1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Newcastle United vs Arsenal - Matchday Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGunner, May 3, 2023.

1. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Venue: St. James Park
    KO time: 16:30 BST
    Date: Sunday 7th May 2023

Overall Record

Wins: 83
    Losses: 68
    Draws: 39

Last six meetings

Arsenal 0-0 Newcastle United
    Newcastle United 2-0 Arsenal
    Arsenal 2-0 Newcastle United
    Newcastle United 0-2 Arsenal
    Arsenal 3-0 Newcastle United
    Arsenal 2-0 Newcastle United (FA Cup)

2. Rudekid

Rudekid Well-Known Member

3. straycat_67

straycat_67 Well-Known Member

Wow, not a peep! Everyone got Coronation hangovers or something? <doh>

Excellent gritty performance by the whole team today against a very physical Newcastle who have shown great form this season. Special mentions to Jorginho (his passing, reasing of the game and stamina is superb), Odegaard (Our Captain Fantastic, this guy is immense and his left foot is not half bad) and Ramsdale (some superb saves today and a worldie in the 2nd half, nice to see a clean sheet). It's great to secure 2nd spot in the league with todays victory and am super proud of this bunch of lads. Most other years high 80's pts would have secured the title, if not for bloody Man City!

TheBear likes this.
  4. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Much as it hurts me to say it Liverpool went well above 80 points more than once in the last few years.

5. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

I was out for the entire day, so unfortunately, couldn't watch the game live. However, I've just watched it back now and I think that's a superb win.

Definitely wasn't expecting us to get a victory, so that's a massive, massive result. Some top performances all round.

Special mention to Jorginho, who many felt would struggle to combat Newcastle's physicality and power, but his positional intelligence and technical qualities proved to be extremely useful. A deserved MotM award. Ramsdale also came clutch with some huge saves. Martinelli was a big threat. Xhaka made some goal-saving challenges.
    Kiwior I thought also had a very good game. This is his 2nd full league start, against one of the division's best sides in a cauldron of an atmosphere, and he rose to the occasion. It does make you wonder what would have happened had he started ahead of Holding in the West Ham and Southampton matches...but that's in the past now.

We had to play Newcastle at their own game at times - disrupting the flow of the match, making robust challenges, calling for stoppages and taking time over fouls. There was definitely no love lost between the two sides. But it's exactly what they did at The Emirates, so they can't complain about us doing the same thing just because we won the game.

I wasn't happy with a number of challenges and sly elbows being thrown in by the Newcastle players. It was even more frustrating that the referee let so many of them go. Chris Kavanagh is honestly a horrific official. One of the worst referees I've ever seen. Hope he gets demoted the useless prick.

Overall though, it was a thoroughly entertaining match and I'm glad we came out on top.

straycat_67 and Quilllogic like this.
  6. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

2nd spot is secured and we are going to finish on our highest points tally for 15 years. I know this season won't end how we all wanted, but there's a lot to be positive about and we've made some significant strides forward this season. Here's hoping the progression continues.

<ok>

straycat_67 likes this.
  7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Big win that. Battling for the 3 points. Bodes well and this season ain't over yet. We just need City to slip up and keep winning our games.

8. straycat_67

straycat_67 Well-Known Member

emphasis on "just need", keep hoping..horse bolted 2 weeks ago :(