1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Newcastle vs Saints, 20th April, 17:30

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Le Tissier's Laces, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Positives from yesterday were Ralph changing formation at HT, Stuey and especially Mario coming on and making an impact and that brilliant save from Angus and his overall performance.

garysfc likes this.
  2. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It makes Tuesday night a difficult selection. Especially if Valery and Vestergaard are both available again.

I'm pretty confident that none of the three guys who were subbed off yesterday will start (although in Ings' case, I'm saying that on the basis that I'm not sure about him being able to start three times in a week - and Bmouth at home is more important than Watford away). But picking an XI, and a formation, from the rest isn't straight forward.

Good Lemina (if fit enough) should always be on the team sheet (the problem is that bad Lemina exists), and Armstrong rarely seems to let us down.

3. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

For me, when we are outnumbered in the middle, the centre backs are drawn out of position, covering the gaps in midfield, but in doing so leave massive gaps at the back.
    Second half, when Bednarek and Yoshida knew who they were marking, they both became more dominant and looked more comfortable.
    For our corners, we must ALWAYS, leave a proper defender on the halfway line, preferably one with a bit of pace. If JWP had been taking the corner, that led to the yellow card incident, and Bertrand he stayed on the halfway line, it would have made more sense to me.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  4. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

In terms of JWP playing rwb ... I didn't agree with it but I don't think they had a lot of choice.

Ramsay was only called up to travel to Newcastle late on Friday (along with Jones) ... god knows what time they arrived at the hotel. Doubt that was enough time for an inexperienced youngster to prepare.

5. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

6. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Valery would have definitely been sent off for taking out Salah, as would Bertrand for just thinking the same.

7. Saint John

Saint John Active Member

I agree with you, they were clean through with 2 men. That’s about as clear cut of a chance you’re ever going to see denied in this league, toon fans were furious!

8. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Salah would have exploded into 4 different parts which would have each rolled into different corners of the pitch before miraculously reuniting after the red card had been shown.

9. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

Saints Alive

You are correct that I wasn't sure about JWP. I think it has taken him a long while to realise his potential. To be honest, until Ralph unlocked his potential, I don't think most fans expected him to become as good as he currently is. At the moment, you would put him down amongst the first names on the sheet. I was ultimately wrong about JWP yet I think the same could be said for most Saints fans up until December.

Regarding Sims, he looked good when he came on as sub in one of the home games a few weeks ago and looked the part for the first 45 against Wolves. In the second half, he ran out of steam and it was obvious that Ralph had to sacrifice him for someone to shore up the midfield. It is intriguing to read some of the comments on this board where posters have been pushing for Sims. In my opinion, I would use him more as an impact player but would have to say I much prefer Shane Long who is far more of a nuisance. Sims has pace in his favour and this makes him exciting to watch but I don't think he is consistent enough at this level. Of the young forwards, I much prefer Obafemi and find him more impressive. I have a funny feeling about him being a revelation next season and think he has more chance of coming good than Sims. This season, Valery and Obafemi look like the two Saints players likely to step up next season and think that the Frenchmen is a potential gem.

The one Saints player who has been out on loan that I would like another look at is McQueen. As far as the likes of Hesketh and Reed are concerned, I think they are destined for lower league football. They need to be moved on with Saints looking to bring in better talent. I cannot see Ralph working miracle on these players and whilst he has undoubtedly improved younger players like JWP and Redmond to put both in to Player of the Season Category, it is probably worthwhile noting this hasn't happened with another youngster, Jack Stephens whilst Targett looks no better nor worse under Ralph.

I think we need to take a more balanced view of Ralph this season. Some things show terrific potential but there are other aspects he has not been able to improve largely because of the calibre of people he has to work with. Without doubt he is an excellent man manager. However, I would repeat that we would be better judging him in 12 months time when he has brought his own players in and not had to manage a pretty mediocre squad he inherited.

Brinkworth Saint likes this.
  10. Saints_Alive

I'm not saying that Sims is the next big thing or anything, Ian but he just turned 22 last month and has only started 4 PL matches with 14 PL subs appearances for us overall and just the two starts and 3 subs this season. He has made an impact in some matches but as with most raw youngsters is a bit inconsistant yet.
    He may or may not make it here but my opinion is that it is probably too early to make that call.
    Saints fans really need to learn to have patience as very few players come straight from the Academy fully formed PL footballers these days.

I've always had faith in JWP personally and he made progress under Puel (making the England squad along with Redders) but Pellegrino preferred older senior players like Steven Davis and started JWP sporadically and Hughes followed suit.

I also think that Pellegrino and Hughes made the squad more mediocre than it probably is.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019

11. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Sims is inexperienced and a bit naive. Just wants to sprint forwards all the time. It's easy to mark him out of the game if you are alert to his speed.

Ings makes it harder because he drops back and pulls players up with him. But at some point Sims will have to learn when he needs to be patient. Which really, is not unusual for a young player.

We can play three at the back, but one of the three has to be Vestergaard to plug up the middle and take away crosses. We were not left with many good options yesterday, so I don't blame Hasehuttl for his formation or tactics.

I have always said JWP belongs in the middle or at least middle-ish. Yesterday did nothing to change my mind, but JWP also isn't the best defender though he tries. I would have said why not use Stephens, but then I saw Stephens play. Would not have mattered.

I think the official made the right call, AND I think it maybe should have been red. It has to be a clear opportunity and distance us one of the factors to consider. If 65 yards out isn't going to matter than why have distance be considered at all. At the same time, it WAS at least very close to a clear cut opportunity in reality, and JWP 100% fouled on purpose. So going by gut, that's a red. By the rulebook, it's a yellow. I would not have had a problem with it ruled either way.

12. Libby

Libby 9-0

Think we took 12-1400 which you are right is the smaller allocation up there.

13. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

Which is only three fewer starts than Ely, and one less PL appearance in total. Yes Ely is a bit older, but not much. He's only 24.

I'm not for one moment suggesting that Ely could make it with us. If we announced tomorrow that we were selling him, I wouldn't bat eye lid. But given that he's so new to English football, and has played so little football (particularly in a winning Saints team), I would suggest it's too early to make a call on him either. Surely if patience is needed for Sims, then it is also needed with Ely?

14. Saints_Alive

25 at the start of next season which is getting on towards a footballer's peak years, but the biggest difference is his 250 odd Senior games as opposed to Josh's 41 and he is a Norwegian International. I think that Mo El's problems are more mental other than being inexperienced and Josh has shown a lot less fear on the pitch. If Ralph wants him for next season then that's fine but I think the fact that he isn't currently in the first team picture then I think that that call might already have been made but we will wait for the Summer to find out.

15. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

I'd personally include him in the squad ahead of Charlie from now on. Not because I rate him in any way, but just so that we can get more of a look at him before the summer.

It's pretty clear I think that Charlie will be on his way this summer, so why bother continuing to pick him (although if we take on Huddersfield needing a result, then Charlie returns to my bench!). He couldn't even get on when we're losing to Newcastle. Whereas with a bit of time, Ely might turn out to be something.

16. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Yoshida was our best defender first half :emoticon-0106-cryin

17. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Heck, setting aside the goal-scoring opportunity, JWP basically committed two yellow card offenses in one: the barge itself would have merited a yellow anywhere on the pitch, as would breaking up play with such a deliberate foul. We'd have been furious if that happened against us, and rightfully so; they don't come more cynical than that.

18. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Must have been some talk that Ralph gave James when he arrived....has turned him into a monster.<laugh>

19. AshbySaint

AshbySaint Well-Known Member

Exactly what I thought.

20. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

On the other hand, had JWP allowed the player to get past him, he would have received the dogs abuse from a certain faction of fans, it is a "new" JWP, no longer "Gentleman Jim". It was a long run from his own half and even Salah, Mane an Aguero have messed them up recently, no guarantee he would have scored.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.