1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Newcastle v Saints EFL Cup SF 2nd Leg Tue 31/1/23 8pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by MorgansBitOnTheSchneid, Jan 29, 2023.

1. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Especially with another type newbie in Bednarek. Surely asking for trouble ….

SaintinNZ likes this.
  2. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

If only we had some way of knowing that a back 5 doesn't work with these players. If only we had some way of knowing that if for some unhinged reason you're deadset on playing a back 5, DCC has to be in there and Salisu and Bednarek next to each other does not ****ing work. If only there was some way of knowing that Lavia is by far and away our best DM and regularly holds the midfield together for us, even when at 80%, so if you're trying to manage his fitness during a busy period of games you rest him in the less important games. It's a real shame that there was no way of predicting any of this before the game. Who knew that KWP was our best RB and Perraud our best LB either?

Why do we have to relive the same **** time and time again, we all know it won't ****ing work, and yet the manager(s) keep doing it.

If we continue to conceed **** goals and continue to miss easy chances at the other end then theres not much you can do about it except hope that the new players bed in and are an improvement. But why keep hamstringing ourselves by doing the same **** over and over that we know doesn't work? How many times have we been **** in a back 5 only to change to a 4 and look a million times better. It happens every ****ing time, so why go back to a back 5 again!? **** me.

Sorry about the rant. Frustration out. Moving on and hopeful that the new signings can kick us into gear in spite inept management.

garysfc, PE213, st_brendy and 6 others like this.
  3. Libby

Libby 9-0

Nah I hope they win it.

Yesterday was a good reminder for me about how you shouldn't judge a fanbase by their internet morons.

I met and chatted with around 20-30 Geordies (including some from their board on here) throughout yesterday and every single one of them was sound as **** with no exceptions.

Yeah they're gonna be insufferable when they start winning loads but that'd be true of any club, plenty of ours became so just finishing in top 8 ffs.

Plus them doing well will trigger fans of the 'istoreeee clubs (and Spurs) which is fine by me.

4. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

I know some rate him and I get it because we have had some awful defenders in the last few years but I really haven't missed Bednarek one bit and I didn't enjoy seeing him back doing the double handed WTF to all his teammates after HE watches Longstaff touch the ball inside and shoot without any pressure.

I was sick of seeing him blaming everyone else before he left and I'm already sick of it now he's back.

Osvaldorama likes this.
  5. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

He is utterly ****. No idea why we brought him back. Salisu, DCC and ABK are the only ones we should be playing, and even they aren’t great.

SaintsFan86 likes this.
  6. SAINTOSPREY

SAINTOSPREY Well-Known Member

I got the feeling last night, that had we by some miracle, got the result that we wanted, we would have been the most unpopular team on the planet? Everything was highly biased against us, nobody gave us a any chance or support whatsover. The Sky coverage was nauseous for a Saints fan, to say the least. It will go down on the CV as losing "Semi-finalists" but it could have been so much better. Even fate hates us at the moment, it's time for our fortunes to change for the better, we are long suffering and surely deserve better?

Osvaldorama and saintkeef like this.
  7. SaintinNZ

Totally! It really exposes the bias in football. Half a season with rich owners and Newcastle are suddenly a powerhouse. Yes they're having a good season but so are brighton. Nobody at sky seems to be cumming in their pants about them. Win the league, win some cups, earn the respect and then maybe we can laud them up.

8. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

The bias is geared towards clubs who have more fans than others as they want the TV ratings. It’s why it’s always “what did Liverpool/Utd do wrong when they lose rather than what the small club did right” as more people watching are interested in them so want to know why they were off the boil rather than the club with less fans/neutrals interested watching were good

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  9. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We need a volunteer for Brentford match thread please!

10. SAINTOSPREY

SAINTOSPREY Well-Known Member

Saturday 4th February 2023 Brentford v Southampton 15:00

Referee:
    Darren Bond.
    Assistants:
    Adrian Holmes, Matthew Wilkes.
    Fourth official:
    Michael Salisbury.
    VAR:
    Mike Dean.
    Assistant VAR:
    James Mainwaring.

11. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Great, another massively inexperienced ref at PL level. Plus Mike Dean.

SAINTOSPREY likes this.
  12. letissier86

letissier86 Well-Known Member

Geordies are good people from my experience

13. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

There's also a fair bit of sentimentality with Newcastle specifically, a club with a large fanbase that has had extreme ups and downs, with the only consistent element being that they haven't won a damned thing in the lifespans of most football fans. They're comparable, though not to the same extreme, to the Chicago Cubs prior to 2016: a big club in a big market whose defining characteristic is an ability to lose in soul-crushing fashion, and for whom a lot of fans had a soft spot for that reason.

Of course, if they were to actually win a title, all of the sentimentality would disappear pretty quickly.

14. SaintinNZ

And if you have an issue with state ownership the sentimentality probably already left.

15. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

I'll give it a go if no one else puts their hand up.

SAINTOSPREY and ChilcoSaint like this.
  16. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

No sentiment for me. If they weren’t owned by Saudi Arabia I would be wishing them well.

SaintsFan86 likes this.
  17. Libby

Libby 9-0

18. Libby

Libby 9-0

I've found the same with Scousers too, loads of absolute bellends from both clubs in the online world but never had a problem with them when I've seen them at matches.

19. garysfc

Ask Toss, nicely …

20. garysfc

Fans are generally morons, which is proven after every match, win or lose & definitely if after a loss. We’re no different. Just have fewer because we have fewer. #catamongstpigeons

SaintsFan86 likes this.