1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Newcastle vs Saints, 20th April, 17:30

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Le Tissier's Laces, Apr 16, 2019.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Maya gets lots of support, agreed, but I blamed his poor defending yesterday for the first goal.

2. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

If you listen to this week’s Podcast, all 3 of the panel say exactly that. Taking the player out was literally the only option as it prevented a probable goal, even if it meant going a man down.

3. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Funnily enough it was from our own corner. Stop wasting time, just kick them out for a GK.

4. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

There used to be an offence called obstruction which only ever resulted in a indirect free kick, whatever happened to that!

5. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

James took one for the team...simple as that.

Libby likes this.
  6. SAINTDON13

Dermot on Sky says no Red but understands why it may have been given. Looking at the replay did you notice how fast Josh was travelling to get back?

7. fran-MLs little camera

He said there were too many variables and annoyingly the chap interviewing him wouldn't let him expand on that because he was convinced it was a red. If you have an expert let him talk. As far as I'm concerned the distance to be covered meant that someone could catch up....because the attacking player often slows up to consider whether to pass or not. And could overplay it and force his team mate wide....and again allow defenders to catch up. I've seen Saints players break free and be one on one with the keeper and still not score. Players do have brain fade when they are in that position. So as Dermot said a goal possibility not probability.

SAINTDON13 likes this.
  8. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

The former refs have all said yellow is the right decision. I’ve not followed ref punditry enough to know whether they all stick together regardless, but that thought process doesn’t leave me scratching my head in disbelief.

I’m not a fan of these cynical body checks or shirt pulls which prevent break away attacks only receiving a yellow card, but that’s what they consistently get and that was the definition of a good yellow card in the framework of how the games has been officiated for years.

A clear goal scoring opportunity really has to be the next touch or action being a potential shot at goal

9. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

JWP had to make that foul. The ref also probably had to send him off for that foul.

And sure, players fail to score in those situations sometimes. That doesn't mean it isn't a goal-scoring opportunity, however.

10. SAINTDON13

You have just contradicted yourself. Only one person could make the decision. this time it was yellow in his mind and that is what he gave. End of story.

11. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

It's only when the decisions are in our favour that it becomes "end of story", heh.

st_brendy likes this.
  12. SAINTDON13

Doesn't really matter, we have had more bad decisions than good, but once made there is no going back. As far as I know there is no retrospective red for this kind of offence but perhaps that is the way to go?

13. fran-MLs little camera

There is no retrospective ruling when the ref present at the game has seen the foul and made a decision. The authorities don't want to undermine refs...they get undermined enough by everybody else. I am glad we are not a dirty team and we tend to abide by the rules and not treat officials like dirt...and I would have liked James to have diverted the Newcastle player with a polite request to desist, but I would have been annoyed with JWP if he was afraid to foul someone in case he got a card. Not sporting...almost certainly....but this is the real world not a serial in the Wizard.

SAINTDON13 likes this.
  14. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Corners for us is when I become most terrified. It’s the opponents best attacking chance it seems.

RSS and st_brendy like this.
  15. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's called VAR.

(Whether VAR would have overturned it is another question.)

16. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

The Liverpool one was worse. 1-1 in the 81st minute, we're knackered, they're fast, let's work a crap 20 yard blocked shot and give them an easy counter-attack goal.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  17. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

VAR doesn’t see into the future, so it couldn’t predict whether a clear goal scoring opportunity had been denied. It also wasn’t a clear and obvious error by the ref to give a yellow card.

18. fran-MLs little camera

Doubt VAR would be consulted for something clearly seen by the official....and if they start interfering with things this far down the scale we might as well all give up and watch video games.

19. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

We should do short corners <whistle>

20. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

According to the laws of football it’s not possible to score an own goal directly from a corner, so obviously we should just belt the ball down the pitch into our own net. I guess that would mean a corner to the opposition side then, so we’d be fine.

fatletiss likes this.