1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Newcastle v Saints - Sun. 8 Dec. - 14:00

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by jonny 'hasen' shuttle, Dec 6, 2019.

1. rednright

rednright Well-Known Member

We played well but ultimately lost. We should have been more clinical as we will always concede late...its becoming part of our MO worryingly.

2. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Really..? We lost 9-0.

I still struggle to name 3 worse sides, although now we are pressing and JWP/PEH have decided to start running, we might be better than Norwich.

Who else? We beat watford, but on paper they are probably better than us. Could see them turning it around under a new manager.

3. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

God damn it.
    Been filled with what might have been all day.
    We really didn't deserve that kick in the nuts.

4. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Horrible, isnt it!?

It's one of those games, that if we had been performing well, it's just "one of those". But we are so desperate for points, its heartbreaking to lose like that

5. Libby

Libby 9-0

I wasn't too disappointed with yesterday to be honest, was nice to see us look like an actual football team.

Good support from the thousand or so that were there too. Home end was a morgue though, thought the were supposed to have a good atmosphere up there?

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  6. Brinkworth Saint

Brinkworth Saint Well-Known Member

It is. If we were 10-12th in the table and 18-22pts mark, we would shrug our shoulders and admit it wasn’t to be our day. Certainly the overall performance was better, but how to complete the job is another level we haven’t yet reached I fear. This inability will be the difference at the season’s end. How we sort this problem out is beyond my pay grade but Ralph and his team have to work fast to correct the mindset etc when we’re winning or drawing with minutes left. It’s been a problem for several seasons now with all managers at some point or other. Somebody on here actually worked out how many points we lost in the last 15 minutes or less even. I feel that IF we can move up a level as mentioned, then survival should be more assured. Danny boy though cannot go sick!!

Osvaldorama likes this.
  7. ----HistoryRepeating----

This will seem a tad bitter, but................

How on earth have Newcastle got themselves snuggled in mid table? Take out the keeper and that is easily the worst ten we've faced. Not totally sure if there was a bunch of off days out there for them, but Almiron & Williem have Shane's trapping ability when it comes to ball control. Joe Linton looks a pub player & their defence were all over the place. Tactically, well they had one plan......and it worked. I think that win said more about us than them sadly. But in saying that, we looked in control for a long period. Need to be far more ruthless about getting the second goal in future. It's becoming vital.
    ---------------

8. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

I think it was more like 1-1 with 10 minutes left he decided to gamble trying to add three points rather than playing safe for the one and shutting up shop. In hindsight it may have been safer but that's with hindsight.

9. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Had we won would not half of the UK be asking the same question abut us?

Libby and ChilcoSaint like this.
  10. ----HistoryRepeating----

Nah, we are mentally fragile & very weak in defence. But we are more than hit and hope. I can see our plan, but I can also see how our lack of quality stops us from implementing it on occasions.