, from the top down, for a few years now. Thank God that is changing!

Sell big, buy low is a great philosophy when you are good at it. We really need to get good again...

16. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Weather forecast for tomorrow for Newcastle is sunny with temperatures likely to reach 21C. BT Sport camera operators are being instructed to avoid crowd shots unless they can focus on the few Toon fans expected to be wearing any clothes at all.

17. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I’m not sure anyone dismissed any posts, just pointed out that any owner can do what they like with their money.

I’m not sure anyone has said the club hasn’t been run badly over the last couple of years either. I believe everyone is in agreement on that.

18. AshbySaint

AshbySaint Well-Known Member

We only got £3m for Shearer and then a few seasons later he was sold for £15m. Both of those seem a mere pittance to what he would be worth now. How much do you think he would be worth now?

19. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Depends, if the same age and experience as when he left us, £35 - 45M. But when Blackburn let him return home, the record breaking striker would be worth about..........err........Harry Kane......however much that was last month. (before the injury)

20. timatoketchup

timatoketchup Well-Known Member

He probably gets paid more for MOTD than when he played at any club.
    I still think of him as one of our own though.

fatletiss likes this.